News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Back Seat Installation

Started by justin1987, March 18, 2009, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin1987

Okay, this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I can't get my back seat to fit right. It sits about 1 inch too high. I'm trying to trouble shoot this, but I'm having a heck of a time. I'm about 1/2 a day away from finishing this car and this is driving me crazy.

Does the top part bolt in at the bottom where the two metal loops come down?

Does the bottom part go in first and then the top part or is it the other way around?

Does anyone have any pictures of this?

Charger-Bodie

The back rest portion goes in first.....It should slide onto the hooks toward the top near the speaker shelf, it will slide down from there. The loops at the bottom should slide onto a metal tab, which gets bent over to retain the seat back.

Next the bottom. It should slide under the back part and then hook into the retainers on the floor....You slide it back and in to that , then pull back ahead to lock it in.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mopar_nut_440_6

My 68 has two bolts which hold the rear of the back seat in at the bottom. It does not have a tab which bends over.

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on March 18, 2009, 04:45:08 PM
My 68 has two bolts which hold the rear of the back seat in at the bottom. It does not have a tab which bends over.

Cheers,

That is a common repair that people did over the years when the tabs broke off , from being bent over too many times.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Just 6T9 CHGR

My rear seat never sit right either no matter what I did to adjust the tabs etc.

I cheated a bit by putting some 1/2" carpet padding below the package tray raising it up a bit to sit closer to the top of the rear seat......don't tell anyone :whistling:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

justin1987

Thanks for all the help guys. I got it to fit a lot better, but it still doesn't sit quite right. I guess I will have to live with it.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 18, 2009, 04:47:47 PM

Cheers,

That is a common repair that people did over the years when the tabs broke off , from being bent over too many times.

Not to disagree but I have had two 68 Chargers and they both had the bolts for the seats with no evidence of a tab being fastened anywhere. I just checked mine as it is on a rotisserie and it sure appears to be factory. The body has a raised section on both sides underneath with a J nut which looks to be almost the same as they use to fasten a fender to the body at the bottom. I have enclosed a picture. It is not great quality but should show the area well. It definitely looks factory so I am wondering if perhaps they realized a problem and tried to fix it or perhaps this model year is different? Both of my cars were Canada cars.

Cheers,

James

1968 Charger R/T 440 

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on March 18, 2009, 09:52:01 PM

Cheers,

Not to disagree but I have had two 68 Chargers and they both had the bolts for the seats with no evidence of a tab being fastened anywhere. I just checked mine as it is on a rotisserie and it sure appears to be factory. The body has a raised section on both sides underneath with a J nut which looks to be almost the same as they use to fasten a fender to the body at the bottom. I have enclosed a picture. It is not great quality but should show the area well. It definitely looks factory so I am wondering if perhaps they realized a problem and tried to fix it or perhaps this model year is different? Both of my cars were Canada cars.

Cheers,

James

The pic you have there shows the bolt and clip that hold the framerail to the floor prior to welding. Someone was REALLY tricky if they held the seat back in with that bolt.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 19, 2009, 07:59:54 AM
Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on March 18, 2009, 09:52:01 PM

Cheers,

Cheers,

James

The pic you have there shows the bolt and clip that hold the framerail to the floor prior to welding. Someone was REALLY tricky if they held the seat back in with that bolt.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification!

It surprises me that both of my Chargers had this done. Could this possibly have been done at certain factories or is it just coincidence that both of mine had this done?

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440