News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I can't even get started on 73 headliner installation

Started by WH23G3G, October 05, 2007, 12:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got all the bows in on my headliner but either I'm putting them in the wrong holes or the bows are turned upside down. I tried to turn the bows up so the curved side was facing the roof but they just swung back down when I installed them. I'm following the 71 Roadrunner installation they did in Mopar Muscle. When I had all installed the headliner was down like over 6 inches from the top of the roof. What's with those metal listing wires on the back? Where do they hook to? The bows go in the group of three little holes on the sides of the roof, but how do you know which hole to put the bow in? Should I put the bows in on one side and then do the other side or do one whole bow each?

Charger1973

The headliner bows are all marked with green on one end and different colors on the opposite end.  The order I listed them in is how they are installed in my car (from the factory).

The order is front of the car to rear of the car.  The multi colored ends go on the passenger side of the car.

#1 Purple
#2 Purple
#3 Red
#4 Orange

There are 2 clips which attach to the roof of the car and clip onto the orange bow, keeping it from being able to be pulled forward (towards the front of the car.  If you hold them up to the roof with the bow in place the mounting holes should be obvious.

WH23G3G

Now I saw all the colored ends of the bows and I had them in the exact order you specified. I didn't see any clips on the orange bow or in the roof. I have the thin metal listing wires that hang from the roof if that's what you mean. But I do not see how that holds it up. I might be getting the bows in the wrong holes. But I absolutely cannot get any of the bows to stay up. I can get them in but cannot get the contoured side to stay up. As soon as you get them in the headliner material is so heavy it just flips the bows upside down. And I don't see how the bows ever will stay upright with the new headliner installed. I will never get this in. I'll have to see if I can hire someone to put it in.

WH23G3G

Ok I had the multicolored ends going in on the driver's side. So I swapped the bows around in the right order. They go in about the same. They all go in fine, but as soon as you get a couple one of the bows flips down and all the rest come out again. I'm putting the bows in the bottom of the three holes all the way down the roof. I have both metal listing wires in the back. But I cannot see what they do, and where they would hook since the bow is covered by the loom in the headliner. Even with all the bows upright it's so unstable that working on it would cause the bows to fall back down. Do the bows all go in the bottom hole of the grouped holes along the roof?

Nacho-RT74

I think the holes are just to have your own setup done... like when you tryng to aligment stuff.

For a while you are stretching  just flip up the bows and continue stretching.

LOOOTS of patiente
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

I'm working on mine right now, I marked which of the 3 holes they came out of, that helped. You'll find the bows will stay up nicely once you start streching the front and rear in position on the teeth, so far so good, only I need to get more of the side clips!

Good luck

hutch

what are the two hooks in the back window for?  I can get my bows in but I dont know how to hook them to anything if anything.
I dont remember unhooking them when I took my old headliner out.
thanks.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

WH23G3G

I was missing one of the hooks on the last bow towards the rear window. It holds the headliner up from falling down in the back. Getting the headliner bows to stay upright was kinda of a pain but it worked. Mine doesn't look perfect and tight like some I'm seeing at the car shows, but I have that thick foam underneath so I think that causes some of the looseness. Plus I cut the dome light slit too far forward but was able to save it from becoming too noticable. I'm happy with it being my first ever headliner.

hutch

I could not figure out where the hooks go so I just chunked them.  I got mine as tight as crap to the point it was starting to tear on the teeth around the rim of where the clamps go. It turned out pretty nice.   I paid a guy to do an old LTD of mine about a year ago but now with gas prices, I figure the 150 bucks is better kept in my pocket.   It took me about 3 hours to get it in.  Not too bad.   I was kind of taken back by the amount of fabric I had to cut out around the rear window and sides.

Charger74SE

Quote from: WH23G3G on July 06, 2008, 04:30:40 PM
I was missing one of the hooks on the last bow towards the rear window. It holds the headliner up from falling down in the back. Getting the headliner bows to stay upright was kinda of a pain but it worked. Mine doesn't look perfect and tight like some I'm seeing at the car shows, but I have that thick foam underneath so I think that causes some of the looseness. Plus I cut the dome light slit too far forward but was able to save it from becoming too noticable. I'm happy with it being my first ever headliner.
I wish I had seen this topic earlier. Your suppose to start from the back and latch your hooks onto the back bow rod then work your way to the front (do not hook rear of headliner to the saw tooth hooks on the roof). Once you have all four or five rods all in place, hook the front to just a snug fit (not stretched tight), go to the back and finish hooking up the back and then do the sides. Heat in the car will eventually tighten up the headliner.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

hutch

Quote from: Charger74SE on July 07, 2008, 06:55:08 PM
Quote from: WH23G3G on July 06, 2008, 04:30:40 PM
I wish I had seen this topic earlier. Your suppose to start from the back and latch your hooks onto the back bow rod then work your way to the front (do not hook rear of headliner to the saw tooth hooks on the roof). Once you have all four or five rods all in place, hook the front to just a snug fit (not stretched tight), go to the back and finish hooking up the back and then do the sides. Heat in the car will eventually tighten up the headliner.

dohhhh!!

No wonder it was a pain in the ass.  I did it bass ackwards.  It came out pretty tight, I made one of my kids stay in the back and hold the back bow for me while I pulled the hell out of the front and sides.  Poor kid, must of been 110 in the shade.   :eek2:   No fun but it came out ok. 

I used the black office clips on the sides to hold it in place as well as I pulled. I saw it in a post on this site someplace.  Man that helps bigtime.

Moparbob

Quote from: Charger1973 on October 05, 2007, 06:27:54 AM
The headliner bows are all marked with green on one end and different colors on the opposite end.  The order I listed them in is how they are installed in my car (from the factory).

The order is front of the car to rear of the car.  The multi colored ends go on the passenger side of the car.

#1 Purple
#2 Purple
#3 Red
#4 Orange

There are 2 clips which attach to the roof of the car and clip onto the orange bow, keeping it from being able to be pulled forward (towards the front of the car.  If you hold them up to the roof with the bow in place the mounting holes should be obvious.

Question,

Turns out I have these 4 bows but there are 6 spots on the car where they could go. Anyone know which 4 holes to use?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.