News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger gas tank question

Started by 69chargerR/T, September 29, 2007, 04:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

Has anyone had this problem, I can't seem to fill my gas tank all the way. I think its a vent problem, I can only fill the tank half way about 10 to 12 gallons and then the gas backs up in the filler neck :shruggy: I think my gas gauge works ok, when the gauge reads empty I go to put gas in and I can only get maybe 12 gallons in and it backs up in filler neck and I can't get any more gas in it and the gas gauge reads a little over half tank :shruggy:  How can I check to see if the gauge is right ? If I check the sending unit how many ohms should it read at full and at empty so I can find out if its the gauge that is bad, sending unit bad, or if the tank is not venting right and not allowing me to get the tank full :shruggy: I don't know if the tank is full when it backs up or if its half full like the gauge says it is or when the gauge reads empty the tank is really half full and thats why it only takes 10 to 12 gallons :shruggy:

Thanks, Alan

Chargen69

dont know how to check it, but your gas guage is wrong, it is typical for a guage that old not to go all the way up to full.

y3chargerrt

Drive it until it runs out of gas they fill it up.I bet the tanks ok and its a sending unit problem.

no318

Mine is about the same.  I THINK they are only a 14-16 gallon tank anyway.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: no318 on September 30, 2007, 07:18:59 AM
Mine is about the same.  I THINK they are only a 14-16 gallon tank anyway.

no318, I think its a 19 gallon tank, does any one know if it is a 19 gallon tank :shruggy:

Thanks, Alan

Steve P.

I WOULD:

1) Run it down to the empty mark.
2) Set the car up on stands.
3) Remove the fuel hose at the sender.
4) Use another LIKE DIAMETER hose from the sender to an electric pump. Another hose from the pump to    a 5 gallon clean gas can.
5) Power up the pump and see how much gas you put into the gas can. DON"T LET IT PUMP GAS ALL                 OVER.
6) If you even get close to filling the gas can, STOP and replace the sender.

For the millions of times the float has gone up and down it is very common that the sender is shot. 
If you have a 5/16" sender now and you think you may need to increase the fuel system in the future, go ahead and put the bigger, (3/8 or 1/2"), sender on it now.

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69chargerR/T

Quote from: Steve P. on September 30, 2007, 12:12:51 PM
      I WOULD:

1) Run it down to the empty mark.
2) Set the car up on stands.
3) Remove the fuel hose at the sender.
4) Use another LIKE DIAMETER hose from the sender to an electric pump. Another hose from the pump to    a 5 gallon clean gas can.
5) Power up the pump and see how much gas you put into the gas can. DON"T LET IT PUMP GAS ALL                 OVER.
6) If you even get close to filling the gas can, STOP and replace the sender.

For the millions of times the float has gone up and down it is very common that the sender is shot. 
If you have a 5/16" sender now and you think you may need to increase the fuel system in the future, go ahead and put the bigger, (3/8 or 1/2"), sender on it now.

:cheers:

Steve P. , Thanks for that idea, the tank is almost empty now so I'll try that and see how much gas comes out of the tank when the gauge reads empty :2thumbs:

Thanks, Alan

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida