News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this the correct shifter and console

Started by ryan053, September 27, 2007, 02:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryan053

I just got a 68 charger and i cant get the center console to stay straight or even sit in place.  It just moves around and is way loose.  Is this the correct shifter and console.  The car is a 4 speed and has buckets.

ryan053

The drivers side edge of the console is alot longer and bigger then the pass. side as you can see in the previous pic

keepat

Looks like a auto console you may be able to modified it to work? Was the car always a 4 speed car and are there mounts for the console under the carpet?
Pat

ryan053

Yeah its the original transmission.  Ill pull up some of the carpet and see if theres anything there.  All thats on the console are these little sharp spring sort of looking things that i guess poke into the carpet?  i may be totaly off but they are on the bottome edges of the console.

ryan053

ok so i took out the pass. seat and pulled up the carpet.  There are some brackets on floor board.  There doesnt look like anything on the console that will attach to those brackets though.  on a side note, under the carpet there is this rubber pad thats like an 1/8" thick that sits between the carpet and floor board.  Should i pull that out and toss it.  It seems like a great spot for water to sit and rust which is already happening as you can see.

keepat

ryan053

ok mine is definently for an automatic.  I wonder why its in there.  Guess my girlfriend is going to kill me for having to get a new one.

keepat

You could cut your auto console like the 4 speed console, move the carpet trim holes up and get a console carpet kit for a 4 speed console. I think other then the cut out and trim holes they are the same console? That carpet trim could be short? :shruggy:
Pat

no318

The shifter is corrrect.  You can get the hump to convert your auto console to a 4 speed console, BUT the hard thing to find is the stainless trim along the drivers side.  It is different for manual trans. 

kab69440

Harm's Auto makes the repop driver's side trim.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

ryan053

man no 4 speed console parts are cheap.  The price i pay for buying a 4 speed :'(

terrible one

Quote from: ryan053 on September 28, 2007, 02:44:31 PM
man no 4 speed console parts are cheap.  The price i pay for buying a 4 speed :'(

Cut the console you've got, get a '69 top plate to match the '69 on there already, cut a hole in it, put new woodgrain on it, and there you go.

ryan053

ive got the top plate.  I was either thinking of selling the one i have now and buying the correct one or just cutting it.  It looks kind of cool without the console too.  Kind of like a bare interior like on a roadrunner.