News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Survivor?

Started by C500, October 03, 2007, 12:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

8WHEELER

Not the original engine, and a repaint, and on and on, no I don't consider that a ''Survivor''

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

"Survivor" is becoming as abused as terms like "frame off restoration" or "original" and many other buzz words used to advertise cars.  I suppose people see them on the covers of magazines all the time and get it in their heads that those are the words to describe "excellent condition"?

Forza

This guy just won the 2007 Asshat award. Congrats!

QuoteQ:  You claim the car to be a survivor, yet it's had a repaint, 2 replacement engines, different seats, new wheels.....hardly a survivor! Oct-02-07
A:   All thoughs things are true, but if you think a 38 year old 35,000 mile unrestored car with all the factory components execpt what you mentioned is not special then you need help, and a education. If you can find a better car then buy it.

Could it get any better? Why, yes it does!

QuoteQ:  do you relize that "survivor car" means that it has been unmolestd with factory paint and motor? Oct-02-07
A:   sur·viv or (sər-vīv') Pronunciation Key v. sur·vived, sur·viv·ing, sur·vives v. intr. To remain alive or in existence. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere: To remain functional or usable: I dropped the radio, but it survived. v. tr. To live longer than; outlive: Where does it say that again?

gers1968rt

I bet that bumper jack is also a survivor, from what car, who knows.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

duo-stripe

i bet it still has the matching numbers transmission-oil or something..
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

Chris G.

Geez, is anything original on that car? Maybe the back seat springs?

Some guys think with an older paint job, a car somehow morphs into an original again. I see it all the time.

41husk

I had some wrestlers that were undeafeated, in all the matches they diddnt lose :hah:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

80 to 85% of the exterior paint is original, interior all original, original engine/tranny/rear, engine compartment pretty much unmolested and contain original componets.......

So, this nice lookin' Charger is FAR from being a survivor in the hobby's sense................. I home run in baseball is totally different than a home run in dating........................   :D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

C500

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 03, 2007, 08:42:12 AM

I home run in baseball is totally different than a home run in dating........................   :D

:haha: :lolexplode:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi-hampton

He's updated saying replace the 35,000 miles with 35,000 survivor or something like that. :brickwall:  All he has to do is replace his whole Decsription with I'M A CLUELESS IDIOT  :flame: & that should be good enough. :flame:  Whata Clown.  :brickwall: LEON.

hemihead

Quote from: Ghoste on October 03, 2007, 03:43:50 AM
"Survivor" is becoming as abused as terms like "frame off restoration" or "original" and many other buzz words used to advertise cars.  I suppose people see them on the covers of magazines all the time and get it in their heads that those are the words to describe "excellent condition"?
Another abused  term , " Rare ".
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 03, 2007, 08:42:12 AM
80 to 85% of the exterior paint is original, interior all original, original engine/tranny/rear, engine compartment pretty much unmolested and contain original componets.......

So, this nice lookin' Charger is FAR from being a survivor in the hobby's sense................. I home run in baseball is totally different than a home run in dating........................   :D

Hi Troy,

be happy, you can call your 68 Hemicharger now a survivor, too according to this guy.  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

And the good thing it is even totally restored when finished.
So you got two cars in one

Carsten

C_stripes

Check out my 73 340 duster survivor.   Nice huh?

Bet this is more original than his charger.   Dumb ass!
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

charge-it

Nice survivor 70 style bucket seats.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

41husk

Yep!  That makes my 73 cloned to be a super bee modified to a rumble bee, that I call a wanna bee, a SURVIVOR.  I think I will sell it at BJ for 6 figures!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dpm68

QuoteQuote
Q:  You claim the car to be a survivor, yet it's had a repaint, 2 replacement engines, different seats, new wheels.....hardly a survivor! Oct-02-07
A:   All thoughs things are true, but if you think a 38 year old 35,000 mile unrestored car with all the factory components execpt what you mentioned is not special then you need help, and a education. If you can find a better car then buy it.
Once again, if someone is going to stress the point of needing "a" education, they need to step back and check things out again...

Old Moparz

I agree, I wouldn't call it a survivor, just a nice, low mileage car. Regardless of whether it's a survivor or not, I can't believe all the energy spent on ripping the seller. It seems to me he's described more than what the average seller would in any ad. He's open to phone calls & for anyone inspecting the car before bidding. You don't see that with a halpag ad.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Go Hogs Go

Man, thanks for throwing me under the bus like that guy's. All I'm trying to do is represent the car as best I know how. I use big pictures, tell everything I absolutely know about the car, and I'll concede the term "survivor" may not have been the best adjective to use. Low miles is more appropriate when describing this car. I even updated my listing to appease all the folks that think I'm a bum. I'm not a close minded individual and I'll learn from this. Let me make this clear though, I'm not a crook, and I do not sell bondo bucket junk cars that can't be driven. I'm 29 years old and I got started in this hobbie when I bought a piece of crap 69 Charger General Lee that was suppose to be the stuff for $25,000. After that fiasco I started building my own, and I'd rather drive a bucket car of a cliff than pass it along to some else.  We've built the Hemi Charger in the picture, we built the Hemi Challenger in the description, but this car feels so different and drives so well I'm still in awe. I buy, sell, and trade cars to support my habit, because it is an expensive. Call me a bum, call me an idiot, call me anything you want, but you'll never call me a crook. I used to think a a lot of this forum, but I think considerably less of it know. Thank you to the individuals that diffended me. To everyone else, well, maybe we'll get the chance to meet at a Mopar show one day. I'm not a genius, but I have figured out how to own some kick a$$ cars, and make a little bread on side too. Cheers  :cheers:
Go Hogs!

charge69

To Go Hogs Go:  The problem with your description is calling it a "survivor" when, in my, and most posters' opinion, it is definitely NOT a survivor!  Nor will it ever be!  Too late for that now!  It is a very nice Charger but NOT a survivor. You obviously do not know the definition of a "survivor" in automotive terms.   If you really want to see a survivor, see my avatar. Enuff said.

Chris G.

Quote from: charge69 on October 04, 2007, 06:28:35 PM
If you really want to see a survivor, see my avatar. Enuff said.

Sweet! Let's see some pics of that badboy.  :yesnod:

charge69

Just got a new computer and all my pics are on the old one! Still haven't moved them yet.

See page one of the "Got a picture of your Charger" thread for a bigger picture of the avatar and, YES, it is a numbers matching, all original drivetrain, all original paint Hemi Charger. Wheels are borrowed and I still have all 5 of the original 15" x-hd steel wheels it came with. It is R6 Red w/ white top,interior, and stripe, 727 auto and 8 3/4 3.23 geared rearend.  Carbuerators still have the blue tags on them!

hemi-hampton

If you look in Dictionary for Survivor here's what you'll see. A picture of my car. With original paint, motor, ripped carpet & headliner, 24,000 miles, ect, ect. LEON.

Go Hogs Go

You have a pretty car, but if you read closely you'll see I've admitted that you are right.  Maybe we can run together on Power Tour next year? It starts in Little Rock! :callme:
Go Hogs!

charge69

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I'd like that except my motor even though #'s matching original has been rebuilt. And Built. It's very loud & very fast. I tossed the 850 holley double pumper dual feed because it interfered with my Coil, Distributor & dual snorkel air cleaner & replaced it with a 800 Edelbrock performer carb. Looks stock & original under hood but far from it. As a Result I run 110 octane @ $5.00+ a gallon & probably get 5 miles per gallon. As a result any Power Tour Cruise would become quite exspensive. I could take my 318 2 bbl 1972 Bengal Charger, that should be good on gas. Also, Sorry if my earlier comments seemed insulting. LEON. :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

Thats a nice unrestored Hemi Car you got there :2thumbs: LEON.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on October 04, 2007, 04:33:28 PM
Man, thanks for throwing me under the bus like that guy's. All I'm trying to do is represent the car as best I know how. I use big pictures, tell everything I absolutely know about the car, and I'll concede the term "survivor" may not have been the best adjective to use. Low miles is more appropriate when describing this car. I even updated my listing to appease all the folks that think I'm a bum. I'm not a close minded individual and I'll learn from this. Let me make this clear though, I'm not a crook, and I do not sell bondo bucket junk cars that can't be driven. I'm 29 years old and I got started in this hobbie when I bought a piece of crap 69 Charger General Lee that was suppose to be the stuff for $25,000. After that fiasco I started building my own, and I'd rather drive a bucket car of a cliff than pass it along to some else.  We've built the Hemi Charger in the picture, we built the Hemi Challenger in the description, but this car feels so different and drives so well I'm still in awe. I buy, sell, and trade cars to support my habit, because it is an expensive. Call me a bum, call me an idiot, call me anything you want, but you'll never call me a crook. I used to think a a lot of this forum, but I think considerably less of it know. Thank you to the individuals that diffended me. To everyone else, well, maybe we'll get the chance to meet at a Mopar show one day. I'm not a genius, but I have figured out how to own some kick a$$ cars, and make a little bread on side too. Cheers  :cheers:

You must have misinterpreted what the others were saying, they were saying "Wow, this guy is cool & has a cool car, I wish this guy was a member on our board."  :D

Welcome to the site.   :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TUFCAT

Nice to see survivor owners taking care of business :icon_smile_approve: 

Brock Samson

hey charge69. where are the pinstripes around your scallops from?..   :shruggy:

charge69

I don"t know when they were put on! I bought the Charger in 1976 and am the 3rd owner and they were on the car then and looked as old as the original paint. The fellow I bought it from was a friend of my brother's and had owned it since 1971. Probably a Dealer installed thing, but who knows. All I know is I am soooooo glad the car was relatively untouched when I got it except for normal wear items and tuneups!

Chris G.

Quote from: charge69 on October 04, 2007, 10:17:57 PM
I don"t know when they were put on! I bought the Charger in 1976 and am the 3rd owner and they were on the car then and looked as old as the original paint.

Very Cool.  :2thumbs: It didn't take long for these cars to get modified, so I'll bet the 1st owner went out and bought some pinstripes to make the car look a little more to his liking.  :shruggy:

TUFCAT

I think it adds character for being unrestored  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  I had (*roughly) 437 stone chips that I've lovingly touched up on my '67! :icon_smile_wink:

charge69

Hey TUFCAT, I really like your '67 Coronet!  Looks really nice for the original paint!

Congrats on a very nice Coronet!

TUFCAT

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I've seen Tuffcats car in Person, It's a nice original paint car, The way I like them. :2thumbs: LEON.

70charger_boy

Totally not a survivior, but it is one very, very nice charger.  Maybe, if you didn't try to lie to the mopar crowd (who are very anal) then maybe you can meet your reserve.  Maybe, when you relist the car you can be honest and get more money for it.

Good luck, dude

Brock Samson

any possibilty that your pin striped charger was the one used in the goodyear magazine "Wide Boots" ad?..

sorry wrong ad...

still wrong...

shades of chicks on chargers?..

hang on, i'll git it..

anyone up for a cylon?..

I'll find it, just  gimmie a CHANCE,,,  :RantExplode:

that is just so wrong..
2008 Charger (daytona version)  :shruggy:

o.k. i can't find the freakin ad... you know the double truck magazine ad with the red hemi charger with pinstripes and the hot girls in go go boots advertising the Wide Boots?  :shruggy:

ok  here so it's not a total loss, this is for Orlando, congrats on the new Poncho...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iegtoclub.com/images/66Ad3part.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.iegtoclub.com/gto_ads.htm&h=669&w=600&sz=213&hl=en&start=217&tbnid=jLtQ1by_Xb4-bM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dad%2B1968%26start%3D200%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Brock Samson aka Strat the link master!   :icon_smile_wink:

Brock Samson

70charger_boy

C500

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 05, 2007, 09:57:38 PM
any possibilty that your pin striped charger was the one used in the goodyear magazine "Wide Boots" ad?..

o.k. i can't find the freakin ad... you know the double truck magazine ad with the red hemi charger with pinstripes and the hot girls in go go boots advertising the Wide Boots?  :shruggy:

You mean this one? ...hang on, can't be...wrong year and no stripes

Chris G.

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 05, 2007, 12:48:53 PM
I think it adds character for being unrestored  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  I had (*roughly) 437 stone chips that I've lovingly touched up on my '67! :icon_smile_wink:

Very nice car :yesnod:. How about the engine and interior, are they also untouched?

The70RT

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 05, 2007, 09:10:36 PM

Totally not a survivior, but it is one very, very nice charger.  Maybe, if you didn't try to lie to the mopar crowd (who are very anal) then maybe you can meet your reserve.  Maybe, when you relist the car you can be honest and get more money for it.

Good luck, dude

Maybe but I doubt it. If anyone knows Chargers they can see the obvious and then bid what they think it's worth. It is eBay though and it could sell for 50% more the first time.....or 50% less....depending on who is in the market or got a lump of money at the right time :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

nope that's NOT the ad, the one i remember looks to be on the salt flats in utah and has a '69 Hemi or two red and white with the obvious pin stripes... i've seen this ad many times but couldn't find it though i spent nearly an hour looking for it.. did find a bunch or really cool other stuff though,.. I love Google!

bill440rt

I think we all can agree that the Charger in that eBay ad, although very nice & presentable, is not a Survivor.

Just to shed some light on this, the following is the criteria set forth for Mopar Survivors by Mel Major, the founder of the organization:

"CRITERIA:     UNRESTORED/UNRESTIFIED MOPARS at least 25 years old. 80% each, of the paint, interior, and drive train must be as "factory installed or applied". It does not mean repainted to the correct color or rebuilt to the original specifications."

Furthermore: "...Maintenance and normal repairs are acceptable as well as minimal accident repair. Component replacement; such as belts, hoses, exhaust, tires, etc. is expected.

To maintain a high quality display, we recommend replacing components with similar items such as correct tire type and size, correct battery, stock appearing exhaust, correct hose clamps, Mopar belts, etc."

Hope this clears the air for sure.
Brock, no offense but I have no idea what your response has to do with this topic.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Fan

This lady was responsible for a LOT of accidentally erected tents in my younger years. :drool5:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi-hampton

I'm not sure what that last comment had to do with the Survivor Topic? :shruggy:

chargerboy69

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 06, 2007, 01:14:05 PM
This lady was responsible for a LOT of accidentally erected tents in my younger years. :drool5:

Here is my favorite picture of her.

Sorry for the off the subject pictures, but it was Strats fault.  :icon_smile_big:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

70charger_boy

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 06, 2007, 02:03:37 PM
I'm not sure what that last comment had to do with the Survivor Topic? :shruggy:

It is simple.  Linda Carter looks as hot now as she did 30 years ago and she has probably been untouched as well, which makes her a survivor :nana:

Charger_Fan

I see no problem with derailing a thread with great Linda Carter pics. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

charge69

Ahhhhhh! Linda Carter!!!    Very hot !    Now, for the question about the '69 Charger in the Goodyear ad with the pinstripes and my car. I have a copy of the ad and it certainly looks like my car.  In the ad, the Charger is wearing Magnum 500's like mine has on it now, but they never came on original Hemicars! Chrysler did not offer the Magnums in 15" and all Hemicars came with 15" wheels standard.  Couldn't even order the Magnums on the Hemicars!

That said, my pinstripes look as if they were put on when the car was brand new and are a carbon-copy of the ones used in the Goodyear ads.  Who knows, could be the car or someone saw the ad and liked the look and added them.  It is curious that the car was identical to mine in the ad and is a fairly rare combo,  R6 red exterior, white interior, vinyl top, and R/T stripe! Hemi-727 auto . Incidently it has the AM-8 Track radio option too with power steering and manual brakes!  That is about it,...... fairly stripped from the factory!

hemi-hampton

If your car is the same car as in the Ad I might be able to tell you. Just post a Pic of the Fender tag or Broadcast sheet or window sticker, If none of these Available maybe just the VIN will help me? Let me know? LEON.

70charger_boy

I just  :scope: a '67 goat  :drool5:-thanks link master brock

charge69

OK, most of the vin is:  XS29J9B3213xx..............And the vin plate and fender tag is on the car.

hemi-hampton

If I had to guess from your Partial Vin # I'd so NO, Just my hunch. LEON. :scratchchin:

Brock Samson

youz got the high late build bumper guards too, are they in the advert... and i think it would be awesome if that's the same HEMICharger!

that's why I brought it up?.. 

is this all clear?...

as mud?..

HA!  :smilielol:

wide boots...

google search, (no filter)

LETTUCE BRING BACK C.O.C.!!!  :RantExplode:

charge69

NICE BOOTS!!!!.....................I doubt my car is the one in the ad.  My build date is 3/14/69 which make it a Friday built car!  Has held up pretty good for a "Friday" car!