News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger - Bulge Hood

Started by Goodz, September 30, 2007, 11:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodz

Hi all.  Totally brand new here and new to the restoration scene.  My GF is huge with this stuff and I just bought a 71 Charger for her.  She would like to have a Bulge hood on it, as well as some other features, but finding a Bulge Hood for a reasonable price has been brutal.  Any help or advice in this department wuold be MUCH appreciated.  Thanks.
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

hemi-hampton

I see them on ebay sometimes but prices range from $400 (beat up) to $1,000 (nice) & anywhere inbetween. If you want it cheaper just buy a fiberglass bulge & fiberglass it onto car but I would not recommend this method. LEON.

Chargerfanatic

You can buy fiberglass hoods for around $500 or less. I am sure you will get differing opinions on who makes the best one. All of them are not perfect and need prepping before painting. If you don't care about it being perfect then it is a good option. Also the hood springs will need changed so the fibeglass does not crack. That is the option I am going since I don't want to spend all that money on junk. VFN has one for $390 according to their website.

87 Shelby GLHS

BMOTOXSTAR

Start saving your $ to buy one before they go even higher. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Goodz

Thanks for your feedback, guys.  I told my GF what you all said and she will decide from there, but I appriciate all your input.  I will let you know what she decides (but between us, I hope she gets the metal hood. LOL)
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

chargerman68

check your local mopar swapmeet may find one....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Goodz on September 30, 2007, 11:25:49 PM
  She would like to have a Bulge hood on it, as well as some other features, but finding a Bulge Hood for a reasonable price has been brutal.

is not the only one LOL ;)

remember 71s bulged hoods were all with cut outs for R/Ts or Superbee inserts so thats make it pricey too. second half 71 was 72 kind with same cutouts. since 72 all bulged hoods were without inserts.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

twilt

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 01, 2007, 12:30:35 PM
since 72 all bulged hoods were without inserts.

Of course the best 3rd gen hoods have little pop up doors in the bulge.  ;D

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: twilt on October 01, 2007, 08:40:41 PM

:iagree: :drool5:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

eeehm, yeah, but I was talking about the "common" ones :P
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Goodz

Yeah, I was just kinda hoping to get one at a decent price.  Her brother (the body shop guru) talked her into the metal one (Thank God! LOL) and i have my eye on one now.  Might be able to get it for around $600.  It's in really good shape and should be an easy fix for the small dings in it.  Wish me luck!

Goodz

$600 fell through.  got outbid for one for $811.  anyone see any more around anywhere?

41husk

Quote from: twilt on October 01, 2007, 08:40:41 PM

Does anyone know were the vaccume lines go through the fire wall on the 71 for the buldge hood with the little pop up door?  Trying to get mine functional.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

73chargers4404

I seen your post om both looking for hideaways and bulge hood I located mine on moparts .http://www.moparts.com/   .i would post a wanted  add for both and you might try craigeslist .mopar swapmeets are good to .good look it took two years to find mine.