News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas Cap Location

Started by FastbackJon, September 29, 2007, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Just a random question... why in the world would an automaker put the gas filler cap on the passenger side of the vehicle? Like on the new Viper and on the old Challenger? They did it right with the first and second gen Chargers and put it on the driver's side. It's quicker to get to when pumping your own gas, and that's the side it is on when racing Nascar since they race counter clockwise.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

charger Downunder

Its for us right hand drive countries,another thing to think about why have the radio aerial on the curb side of the car to catch the trees when you park.
[/quote]

400/6/PAC

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 29, 2007, 04:10:36 AM
Its for us right hand drive countries,another thing to think about why have the radio aerial on the curb side of the car to catch the trees when you park.
Park facing the other way and you wont have to worry about the trees :lol:

Ghoste

Jon, it's because of a highly secret and gentlemans agreement between the car makers that they would mix up the gas cap location on their vehicles so that service stations could keep two lines of happy customers fueling up and reduce long waits.  For this, the big oil conglomerates give the top execs at the car mfgs brown paper bags filled with small bills and coupons for free stuff from the convenience stores.

bordin34

Or everybody could just buy a 3rd Gen because the gas cap is in the middle and you can go on either line.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

70charger_boy

I actually like the gas cap located in the back behind the license plate.  That way if there is a line at the gas station and a pump opens up you don't have to worry about what side its on

six-tee-nine

Well it's just a habit i guess.

Most European cars over here have the filler on the right side....

Mostly it's not a problem when everyone has the filler cap on the same side but when one car shows up with the filler cap on the other side then you start getting in eachothers way...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

69charger2002

the passenger side filler is bad enough, but i think the back is worse.. on my 69's, when i fill up, i can stand straight up and fill the tank. on my 68 rr, it's in the back, i have to practiclaly break my back because it's so low down there behind the license plate.. it really sucks in the back.. maybe if it had jacked up air shocks it would be better
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Chris G.

We had a Burger King a few towns over from me that had a reverse drive-thru. You actually had to order and pick up through the passenger side. It really sucked if you had manual windows. What a complete disaster that was. It did last for about 10 years before they changed it. Moral to the story, cap is better on the driver side.  :yesnod:

Ghoste

Or maybe it's caused by "California confusion"?  Didn't all the NASCAR pits in the US fill fuel from the left except at Riverside?  These cars were race inspired after all.

70charger_boy

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 29, 2007, 09:37:16 AM
the passenger side filler is bad enough, but i think the back is worse.. on my 69's, when i fill up, i can stand straight up and fill the tank. on my 68 rr, it's in the back, i have to practiclaly break my back because it's so low down there behind the license plate.. it really sucks in the back.. maybe if it had jacked up air shocks it would be better
trav

I kneel down when filling my T/A

Ghoste

Now see, were it not for the sig photo with that strange foreign looking GM type vehicle at the bottom of your post, a statement like that would have a bunch of Mopar enthusiasts like ouselves wondering just how damned tall you would have to be!!  :o :o

70charger_boy

Quote from: Ghoste on September 29, 2007, 10:59:46 AM
Now see, were it not for the sig photo with that strange foreign looking GM type vehicle at the bottom of your post, a statement like that would have a bunch of Mopar enthusiasts like ouselves wondering just how damned tall you would have to be!!  :o :o

:lol: :lol: 

Silver R/T

Quote from: bordin34 on September 29, 2007, 08:55:57 AM
Or everybody could just buy a 3rd Gen because the gas cap is in the middle and you can go on either line.

ah thats it lol
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ghoste on September 29, 2007, 08:14:25 AM
Jon, it's because of a highly secret and gentlemans agreement between the car makers that they would mix up the gas cap location on their vehicles so that service stations could keep two lines of happy customers fueling up and reduce long waits.  For this, the big oil conglomerates give the top execs at the car mfgs brown paper bags filled with small bills and coupons for free stuff from the convenience stores.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:  Ghoste you always have the punch line...... :rofl:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."