News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Steering Column Wires

Started by Beer, August 06, 2005, 02:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

73 under the steering column...would this be why the car would only start in neutral and not it park?

This a common problem with the Gen 3's?
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Crazy440

I beleive that's circut 12-R which is Battery.  It hooks to circut J1-12R, which is ammeter.
Nacho will no for sure.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

Chryco Psycho

no the park problem in with the tranny , either the wrong valve body or an adjustment in the linkage or a faulty NSS
the problem at the column is common & usuallyi s caused by a dirty connector, you need to fix that as well

Beer

Linkage or NSS then, the tranny is origional. Thanks Chryco, what should I do with that connector? Just clean it up? Build up liquid wire coating on the outside after its cleaned?
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Nacho-RT74

Is a very common Mopar fail beside the burned bulkheads at charging system wires. It happens not just for dirty, also because those conectors are weak to heavy loads. I had a new ignition switch and only takes around 6 months to burn.... not like that, but began the black burned spot.

That wire supports ALL the electrical load, with lights and charging system exception.

With that burned area, you can get, a hard starting engine since engine harness is feeded by that wire and coil could not get the enough juice ( on brown and blue wires ), fail on accesories ( black wire ) OR starter relay didn't get the power to route the power to starter motor ( yellow ).

BUT that could it be if doesn't start on any tranny gear. In this case I think on Chryco said.

abot fix that... the best would be really to find a new terminal IF is available up there... down here I can't find similar terminals but not the same, and doesn't fit on cavity, so I would need to run the terminals outside the plastic plug.

If you find the terminal, maybe also would need to rebuilt somehow the plastic plug if you want to conect everything like originally was. Maybe the cavity is out of shape because is melted and new terminal won't make good contact with male terminal at underdash harness plug.

I have another extra load fail what is the A/C blower system overheating everywhere ( behind the lever selector, at fuseblock and at resistance plugs ) melting slooooowly all the plugs... not at the same time, one day I notice how the lever selector is overheating, another day is the fuse, and I can see how the resistance plugs are melting. I DON'T KNOW WHERE IS THE PROBLEM really... plugs are tight and clean for sure, blower is also dissasembled, cleaned rotor tracks, and brushes, and of course terminals.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

reddscharger71

what is that orange wire on that connector i have 71 and wire diagram looks to be a ground but i have it going to the gear shifter light on my column there is no end on under dash i have it tied to another orange looking wire under dash in harness :shruggy:

Charger1973

My cars wiring looked like that (alot of them do).  I just pulled that wire from the connector and hooked it up seprately.  My car didnt start one day in park and I just ran it through the gears pretty hard and it must have just not been all the way in park because it started fine after I did that.