News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone have 16 inch Magnums on their Charger

Started by 71 Bee Man, October 02, 2007, 02:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

Hi guys,

pondering over wheel sizes. I'd really like to know if anyone has 16 inch Magnums on their cars and how they look. I'm thinking 15's but people have been telling me to go the extra inch.

If anyone has a side on picture that'd be great too.

Thanks,
:2thumbs:
Peter,
Sydney, Australia
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

almerkel

71 Bee Man

Quote from: almerkel on October 02, 2007, 01:24:46 PM
I have them on my car.  They look ok 16X8. 

I don't suppose you've got a side on picture to see ?

Peter :shruggy:
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

Mike DC

IMHO the old-style 16" rims are the most underused wheel size out there these days.     

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 02, 2007, 07:06:59 PM

IMHO the old-style 16" rims are the most underused wheel size out there these days.     

Do you mean that from the point of view that they look good ?
I am just about ready to buy 15 X 8 and 15 X 7 Magnum 500's in chrome. I can't help but think that 16's might just fill the void a fraction better, but I don't want to overdo it. I hate seeing old cars with absolutely huge wheels on them, but the 16's may be a good compromise. I'd just like to see what they look like on a car.

Peter :popcrn:

mikesbbody

peter, i dont know what size tires you have, but if you have a 60 tire (i.e front 235/60/15 or 275/60/15 on the back) you shouldnt have that "void" you talked about. If it were me, id stay with the 15's if i were to go bigger, it would be 17's (any bigger than 18 looks kinda off IMO) even then with the 17's id run a taller tire none of that low profile b.s

Mike DC

Yeah, I just meant as an appearance thing. 

16x8 is gonna look sorta like 15x7 stockers, but just a subtle increase and not all the way to import-land. 

71 Bee Man

Quote from: mikesbbody on October 02, 2007, 09:04:34 PM
peter, i dont know what size tires you have, but if you have a 60 tire (i.e front 235/60/15 or 275/60/15 on the back) you shouldnt have that "void" you talked about. If it were me, id stay with the 15's if i were to go bigger, it would be 17's (any bigger than 18 looks kinda off IMO) even then with the 17's id run a taller tire none of that low profile b.s

I'll have to get new tires anyway, because I'm running 14's at the moment.

I have 245/60/14 on the rear. but if I get 15 X 8 I'll be going 275/60/15. It's just that because it's so much money i want to get it right first time, and unlike you guys i can't get to a local show to see what others are running.

Peter

4forty

I like the 15" on muscle cars but it's your ride

RDR-838

4forty, what size are your tires? They look good.

68RT4ME

Hey there Peter, If you remember, I'm running the 15x7's in front with 255-60's BFG's with no rubbing issues and 15x8's in back with 275-60 BFG's, again, with no rubbing issues and they seem to fill things out pretty good. I too am not too fond of these larger size wheels but, they do look good on some of the cars. Hope this helps

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

71 Bee Man

Quote from: 68RT4ME on October 03, 2007, 10:05:57 AM
Hey there Peter, If you remember, I'm running the 15x7's in front with 255-60's BFG's with no rubbing issues and 15x8's in back with 275-60 BFG's, again, with no rubbing issues and they seem to fill things out pretty good. I too am not too fond of these larger size wheels but, they do look good on some of the cars. Hope this helps

G'day Andy,

I had a look at your wheels and they made me think I was doing the right thing with getting the 15's. I just know that the right size wheel can really make a car and before i throwe all the money at the wheel guy, I want to make sure I get it right.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going the 15's (chrome magnums), but would like to see something with 16's on it.

By the way, I managed to get that burnout in MPEG format. I'll get it to you shortly. It's about 12 Mb........would it hurt to email it over ?

Peter  :2thumbs:

dkn1997

Not magnums, but I run 16" wheels on my 68.  I love the look, but tire availability? not so much

1st pic is mine with 16", 2nd is mr angry at almost the exact opposie angle with, I think 17's?  maybe 18's, not sure.
I run 245/50's on the front and 295 50's rear
RECHRGED

mikesbbody

peter, i think if you go say @ 235/60/15 and 275/60/15 rear, you will be happy with that  :2thumbs: that's the size i have on my charger and i think it looks pretty good.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: mikesbbody on October 03, 2007, 10:06:26 PM
peter, i think if you go say @ 235/60/15 and 275/60/15 rear, you will be happy with that  :2thumbs: that's the size i have on my charger and i think it looks pretty good.

I reckon that's exactly what I'll get, but you know what it's like when everyones in your ear telling you something else. :Twocents:

Peter

mikesbbody

peter, the guy's here will give you their opinions we all just want to help and all have different idea's re: what looks good but at the end of the day, its your car and you will decide and whaever you go for im sure it will look awesome  :2thumbs:

71 Bee Man

Quote from: mikesbbody on October 04, 2007, 04:09:21 AM
peter, the guy's here will give you their opinions we all just want to help and all have different idea's re: what looks good but at the end of the day, its your car and you will decide and whaever you go for im sure it will look awesome  :2thumbs:

I actually want all the opinions from here. Like I said I'm pretty settled with the 15's, but I talk to guys I live near and I think because they see a large American car they instantly think you need enormous wheels.

Peter

bull

I think 16" look good, still enough meat on the tires IMO. I'm not to excited about 17" and up though.

68RT4ME

G'day Andy,

I had a look at your wheels and they made me think I was doing the right thing with getting the 15's. I just know that the right size wheel can really make a car and before i throwe all the money at the wheel guy, I want to make sure I get it right.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going the 15's (chrome magnums), but would like to see something with 16's on it.

By the way, I managed to get that burnout in MPEG format. I'll get it to you shortly. It's about 12 Mb........would it hurt to email it over ?

Peter  :2thumbs:

Hiya Peter,

I'm sure your car is going to look great. It already does in my book. I'm sure you'll love the new wheels. I've though about a set of them myself. As for the video, you can try to email it. Not sure if it will come through unless it's zipped up tight and even then, may be too big. If need be, I can wait for the disk...  :popcrn:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on October 04, 2007, 04:24:16 AM
but I talk to guys I live near and I think because they see a large American car they instantly think you need enormous wheels.

Nah, you just need FAT wheels. :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger_Fan

One thing's for sure, 20's on the rear looks like smashed dog dung! :eek2:

Especially skinny 20's. :down:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

greatwn73

Just keep in mind its harder and harder to find a premium brand 15" tire

mikesbbody

pete's basically made his mind up by the sound of things it comes down to do you want: 1. more wheel less tire? or 2. less wheel and more tire? i personally prefer the 2nd option. as for that 70 with the big wheels i wasnt that turned of by the wheels (i wouldnt do it myself) but didnt like the low profile tires. And yes, definitly too skinney IMO (no disrespect intended to the owner btw)  :2thumbs:

Sinister68

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 03, 2007, 04:38:36 PM
Not magnums, but I run 16" wheels on my 68.  I love the look, but tire availability? not so much

Ditto! (205/55R16 front, 255/50R16 rear)
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

mopar-or-no-car

Quote from: mikesbbody on October 04, 2007, 11:06:21 PM
pete's basically made his mind up by the sound of things it comes down to do you want: 1. more wheel less tire? or 2. less wheel and more tire? i personally prefer the 2nd option. as for that 70 with the big wheels i wasnt that turned of by the wheels (i wouldnt do it myself) but didnt like the low profile tires. And yes, definitly too skinney IMO (no disrespect intended to the owner btw)  :2thumbs:
I tend to agree! I don't know whether I read it on here or another board I read this but someone wrote that a muscle car shouldn't have rims with rubber bands for tires on them! and I totally agree with THAT! a muscle car with more rim than tire looks like you are trying to compete with the ricers!! and a muscle car is NOT rice IMHO!! I agree with mikesbbody that there should be MORE TIRE and less rim!!   :2thumbs:
Real WOMEN drive MOPARS!!!!!