News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body shop owner just about gave me a heart attack

Started by bull, October 01, 2007, 02:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I live less than a mile from what looks like a podunk body shop. For years I've driven by this place assuming it was just a hack shop based on the look of the place outside. Never once have I seen anything exciting there such as a classic Mopar but here about six months ago I started seeing a bunch of those goofy low riders parked outside -- the ones with the gnarly paint jobs and the hydraulic suspensions and the dinky tires jammed onto rims that are too wide for them, etc.

Long story short, you can't judge a book by its cover. I went in there a couple days ago and saw three or four classic cars inside. No Mopars that I could see but the guy was laying down some real professional-looking paint jobs on what was there. Turns out he took over about the time the low riders showed up so I asked him to come down the hill and take a look at my '68. A few hours later he shows up to have a look and tells me he'd charge $10,000 to paint my car!! How cow! That's $3,500 more than my highest quote. I don't know how this guy thinks he's worth that much when all the other 5-6 quotes I've gotten were between $4,500-$6,500, especially since the $6,500 quote comes from a guy who painted a $1 million+ Cuda that sold at BJ. Oh well, I guess he won't be working for me. Too bad since he's so close.

Rant over.

dads_69

Is that 10 G's for body and paint? I've painted cars that are worth at the time I worked on them, worth 250 grand plus. I painted a Caddy that was in a movie with Sylvester Staloan. That car sold at an action for over 600 grand. It really doesn't matter the value of the car, as long as the body and paint are worth doing to the car and being able to retrieve some of that money back if/when sold. I'm doing a body/paint job on a '69 Firebird right now, and I haven't replaced any body panels, just repair dents and lots of prep work before paint. That estimate you got from the guy down the road isn't that far off.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

bull

No, his estimate is $10k to seam seal it, prime it, block sand and paint it. I've already put $15k into the body work alone.

41husk

WoW! 10K if you had to replace pannels etc. but just to seal sand prime and paint :o
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

Quote from: 41husk on October 01, 2007, 07:05:01 AM
WoW! 10K if you had to replace pannels etc. but just to seal sand prime and paint :o

I'm wondering if he's just too busy and doesn't want the business right now. It's funny because he was very complimentary of the guy who gave me the $6,500 estimate and then he came in at $3,500 more. :shruggy: Oh well, it doesn't hurt to ask.

firefighter3931

Curtis, he doesn't want the job. His price seems way out of line, inmo.  :P

Did the bodywork guy give you a price on paintwork ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 01, 2007, 09:13:14 AM
Curtis, he doesn't want the job. His price seems way out of line, inmo.  :P

Did the bodywork guy give you a price on paintwork ?

Ron

Yea, the body guy is the one that came in at $6,500 IIRC. It might have been something like $6,200 but I know it was a little over $6k.

The70RT

It seem's like lots of places charge too much. I guess when it takes them 6 months just to sand and paint a car they gotta charge a rediculous price to stay in buissiness. I would think 5K would be plenty for any place to charge if all the body work was done and all that was left was to block it out and paint it? I will be trying to paint a couple cars that I am not too worried about after the Charger is done though. I am just not gonna spend 5-7K on paint for a Falcon or my camper. If they turn out ok maybe I will do my convertible then too.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GeneralLeeTESH

The TESH

bull

6pkrunner

Seems that instant communications and the internet has put an end to almost all the old smoke and mirror industries. Machine shops, service shops, etc can be made or broken pretty quickly.

The one fluffy area left is body/paint. Go to 3 guys and get 30 different quotes. Hell, one person will not be consistant from day to day. Soon as the "personal judgement" eye takes over - look out. Sure there is the old hidden damage thing, but when you roll in a nice shell to be finished prepped and shot - there is still too much gray area. And that's not gray paint being sprayed.

Good luck and bite a bullet.

TUFCAT

The cost of materials keep getting higher and higher.

Todd Wilson

Many things to look at. He is either busy and dont want to do it so he priced it sky high to run you off and if you go ahead and show up for the work then its good $ for him. 
His paint jobs may be different then other shops paint jobs. Creating the higher price. Some paint people are leary about painting a car without doing the body and prep work on it also. Thats the major part about having a good paint job. He may prime and then block it only to find poor body work from who ever worked on it before. Then it becomes his problem because you wont like the paint if he goes ahead and paints it. Maybe he sees a bunch of crap body work on your car and knows what is about to happen if he starts it?!

With all the low riders parked outside maybe his price includes a set of hydraulics for the Charger!HAHA!

Todd

70charger_boy

You get what you pay for.  I don't really like alot of the lowrider paintjobs, but I can tell you that they are not cheap.  I know a guy who painted a '63 Impala with alot of candy and metalics.  He charged 25 grand.

Back N Black

I agree with you Todd on most Body shops not wanting to paint over someone else's bodywork. I bought a fender for my car that was allready prepped and blocked ready to install. I showed up at the bodyshop happier than a pig in shi!! that i found such a great fender.They said "we will not put our reputation on some other guys bodywork". We would like to sand it down and start over and they did, and we threw the fender in the garbage.It was absolute junk with poor workmanship.

dads_69

For what your needing done, my rates start at $5500.00 and up. It all depends on what color customer wants, type of material,color sanding after words. Car show paint or daily driver paint job also.
Package #1. Prime block ready for paint.
Cut in door jambs-trunk under hood only,not engine bay.
Seal-base-clear-color sand-done.
Thats my starting rate of $5500.00
Package #2. Well, lets just say that a lot of blocking and possible re-prime and if its going to be black, the price just went up $1500.00
Mark

68chrgrwife

Where I used to work, the guy would charge $10,000 for a General or Starsky N Hutch car because there are no decals....all hand painted!  Don't know if that bit of information helps you any, but a good paint job is gonna be expensive.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

rare69

most top notch body shops around here charge 35-45 dollars an hour plus materials. and Any really good body guy is going to do a lot of extra work that you don't necessarily see as needing to be done, but will really show in the final product. if you want a really nice paint job that is going to last, pay a little more now instead of a lot latter to have it fixed.

hemi-hampton

$15,000 in body work but you say it needs to be primed & block, What kind of Primer on it now? Dont tell me it's been sitting in Bondo & bare metal ? Best to let the bodyman or same shop paint it for the $6,500. That way they can take the blame if anything goes bad/wrong, No passing the buck to anyone else. Or just pay me $5,900 to do it :scratchchin:  What color is it going :scratchchin:  LEON.

hemihead

$ 15000 in Body Work ? That car must have been BAD or you got taken for a ride already.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

68charger383

Quote from: dads_69 on October 01, 2007, 12:23:09 PM
For what your needing done, my rates start at $5500.00 and up. It all depends on what color customer wants, type of material,color sanding after words. Car show paint or daily driver paint job also.

I always hear that...show/driver paint.

I know what the diffence in the final result looks like, but what is the difference, more coats of paint/clear...more time spent on the prep? What is done differently?
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

Quote from: hemihead on October 02, 2007, 07:29:55 AM
$ 15000 in Body Work ? That car must have been BAD or you got taken for a ride already.

Do you know the whole story? Here, you decide which it is: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9867.0.html

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 01, 2007, 10:45:48 AM

With all the low riders parked outside maybe his price includes a set of hydraulics for the Charger!HAHA!

:haha:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dads_69

Quote from: 68charger383 on October 02, 2007, 09:28:18 AM
Quote from: dads_69 on October 01, 2007, 12:23:09 PM

I always hear that...show/driver paint.

I know what the difference in the final result looks like, but what is the difference, more coats of paint/clear...more time spent on the prep? What is done differently?
A lot of extra blocking goes into it. Normal is two stages of blocking vs. three or four. When base coat is applied, the final coat of base is blocked and re-sprayed with more base. I lay down 2 coats of clear, bake and cut that down w/600 then clear again 3 or 4 coats then bake. make the job easier to cut down using 2000 and 2500 then buff. I do custom paint jobs as well, two tones,graphics, flames, pretty much whatever is within reason for the price I am charging at that time for the job I am doing.
A daily driver paint job is easy. Gut the car, repair dents, some rust or replace panels. Prime, block re-prime and sand with 320 then seal-paint-clear color sand when necessary. Engine bays are an extra $750.00 and up depending. Hope this answers your question.
Mark

justin1987

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 01, 2007, 12:31:13 PM
Where I used to work, the guy would charge $10,000 for a General or Starsky N Hutch car because there are no decals....all hand painted!  Don't know if that bit of information helps you any, but a good paint job is gonna be expensive.

:o Holy crap. The guy that painted our limited edition Starsky and Hutch production car only charged $1,200. The original quote was $1,500, but he lowered it because he said it was easier than what he thought it was going to be. It's not show perfect by any means but you can't see the blemishes unless you know where to look, and all those can be taken out if we would have had the car buffed out after it was cleared.

The same guy is painting our Charger in about two weeks and he quoted us $1,000 to $3,000 depending on how much prep work he has to do. That includes fixing a body line that our body man somehow screwed up.  :flame:

I guess things are a little cheaper in Oklahoma. LOL  :cheers: