News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trade maybe?

Started by 71bigblock, January 03, 2009, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71bigblock

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if it is.

Anyway, I pop in here from time to time.  I figured I'd ask over here instead of cc.com, I'd catch heck from what I'm going to ask, hehe.   ;)

I have a '71 Challenger, #'s match everywhere, 383/727, 2 broadcast sheet, Hemi Orange white interior/white top car.  I bought it in October of '06.  I'll start out also saying that I'm not one of those guys that get attatched to a car and keep it forever, its just a piece of iron, many more things are important in this life.  (To me anyway)  I've always loved the second gen Chargers.  In fact, I believe my first post on this forum 2 and some odd years ago stated that, too.  I'll get to the point now, what kind of second gen Charger could I get for a trade?  I could trade up or down depending on whatever it is.  Maybe not trade up very much, lol.  My car is basically original, and has some rust, too.  It would need a trunk floor, extensions, and quarter patches.  But the rest of the car is very solid.  There is factory undercoating, and when I pulled the carpet up, almost all of the original paint is still on there.  No rust on the roof or anything or by any windows.  As far as options, it doesnt have too many.  Front sway bar, side moulding, A/C, and a few more, but nothing very spectacular. 

If I were to trade, '68 would be my preference.  But '70 is not far behind.  Big block of course, R/T would be a huge bonus, in fact, I would prefer it.  If not an R/T, then a 4 speed would be cool, too.  Numbers matching would be nice, but not necessary.  So my question is, what kind of car would this get me?  Am I being too optimistic?  Thanks guys, and here's a couple of pics to get you an idea. 
1971 Dodge Challenger 383/727 #'s matching                 (oo׀===׀׀===׀oo)
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5 spd manual                         (o)≡≡≡≡≡≡(o)
2007 Dodge Magnum SXT                                              Oo (-+-) oO

gers1968rt

well, considering that you are asking on a charger forum, you might not get alot of interest. that being said that is a very nice chally you've got there. 71's are my favorite, I would be interested, however, unlike you I'm attached to my 68 that I've had for 20 years.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

1969chargerrtse

" '68 would be my preference.  But '70 is not far behind "  :slap: What the heck kind of statement is that?   :down:  It's well know throughout the universe ( though there is some denial here ) that 69 chargers are everybody's favorite, and then you say you want to trade for a 68 or 70?    Don't talk to me no more .   :nono:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BB1

Really, I've had 2 69s an I would rather have a 68 or 70 too. Good on ya Mate.  :2thumbs:
Delete my profile

Sublime/Sixpack

Hmm  :scratchchin: I always thought everyone preferred the '68 and '70 models. :icon_smile_big:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Troy

I haven't been keeping up with Challenger values so I'm mostly guessing here. As for 68, you can probably rule out a #s matching R/T 4-speed in nearly any condition. You can probably get an automatic R/T - maybe even numbers matching - in "driver" condition. You should definitely be able to get a 383 car that's halfway nice. I am a fan of Challengers and I have a 70. I'd be willing to trade one of my 68s... if yours wasn't a 71. That's my least favorite of them all (never liked the grill). Some others prefer them so you never know.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71bigblock

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 12:38:06 PM
" '68 would be my preference.  But '70 is not far behind "  :slap: What the heck kind of statement is that?   :down:  It's well know throughout the universe ( though there is some denial here ) that 69 chargers are everybody's favorite, and then you say you want to trade for a 68 or 70?  :RantExplode:  Don't talk to me no more .   :nono:

Haha, yeah, I guess I should have added that I wouldnt kick a '69 out of the garage, lol.  There is a '69 R/T that drives around here very seldom in red primer, I'd definitely trade for that. 

Quote from: Troy on January 03, 2009, 01:13:55 PM
I haven't been keeping up with Challenger values so I'm mostly guessing here. As for 68, you can probably rule out a #s matching R/T 4-speed in nearly any condition. You can probably get an automatic R/T - maybe even numbers matching - in "driver" condition. You should definitely be able to get a 383 car that's halfway nice. I am a fan of Challengers and I have a 70. I'd be willing to trade one of my 68s... if yours wasn't a 71. That's my least favorite of them all (never liked the grill). Some others prefer them so you never know.

Troy

Yeah, like I said, if its an R/T, auto is fine with me.  I'm not real hip on clones, I know for some that's their thing, but I dont like driving something that says R/T on the side if that aint what it is, even if its just one digit in the vin.  Thanks for the info, thats exactly the stuff I was wondering about.  And for sure I'm looking for no show car, I actually like the "drivers" better, dont have to worry about driving it so much.  Even if it needs a repaint, no big deal to me, a solid car is much more important. 

And I dont know if I really am going to go out and look for a trade.  If a guy pulled up next to me at a stoplight and asked if I would trade, sure, but I guess I'm not really pursuing it right now?  Hard to explain, lol. 

Thanks guys. 

tan top

nice stock looking challenger  , don't see many with a flat hood :yesnod:  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BB1 on January 03, 2009, 01:03:32 PM
Really, I've had 2 69s an I would rather have a 68 or 70 too. Good on ya Mate.  :2thumbs:
Why?  This I gotta hear.   :violin:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Chris G.

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 05:27:18 PM

Is it really upsetting you that much that people like the '68 and '70 Charger, rather than the '69? Geez, these people are giving their opinions and you are acting like it's unacceptable. Please tell me it's not really bothering you that much...please say it.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chris G. on January 03, 2009, 05:50:29 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 05:27:18 PM

Is it really upsetting you that much that people like the '68 and '70 Charger, rather than the '69? Geez, these people are giving their opinions and you are acting like it's unacceptable. Please tell me it's not really bothering you that much...please say it.
Hold on I'm still laughing  :smilielol:.  O.K I'm ready.  Oh stop it please.  I could care less.  I love all year chargers ( except the little ones ).  Just having fun.  :icon_smile_big:  I love all 68, 69 and 70's pretty much equally. Happy new Year. :laugh:  :cheers: :2thumbs:

quapman

You sure you don't want to stay with the same year and trade for a nice 71 Charger S.E. with a 440? :shruggy:

500hp_440

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 12:38:06 PM
" '68 would be my preference.  But '70 is not far behind "  :slap: What the heck kind of statement is that?   :down:  It's well know throughout the universe ( though there is some denial here ) that 69 chargers are everybody's favorite, and then you say you want to trade for a 68 or 70?  :RantExplode:  Don't talk to me no more .   :nono:
^ i agree
dukes of hazzard if it can jump the gorge i dont want it in my garage
Let it alone^.

BB1

Probably a GL thing Chris.  :D

It's like being the middle child, they're not the first, or the last, so they achieve a nothing status.
:hah:

I'd give my right nut to have my 69 back, probably make a Daytona out of it.
Delete my profile

71bigblock

Quote from: quapman on January 03, 2009, 07:07:38 PM
You sure you don't want to stay with the same year and trade for a nice 71 Charger S.E. with a 440? :shruggy:

Thanks, but I'm not too big on the third gens.  That's a whole lotta quarterpanel goin' on, and I dont think I could handle it.   :lol:  Its too bad I dont care for them as much, I could get quite a car for a trade.  Yours looks like its in great shape, too. 

It actually wouldnt have to be a Charger, either.  There would be a couple of other trades that I wouldnt mind.  '70 - '72 Runner would be nice, ('70 first) '69-70 Coronet...

I dunno, I guess my car is fun, but change isnt all bad.  I just love how gigantic the b bodies are, but I really like the styling on my Challenger...

So confusing.  I'm just glad Mopar made plenty of gooooood looking cars.   :laugh:

hemi68charger

You may wish to place a thread on the moparts.com board in the classified "trade" section or the Cuda-Challenger forum. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/

There may be something out there.. Take from me; nothing ventured, nothing gained......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

71bigblock

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 04, 2009, 08:10:18 AM
You may wish to place a thread on the moparts.com board in the classified "trade" section or the Cuda-Challenger forum. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/

There may be something out there.. Take from me; nothing ventured, nothing gained......

Troy

Yeah, I've got a couple posts over on cc.com, lol.  Been there just as long as here, if not a little less, but have close to 5000 posts, I hang out there the most.  Thanks.   ;D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BB1 on January 03, 2009, 10:55:55 PM

It's like being the middle child, they're not the first, or the last, so they achieve a nothing status.

That's funny, good point. :)

Hey, wait a minute, put your Challenger on my dwindling dying car trade site.  Address is in signature and it cost nothing.  There's a nice 68 RR on there now for trade.

71bigblock

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 04, 2009, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: BB1 on January 03, 2009, 10:55:55 PM

That's funny, good point. :)

Hey, wait a minute, put your Challenger on my dwindling dying car trade site.  Address is in signature and it cost nothing.  There's a nice 68 RR on there now for trade.

I actually did check it out the other day.  I'll get around to putting it on there, thanks.   :cheers:

71bigblock

Well over on cc.com I found an old post.  It said that a guy had a friend that didnt go on the computer, but lost intrest in his project.  Here are his words:

He lost interest after pulling out the trunk floor. Fairly solid, needing lower quarter patch panels.  Original blue exterior.  Friend doesn't have a computer or cell phone camera.  The color you see is PRIMER.  Here's what I know. Blue interior but was converted to black
Non numbers 440, but he didn't get under there to look. A/C, Auto, He said somebody cut the cluster for different guages, so it may need a cluster. He said it also needs patches for the lower front fenders.

There are the pics he sent me.  Looks like basically the same stuff my car will need, trunk, quarter patches, but his needs more besides.  That one side will probably need a whole quarter, as you can see.  Also around the window, and on the front fender.  What do you guys think?  If it did turn out to be the numbers motor and tranny, I would be much more interested.  But with a trade, I dont know if I could get less of a project.  I mean, it is a 440 R/T, they dont grow on trees anymore.  I think I may look for something more solid.   :scratchchin:

teamroth

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like there may be some concern under the paint on the rails. Maybe it's insignificant, but I'd be concerned I think.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

71bigblock

Yeah, I think I have already kinda passed on that one, and I havent talked to the owner yet. 

And for the sake of not making a new thread, I found this one on cars on line.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/39418.html

Does anyone know this car?  I emailed him about a trade, but then I read he doesnt want a trade.  Oops.   :brickwall:

This seems like a nice driver thats worth about the same as mine I would think.  Other than that one hole in the bottom, the rest looks pretty good.  I think I may call and get fender tag info. 

Anybody have any opinions on this one?  Thanks.   :icon_smile_wink:

71bigblock

Cant have an opinion when the ad is gone!   :scratchchin:

Someone must have snatched it up, it was a good deal.  #'s matching '68 R/T for $16k.   :'(