News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body shop question

Started by 69bronzeT5, September 29, 2007, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Hey guys, should the hood and fenders of my Charger be taken off for when it goes to the body shop or should I leave them on? :shruggy: :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger-Bodie

i own a resto shop and if you were bringing it to me i would want ALL of the sheetmetal on when you brought it , the first thing we do to a car is align ALL of the sheetmetal and the bumpers to detect any problems that would really suck to deal with later! So in a nutshell Id say leave it on. :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69bronzeT5

Ok, just another question, should the engine be taken out?? I think it should so the body guys can paint the engine compartment to match the colour of the car and etc etc....but Ive been told by a few people to just leave it in there and the body guys can cover up the engine when they paint :shruggy:

70charger_boy

I would leave the engine in, so they can better align all the body panels

Charger-Bodie

i would not paint the engine compartment with the gine in my way.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1hot68 on September 29, 2007, 04:30:20 PM
i would not paint the engine compartment with the gine in my way.

Exactly, thats why it looks like this now :icon_smile_big:

Charger-Bodie

Yep! black engine compartments are for black cars and brand X cars ONLY! IMO :Twocents:

Silver R/T

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 29, 2007, 02:37:16 PM

engine doesnt affect body panel alignment, k-member holds frame rails together underneath, radiator core support, firewall, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

70charger_boy

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 29, 2007, 05:13:13 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 29, 2007, 02:37:16 PM

engine doesnt affect body panel alignment, k-member holds frame rails together underneath, radiator core support, firewall, etc.

:whistling: :leaving:

bill440rt

IMHO, I'd prefer to remove the engine & disassemble the car as much as possible. If you're gonna be detailing that engine compartment, it would be much easier to disassemble beforehand rather than try to work around a freshly painted exterior afterwards.
You'll be able to detail everything while the car is being painted, & just reassemble it when you get it back. A much cleaner job.

Leaving the body panels on is OK, at least the shop can see how it is put together if they're not familiar with these cars. Normally, engine removal/installation should not have an effect on panel alignment.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on September 30, 2007, 11:11:21 AM
IMHO, I'd prefer to remove the engine & disassemble the car as much as possible. If you're gonna be detailing that engine compartment, it would be much easier to disassemble beforehand rather than try to work around a freshly painted exterior afterwards.
You'll be able to detail everything while the car is being painted, & just reassemble it when you get it back. A much cleaner job.

Leaving the body panels on is OK, at least the shop can see how it is put together if they're not familiar with these cars. Normally, engine removal/installation should not have an effect on panel alignment.

when i said leave the panels on , i didnt meen to leave them on for the entire process , just so that the shop can align the panels to be sure that the adjustment is there so that you dont find out later that they wont align as good as needed. its an extra step to align the metal just to remove it right away but trust me its worth it when it makes it that much easier to reasemble.

Silver R/T

you have to take doors, trunk lid, hood off to jamb them and do the underside, inside the trunk, inside the engine bay. Once inside is all done, you bolt all the panels back on, mask them off and paint the whole exterior in one shot.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 30, 2007, 01:56:24 PM
you have to take doors, trunk lid, hood off to jamb them and do the underside, inside the trunk, inside the engine bay. Once inside is all done, you bolt all the panels back on, mask them off and paint the whole exterior in one shot.

that may be how YOU do it but it surely not the way I do it . some people dont want tape lines in every opening of the car (ie doors deck lid hood etc)

PS Silver R/T  im not trying to be a know it all but , from most of youre posts (ecspecially about body and paint) you should be asking questions instead of answering them! :eek2: :shruggy:

Silver R/T

If you go to any body shop (probably not the one you are working at) this is the way they do it if whole car is being repainted. My college teacher taught all of us the way to do it. So maybe you should be applying for local teacher at community college since you know it all. You do not notice any tape lines, because you blend it in. I'm talking about bc/cc system (I do not like any other way, ie single stage system) because bc/cc is the best way to go, unless you're working on something cheap like at maaco. I definitely wouldn't be painting my charger single stage.
You do not realize what I am saying because you probably have not painted much. Ive been painting for years.
First you lay doors on sawhorses or hold it with one of these :

obviously you're painting the inside. Then you take door off (once its cured of course) and bolt it onto the car. You tape the window, backmasking along the edges. This way no overspray goes onto painted inside or inside the car.
Here you can see whole car being painted, as you can see all the major body parts are intact.

You have to be careful especially with metallics. You have to have all the body panels on the car because if you lay doors on saw horses etc, metallic flakes will lay differently and you will have different shaded parts all over the car.
Now if anyone else needs more lessons do not hesistate to pm me or ask on here. This forum is for helping each other. Now if someone wants to attack me, I can't help that and it's up to moderators to stop that (if they pay enough attention to that).

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 30, 2007, 03:52:54 PM
If you go to any body shop (probably not the one you are working at) this is the way they do it if whole car is being repainted. My college teacher taught all of us the way to do it. So maybe you should be applying for local teacher at community college since you know it all. You do not notice any tape lines, because you blend it in. I'm talking about bc/cc system (I do not like any other way, ie single stage system) because bc/cc is the best way to go, unless you're working on something cheap like at maaco. I definitely wouldn't be painting my charger single stage.
You do not realize what I am saying because you probably have not painted much. Ive been painting for years.
First you lay doors on sawhorses or hold it with one of these :

obviously you're painting the inside. Then you take door off (once its cured of course) and bolt it onto the car. You tape the window, backmasking along the edges. This way no overspray goes onto painted inside or inside the car.
Here you can see whole car being painted, as you can see all the major body parts are intact.

You have to be careful especially with metallics. You have to have all the body panels on the car because if you lay doors on saw horses etc, metallic flakes will lay differently and you will have different shaded parts all over the car.
Now if anyone else needs more lessons do not hesistate to pm me or ask on here. This forum is for helping each other. Now if someone wants to attack me, I can't help that and it's up to moderators to stop that (if they pay enough attention to that).

SILVER the way you are talking about is fine for a run of the mill paint job or on a non show car type job but if you are painting a Charger its probobly not going to be done as much justice with paint lines and dry spray resto work is alot differant than average everday stuff like you are obviously used to working on.

PS SILVER R/T how many best of show  and first place trophys do you have for the cars youve done? i have 5 bos 27 1st place and numerous others  all on a wide variety of mopars that have been done at MY shop.

PSS i wasnt trying to attack you ! just trying to help bronzy

70charger_boy

bill440rt

Quote from: 1hot68 on September 30, 2007, 11:26:09 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on September 30, 2007, 11:11:21 AM

when i said leave the panels on , i didnt meen to leave them on for the entire process , just so that the shop can align the panels to be sure that the adjustment is there so that you dont find out later that they wont align as good as needed. its an extra step to align the metal just to remove it right away but trust me its worth it when it makes it that much easier to reasemble.

Right, 1hot68. I knew exactly what you meant.  :2thumbs:

Bronzy here is just asking for some advice. I just don't want to see him get some bass-ackwards advice like painting jambs, then masking everything up, & painting it again.  :D   Obviously, if the means are there to paint it disassembled, then do it. You'll get a cleaner job in the jambs. Most production or collision body shops do not work this way. I know a few shops in my area that paint pieces off the car & then assemble them just for the sole purpose of no tape lines in the jambs.

PS- And, FYI, even IF you backtape them, or use D.A.R.T tape, you'll STILL get a line. And, if you use any kind of pigmented sealer, you'll get a bleed-thru line that you'll HAVE to spot in later. Believe me, I KNOW.

PSSSilver- My '70 was painted disassembled. Guess what? It all matches. And it's metallic.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Goodz

OK, I think we can all agree that there are several way of doing things.  Everyone here seems to think that there way is the best way, but that doesnt mean its the only way.  Some people have more experience and have modified techniques to fit their style and get a perfect paintjob while that same sytle might be a disaster for someone else.  The end result is what's important and it's nice to have different opinions to choose from when you ask a question.  Now if he goes with one of your ways and it doesnt work out, he has someone to blame.   :rofl:
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Silver R/T

^^^^^exactly, now if someone wants to post pictures for others to see that would be even better, that way there's no bsing around and saying that they're right and everyone else's wrong.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

I do it a little different then all those ways. People tell me it can't be done but they change there mind after I'm done. LEON.

Silver R/T

shit, everyone read the article of guy rolling on the paint with a roller. I dont see people bashing him, afterall it works. It's just not the way I'd do it.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Goodz

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 01, 2007, 10:51:18 PM
shit, everyone read the article of guy rolling on the paint with a roller. I dont see people bashing him, afterall it works. It's just not the way I'd do it.

LOL!  i would LOVE to see that.  i have an airbrush.  it will take me about 6 days to finish, but i could do it too.  LOL
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

TUFCAT

I hate PAINT LINES!!!  Period. :RantExplode: I spent weeks (maybe months) doing "paint-line surgery" on my '72 Charger Rallye after someones ametuer restoration. UGH.

Silver R/T

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
It was actually discussed on here a bit ago, I just can't find the thread. Most of the members were impressed by it nonetheless.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

here ya go SILVER OL BUDDY!!