News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering box finish

Started by 68 RT, September 28, 2007, 09:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 RT

What is the correct finish for power steering box, bare cast iron or black? Thanks Doug

gtx6970

Quote from: 68 RT on September 28, 2007, 09:35:37 AM
What is the correct finish for power steering box, bare cast iron or black? Thanks Doug

both , what was it originally ?

68 RT

Right now the one on my car is painted with cast iron paint. I'm getting ready to replace it this weekend.

Chatt69chgr

I think it depends on whether you had power drum brakes or power disc brakes.  The 69 with power disc brakes had the master and the Bendix booster painted black.  I think semi-gloss is correct.  If it was a power drum setup, then I think the correct booster is a Midland-Ross and it's gold cad.  I think the booster with these was natural cast iron.  Someone needs to confirm (or refute) what I have said.

resq302

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 28, 2007, 04:48:02 PM
I think it depends on whether you had power drum brakes or power disc brakes.  The 69 with power disc brakes had the master and the Bendix booster painted black.  I think semi-gloss is correct.  If it was a power drum setup, then I think the correct booster is a Midland-Ross and it's gold cad.  I think the booster with these was natural cast iron.  Someone needs to confirm (or refute) what I have said.

He is asking about the power steering box, not the power brake booster or master cylinder.  I agree with Bill Alphin, it could have been either way.  Seems like the majority of them were semi gloss black though.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Lately I have seen more unrestored cars painted black.   They also have a white paint drip mark starting from the adjuster nut dripping down the side of the box.....an assy line mark perhaps.
My NOS later model box was painted like this
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68 RT