News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice on a new windshield

Started by timinator, October 04, 2007, 06:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I need to install a new windshield in my 69 Charger. A couple of years ago a glass guy said the newer windshields are thinner and required a thicker gasket. None of the local glass shops have any knowledge of these old cars but tell me not to use a certain brand of gasket because they're junk. I'm very frustrated with dealing with their lack of knowledge. Does anybody know about replacement windshields being thinner and if so, what is the correct gasket to use? Where did you guys buy your windshields and gaskets and what brand are they? Thanks

shawnmd

I have also read that the newer windshields are thinner and that the older gaskets just don't work correctly.  I ordered a new gasket from National Moparts.  It is made by Precision Rubber Products.  It is getting installed tonight, I'll let you know how I make out.

timinator

Did you also have a new (thinner) windshield installed?

shawnmd

Yes, they are installing the newer thinner windshield- old one was sun baked.

bill440rt

I just attended a local swap meet this past weekend at Raceway Park here in NJ, & picked up a brand new windshield for the '69 I'm building. The vendor was Auto City Classic, all the way from Minnesota. He was selling glass, fuel tanks, etc for ALL classic cars.

The windshield I bought is made by Pilkington. (I'm not worried about date codes, logos, etc with this particular car.)
Anyway, he told me to stay away from the current ones sold by PPG, which are actually made in China. And yes, they are thinner.

This windshield is super thick like the originals, about 1/4" inch or so. It is tinted & has the shade band across the top. I'll be installing it with a repro gasket.

The logo does not appear to be etched, but rather printed or silk screened on instead. I very well may be able to remove it with denatured alcohol, thinner, etc. I won't try that until AFTER it's installed though, just in case for fit.

The vendor said he's been selling these for a while now, with zero problems for fit or waviness. They are the best current aftermarket windshields out there. This is good, in case dates or logos are not your concern.

Hope that helps...  ;)
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

chargerman68

just got my windshield replaced today,used my old factory gasket and the new windshield worked great.looks great and it only cost my 165 for the glass and labor.....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

JimShine

I wish correctly tinted repops were available. I really do not care for the wide medium blue tint lines I see on all the repops.

dodgecharger-fan

I think they might be on their way.

There's rear windows available for non-charger B-Bodies with a note that there's more glass on the way.

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/body_parts_auto_glass.htm#WD-AM4618T

Never mind the source - I've read some of the reviews here - it's just where I found a reference to these things.
I've never done any business with Jim's so I can't say anything good or bad nor can I make a recommendation.

moparjohn

While we are at it anyone know of a place that can install one correctly, I had a NOS gasket and a new front glass and it leaks really bad! Central Jersey  but willing to travel to the best place for replacement  John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

charger2fast4u

i bought a new gasket from Yearone and got a new PPG windshield installed from a local glass installer 2 weeks ago so far it's looking good

The70RT

Was it the thinner windshield, and how much tinting is at the top?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

charger2fast4u

well i spoke to soon now after acouple of weeks i see that it is now leaking. it looks like it is all good except  for right around the bottom left and right hand corners. across the bottom in the middle i don't see it leaking at all. is there any way to fix this without getting a new windshield.

The70RT

Quote from: The70RT on October 07, 2007, 02:01:00 PM
Was it the thinner windshield, and how much tinting is at the top?
Quote from: charger2fast4u on October 07, 2007, 01:22:27 PM
i bought a new gasket from Yearone and got a new PPG windshield installed from a local glass installer 2 weeks ago so far it's looking good

Again - Was it the thinner windshield? If it is than no without gooping it up or pulling it back out?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

charger2fast4u

i'm guessing it was the thinner windshield why would PPG make some thinner and some thicker? what did the hundreds of people do that bought the thinner windshield from PPG.

Mike DC

I dug into this a few years ago. 

I was told (by somebody who seemed familiar with the Mopar stuff) that Chrysler itself started making all their replacement windshields a bit thinner way back in the early 1970s, and their replacement gaskets were all made for the thinner windshields too.  He said the glass was thinned because everyone's OEM glass was upped in quality around the time, and that's how they were gonna be doing all the factory front windshield glass from then on. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanna get a straight-up CLEAR front glass, preferably thinner/stronger, with a gasket that fits it right, and the whole thing should be readily available locally for about $200 or so.

It would seem like a reasonable request for a windshield that was used in about a million cars originally, wouldn't it? 
But this is what we get for being into Mopars instead of Chevys.