News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GTX motor progress... UPDATE... VROOOM!

Started by 471_Magnum, September 28, 2007, 10:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forza

Congrats man, Im glad everything is finally done and hopefully that puppy fires up on the first try. Talk about a long, drawn out ordeal you went through. You'll forget it all when you get it on the highway, love those GTX's!

71gtx

471_Magnum

In the words of Carl the Greenskeeper.... IT"S IN THE HOLE!!!!  :boogie:

Gearbox is a 23 spline. Future upgrade will be a 18 spline OD gearset from Passon Performance.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Charger_Fan

Man, that looks sweet! :drool5:

BTW, I like the shipping wrap idea on your fenders, to keep grungy paw prints off. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger-Bodie

there are some real nice contrasts of colors in that gine compartment ...me likey me likey alot?/ :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mefirst

:2thumbs: -Damn, wish my hemi project/build would move on as fast as your engine build..

/Tom

471_Magnum

Quote from: Mefirst on October 06, 2007, 02:33:09 PM
:2thumbs: -Damn, wish my hemi project/build would move on as fast as your engine build.

Don't know if I'd consider eight weeks fast. Fortunately, once I got all my parts, the machine shop did turn it around quickly.

Anyway, about all there is left to do now it hook-up the clutch linkage, install radiator & shround, hook-up the exhaust, fill the fluids, prime it and install the ignition.... then let it rip. :2thumbs:
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ricardo

Rolling_Thunder

NICE!     Lookin Good man!     We just got the 440 running in that Road Runner I mentioned - it was a 9 week endeavor...    Machinist took the most time...      :2thumbs:    be sure to post some "smokie" pictures 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

Good to hear Jim.  We've been waiting with baited breath up here.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 471_Magnum on October 06, 2007, 05:46:24 PM
Quote from: Mefirst on October 06, 2007, 02:33:09 PM
:2thumbs: -Damn, wish my hemi project/build would move on as fast as your engine build.

Don't know if I'd consider eight weeks fast. Fortunately, once I got all my parts, the machine shop did turn it around quickly.

After about 8 weeks or whatever,  my block has progressed to a location somewhat nearer the line boring machine.
That progress was this week.    The previous 7 weeks or so the progress was approximately NADADAMTHING. 
Your machine shop kicks ass.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

471_Magnum

Got it fired up and broke-in. Took a little more work than expected to get it started (always does).

Had a brain fart and overheated it a bit in during break in. I forgot to top off the radiator. About ten minutes in, I had to shut it down. Let it cool, filled it up, then started it again to finish the break-in. No harm, no foul.

Runs good. No leaks. Actually idles a lot smoother than I expected with the XE274H.

Anyway, I'm waiting for it to cool down so I can change the oil. Also need to make a clutch adjustment.

Then I'll get it out on the road and report back. Stay tuned.

The70RT

Cool. Sounds like you will be back on the road soon. :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

471_Magnum

Quote from: The70RT on October 07, 2007, 02:34:38 PM
Cool. Sounds like you will be back on the road soon. :2thumbs:

Soon?!?! Is today soon enough?  :icon_smile_big:

Went for a spin around the block. No motor issues, but the cluch linkage needs work. For some reason, the clutch pedal is not coming up all the way against the stop.

I also noticed the z-bar is contacting the exhaust pipe. Something has shifted around down there.

Need to let it cool off and get it back in the garage. 92 degrees here today... record high. Too damn hot to be leaning over a hot(ter) car.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

NYCMille

Congrats Jim! Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

six-tee-nine

We.....eeeehhhhhhm.........kinda jaleous here    :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Troy

Too bad I missed it the last time. Maybe I can make one last little trip before cold weather sets in.  :2thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

firefighter3931

So which cam did you end up using ? Earlier in the thread you mentioned the xe274h then you mention the xe275hl ? If you did use the HL version did you trim the guides down for retainer clearance ?

Glad to hear it's up and running !Ā  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

471_Magnum

XE274H

It actually idles a lot mellower than I expected. No problem maintaining a 800 rpm idle. I expected a bit more lope.

Still has OEM style exhaust though. Not like I'm running headers and 3" pipes.

I'll get the clutch issues resolved tomorrow, then I can wring it out a bit.

70charger_boy

Chatt69chgr

Hey 471 Magnum-----Could you talk a little more about some facets of your engine design.  You said that you ended up with a 9.3:1 CR.  You are using 452's milled down to end up with 84-85cc chamber.  And the pistons had a CH of 2.067.   Did you have the block deck milled at all?  If so, how much was taken off and did you measure the resulting deck height?  Assuming a stock deck height of 10.72, your pistons should be sitting approx. 10 thousands in the hole (assuming std stroke).  What thickness head gasket are you running?  Was you block bored?  How much?  Where did you buy your pistons and what is the part number---you said they are 12cc dished----were they special order?  Are you running a standard stroke of 3.75 inches and using standard rod lengths of 6.768 inches.  I am curious because I don't see how you ended up with a 9.3:1 CR.  I was using the calculator at the following link:

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=deck

Sorry to barrage you with so many questions but I am trying to sort out my own engine build right now.  Thanks.