News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

big block / hemi oil pumps

Started by hemi68charger, September 27, 2007, 11:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Which way is best for a street 426 hemi?  High volume or pressure.. Shopping around now for a pump and drive gear.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

HV pumps are high pressure by design. With a 1/2in pickup my preference is for a high volume pump with a windage tray and at least a 6qt pan.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

When I built my 426 I used full groove main bearings. I also used the MP HV oil pump and it seems to work just fine and holds 55-60 psi at idle hot or cold with 10/30 oil. 

hemi68charger

Thanks guys....
I'm going the HV path...   Like you mentioned Ron, the 1/2 pickup will help as well...... Now, if I could only find an original '68 hemi pan.. I have  '70/71, but it's incorrect.. This may have to be something I have to live with since the only "new" pans out there are the '70/'71 design.......  Oh well, I'll not be crawling under the car all that much...........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Troy, i don't think you can go wrong with the HV pump using a 1/2in pickup. If i remember correctly ; the 68 hemi pan is only 5 qts. That being the case the later 6qt pan is a better option, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 28, 2007, 07:16:55 PM
Troy, i don't think you can go wrong with the HV pump using a 1/2in pickup. If i remember correctly ; the 68 hemi pan is only 5 qts. That being the case the later 6qt pan is a better option, inmo.

Ron

Ron, i'm pretty sure you are correct on that which would also explain the reason for the repo 70-71 oil pans only.

Troy, if you can get by with the use of the lower grade oils such as the 5w/30 or 10w/30 oil the better off you will be since it takes so long for the oil to reach those twin sets of rockers. I had a F.A.S.T racer tell me that years ago and it made good sense.