News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by 68chrgrwife, October 01, 2007, 01:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think I am stupid to do this?

hell yeah, don't do it
18 (56.3%)
a little
6 (18.8%)
not really
3 (9.4%)
Hell NO, get bumblebee going.
5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

68chrgrwife

Ok so here is the deal.....Hubby found a 71 Charger for me for $500.  I really want a third gen. car, but we could use that $500 to finally put bumblebee on the road (in fact that is gonna be our registration/title amount).  I told hubby to let my car go and use the $500 to get on the road...he thinks I am being stupid...Yeah I know that we will probably never find such a great deal, but I think it would suck to have a car that can be driven in theory, but can't because it is not licenced and insured.  Help me out....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Old Moparz

Not stupid really, but I'd rather snag the $500 car & put off the other one's registration for a bit.

Of course this opinion is from someone who has 6 old Mopars, 4 of which are registered, & only one that's able to move under it's own power.   :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

I have two Chargers and I will tell you a 71 for $500, get it and save your registration money.  In 3-6 months you will be able to get the Bee on the road, but I bet the $500 Charger is long gone and those kinda deals just don't come around every day.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Magnumcharger

Get the '71....you can always register the other later.
You won't always have a chance for another '71 at that price... :Twocents:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Nacho-RT74

is that hard to get $500 later ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

2Gunz

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Troy

In my humble opinion... I'd go for a car on the road any day. Unless the 71 is the deal of the century of course! I have way too many cars sitting in the garage waiting for later but the one I appreciate the most is the one I can drive. The rest aren't providing me any value and very little enjoyment.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

supserdave

Keep the car and donate plasma or something?

mopar-or-no-car

What shape is the 71 in? if it is in great shape I would go for the 71 and save for the reg fees later but on the other hand if the 71 is a rust bucket I would let it go!! Cars for that price in good shape don't come along every day!  I have 2 cars not running in my yard WAITING for the day I can get them running so I am use to the waiting game!!!    ;)
Real WOMEN drive MOPARS!!!!!

Argos_Chargers

You HAVE to be crazy to be involved with all of us!!!!! :P :yesnod:

Now that you have taken the first step and ADMITTED you are a Charger addict you have no choice but to buy the '71.

Even though the bee is ready to rumble, it can wait a few months.  Remember good things come to those who wait...however '71 Chargers for $500.00 DON'T exist, and this one won't if you hesitate to blink your eyes!!!

:Twocents:
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

BMOTOXSTAR

BTW, post some pic's of this Charger. :slap: :popcrn: :popcrn:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

twenty mike mike

Isn't hubby in the military? How hard will it be to deal with the cars if he gets transferred to the other side of the country?

If that's not a big issue, and the car is what you want, get the car. The money for the registration will show up later, but the car might go away forever.

If having more cars will be a big issue at PCS time, well...

68charger383

Better to get the car then to talk about the $500 deal you missed for years to come. The other car will just be $500 away from being on the road for another month or two  :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Charger_Fan

You're crazy. Go get the '71 & get the '68 going in a month or two. :thumbs:

Of course this opinion is from someone who has 2 Charger projects, neither of which are road worthy or registered & 3 other project vehicles & a motorcycle just waiting their turn.  :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dkn1997

Yes, your'e crazy...

couldn't resist
RECHRGED

tomdroptop

69charger2002

another vote for get car, worry about funds later.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Harlow

Did you ever post any pictures of the '71? I'd like to see it.

C_stripes

I would get the car.  If nothing els. You can sell it and make some money.   I think defenently buy the car.  You can't go wrong.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Lowprofile

So many of us have let cars get away from us for one reason or another only to regret it later on. So my advice is to get the car.  :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Mean 318

IMHO set yours on the road! I would rather have something I could drive then another project at this point which is why my wagon is still in the junk yard. No fun just to look at! :Twocents:

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 01, 2007, 05:26:12 PM

Of course this opinion is from someone who has 2 Charger projects, neither of which are road worthy or registered & 3 other project vehicles & a motorcycle just waiting their turn.  :icon_smile_tongue:

Hey CF, what are you, stupid?   :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Big Lebowski

Crazy? As in "One who flew over the cookoo's nest" crazy...Or more of a temporary insanity kinda crazy? BTW a '71 Charger for $500 sounds like a good deal to me...Unless it's a rusted pile o' crap that's been in a midwest twister. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Lowprofile on October 01, 2007, 09:06:31 PM
So many of us have let cars get away from us for one reason or another only to regret it later on. So my advice is to get the car.  :2thumbs:
:iagree:

hemi-hampton

Buy the car, Put that other one away for Winter storage anyways. LEON.

tommymac

Get the car, 500.00 is cheap you have all year to drive cars down there,NO snow comming!

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 01, 2007, 09:15:32 PM

:shruggy:   :shruggy:   :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

70charger_boy

You're not crazy, but I am, and let me tell you girlfriend, you would be crazy to pass up the $500 dollar charger.  Take advantage of the card in your hand. It's a soft market, but not for long

hemi-hampton

Yeah, Isn't she from San Diego, Nice weather all year long, Buy that other one anyways, If rustfree $500 a steal, I could use that car for a Donor for my Detroit Rust Bucket 72 Charger. LEON.

68chrgrwife

ok so here is a pic....It is gonna need work...not sure how much....

definatly needs a full interior..guy says motor doesn't run (numbers matching 318), body work?, paint, I know that I can get hubby's car on the road srive it around and save up for something that won't need as much work...is driveable right away, etc.  I don't mind holding off and saving up for a better car.

MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

68chrgrwife

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 01, 2007, 10:18:57 PM
Yeah, Isn't she from San Diego, Nice weather all year long, Buy that other one anyways, If rustfree $500 a steal, I could use that car for a Donor for my Detroit Rust Bucket 72 Charger. LEON.

And yes I do live in San Diego, and hubby wants to bring the car to fall fling in Nov., but he won't be able to if we don't register it......I am not trailering it!  Plus we need a second daily driver.....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

TUFCAT

If you can get the Charger do it... if things get rough, you could probably sell it for at least 4 times what you paid. 

Ghoste

In the long run, you're going to want that 3rd gen.  Buy it.

41husk

looks like a project, but you can part it out and make good money,  I bought a 74 SE for $400.  It was in worse shape than yours in some areas.  I used the two doors, deck lid, right fender, blower moter and some other little odds and ends for the Wanna bee project.  Then I took what was left apart and sold parts and made about $400 on what was left and I still have parts left.  I don't see how you can go wrong.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ponch ®

Eeek...looks pretty rough. I don't know if I would take on that project. Looks like it needs a lot of work = (time and $).

If anything, I'd get it just to flip it or part it out, but not to try to restore it.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

tan top

buy it :yesnod:  as i doubt you could ever find another 3 gen for that much , unless it has big time rust :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mopar-or-no-car

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 01, 2007, 09:37:01 PM
Buy the car, Put that other one away for Winter storage anyways. LEON.

As Hemi-Hampton noted No winter storage out here!! in Cali we get to drive our cars ALL YEAR LONG! but I still agree if it is rust free get the $500.00 car or down the road you will sure wish you had!! trust me I sold a couple of mine and now I wish I hadn't!! so Me too I vote for GET THE  CAR!!!   :cheers:
Real WOMEN drive MOPARS!!!!!

BrianShaughnessy

That looks more like a parts car to me.    I'd be getting your other car on the road.   I'm into driving... not collecting yard ornaments.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hemi-hampton

Looks rougher then expecting but I'd still say a good deal if no rust holes, minor surface rust no big deal. Get it running & then a Quicky Maaco paint job. I'd buy it for $1,000 if solid but Shipping would cost more then that unfortunately :'( LEON.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 01, 2007, 09:15:32 PM

Maybe...why, do I need an umbrella? :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)