News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My car stranded me today, no spark --UPDATE--

Started by 1BAD68, September 28, 2007, 11:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

First time since I've owned it, ran fine and then when I went to start it, it fired up for two seconds and died and would not fire up.
I checked for spark at #1 spark wire and didn't have spark. Then I checked coil spark wire and found no spark. Checked for voltage at coil with key in run and found 11volts, key in start I found 10.4volts.
Swapped the coil and found same results and no spark. Three days ago I installed a Pertronix Ignitor and its been running better than ever until today.
I'm not sure how to test the Ignitor so I tried bench testing the coil, all the ohm readings matched what my repair manual says so I tried hooking 12 volts to the positive side of coil and momentarily grounded the negative side, held the spark lead near a ground and got the slightest if any spark. So I tried the same thing with the other coil and got the same results.

Does any one know how to bench test a coil besides ohm reading?
And does anyone know a way to test a Pertronix Ignitor to see if its bad?

I just installed a brand new battery and still no sparky

Blakcharger440

Interesting....i am having the same problem with the 440 in my 70 Charger RT. I am getting power to the coil but I am not getting spark from the coil to the distributor or plugs...I have the MP ignition kit with orange box.

I am waiting for someone to answer your question as it may hold the answer to mine as well. :shruggy:

2Gunz

Blakcharger440 -

I just ran into the same sort of thing and it turn out to be the electronic ign.

Kinda ran when it wanted to and other times not at all.

1Bad68-

Just some links that might or might not help.

These are not a mopar thing just general coil stuff.

http://www.mymopar.com/coiltest.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/aa062902b.htm

BMOTOXSTAR

Exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, check the pick-up coil in the dist. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

resq302

Similar thing happened to me a couple years ago.  Was running fine, then died when it got hot.  Let it sit for a while, then fired up fine to it warmed up again.  Turned out it was the pick up inside the distributor.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1BAD68

I'm running the Pertronix ignitor so I'd have to buy another, I'd rather just test it to make sure its bad or not but cant find any info on how to check it.

1BAD68

just installed points back in car and it fired right up. I guess the Ignitor went bad but why?
I still want to run one but want to know what fried it.

Update:
I put the Ignotor back in, I figured everything else was good because it fires right up with ponts installed.
This time it fired up and worked good, the only conclusion I can come up with is that I had a bad ground for the ignitor. It needs to be bolted down very tight to the distributor.
So for anyone having trouble with the Pertronix Ignitor, doublecheck your ground.