News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how much power is too much power?

Started by miller, October 03, 2007, 09:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

it seems to me that the power of a 440 can be endless (with the right amount of cash) but were is the line, when will everything else start breaking? how much horsepower can a stock 727 take before it begs for mercy, what can a 8 /34 withstand, how much can the actual car take before you cant shut the doors because its twisted so bad?

and the final question, when does it become unbearable, when it gets to the point to were you can touch the accelerator because you will just spin the tires... where is the line drawn?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

RD

miller great questions, i will attempt to answer, but there really is no definitive answer.

727's:
1) it all depends on who is shifting the gears, how they shift the gears, when they shift the gears, and if they like 1st gear burnouts
2) generally a stock 727 (if for an HP motor) can handle up to 500 hp, as long as the individual who drives the vehicle... well... refer to number one

8 3/4's:
1) it all depends on the idiot behind the wheel :D hehe
2) most common failure on a 8 3/4 is carrier cap failure (i.e. breakage), at least that is what I have seen.  I have not seen pinion breakage as much, but... I am around the drag racing circuit more or less and well, the guys USUALLY build their stuff up to handle what they have, so my opinion is only to be applied to what I have experienced

LASTLY..
there is never enough if you are willing to spend more money on gas, tires, and your adrenaline habit :D

I am sure others will chime in
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

PA Dodger

I asked the same question about a month ago. I got a lot of good answers. It appears that as long as the tires don't hook up, you don't need to be overly concerned about breaking stuff.
  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32734.msg356706.html#msg356706
Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

firefighter3931

Generally speaking ; the 727 & 8 3/4 are safe behind any 440 that is tame enough to drive on the street. When you do a stroker the extra torque will lay a beating on the rest of the drivetrain. It's the torque/bodyweight (Chargers are heavy) that break parts.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs