News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anyone help me out

Started by Blazingenemy, September 27, 2007, 10:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazingenemy

My father bought me a 1973 Charger SE, it has a 400 in it but its seized and not in the greatest condition. I'm in the middle of taking it out but were not sure if it worth to rebuild or just find a 440. My father got me the car to learn and fix but eventually sell so i take it you have a better chance selling a charger with a 440 then a 400, note i don't have much money so I'm doing this on the cheap end, I would hope to use all the parts i could out of it. I'm 18 and don't have much money, so its running out fast. I did find a 440 for $200 but its in a camper, but i heard those are not the same. So if anyone knows some more information to help me out or any websites with cheap parts, or anything to help me get started, I don't know much so i am learning.

Thank You!

Brian

41husk

welcome aboard,  I know people who have used 440s from moter homes, nothing wrong with that,  having a 440 may he;p the resale, but the key is $ it will cost you at least $2,000 to rebuild the engine and you should be able to find a running 400, 383 or 440 in the $500 range.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dukeboy_318

any big block car will sell faster than a small block.  Value is more with 440 simply because the 440 cost more to begin with.  If it were mine, Id pour some coke in the thing let it sit overnight and then put a socket on the crank and turn it, should unseize it.  Then rebuild the 400,
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

gordo1968charger

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on September 27, 2007, 12:44:49 PM
any big block car will sell faster than a small block.  Value is more with 440 simply because the 440 cost more to begin with.  If it were mine, Id pour some coke in the thing let it sit overnight and then put a socket on the crank and turn it, should unseize it.  Then rebuild the 400,
cocaine or coca cola?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: gordo1968charger on September 27, 2007, 12:53:33 PM
cocaine or coca cola?

He must mean the cocaine, that will get it stirred up and gittery again. :smilielol: :smilielol:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

my73charger

What kind of shape is that body in?

41husk

You guys are going to have this 18 year old thrown in jail trying to score some cocain to unsieze his engine :rofl:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Blazingenemy

Sounds odd to use Coke (the pop) but ill trust you and give it a shot, I guess it would cost a lot to rebuild thats if i could find an engine for $500 working (know where i could get one?) about the body, its in good shape it has a little bit of rust on the outside. It needs new floor pans and paint job and it will start looking good. Thanks for all the help

Blazingenemy

I guess my best is buying a new engine but that 440 in the motor home is sitting in a junkyard way up north, and i don't know if it can run or if it seized. Where can i find one running and in good shape? Im located about 40 miles north of Detroit so if anyone knows where i could find one in my area please let me know

Steve P.

If you are unsure about doing a rebuild or don't want to spend the money to have it done you could look around for a donor car with a big block to replace what you have..

Have you tried to turn the motor over by hand?? Pull the plugs out when you try it. This will relieve the compression and make it much easier to turn..

I would pull the plugs and shoot the cylinders as full of penetrating oil as it takes.. Usually about 10 seconds of spray per hole. Then let it sit for a day or two. It doesn't hurt to give each hole a second shot after a while either.. Anything to free up stuck rings with as little damage as possible.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BMOTOXSTAR

BTW man, post some pic's of that SE.  :drool5:
I had one & had to sell it last Summer.
It is for sale on Moparts by some flipper in Florida. :flame:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

dukeboy_318

Quote from: gordo1968charger on September 27, 2007, 12:53:33 PM
cocaine or coca cola?

sorry, forgot you like both :smilielol:, im talking bout coca cola this time

dukeboy_318

Quote from: Blazingenemy on September 27, 2007, 02:24:54 PM
Sounds odd to use Coke (the pop) but ill trust you and give it a shot, I guess it would cost a lot to rebuild thats if i could find an engine for $500 working (know where i could get one?) about the body, its in good shape it has a little bit of rust on the outside. It needs new floor pans and paint job and it will start looking good. Thanks for all the help

Yeah i didnt think itd work either, but coca cola actually eats corrison and rust.  I just tried it and it works somehow.  cheapest way too.  I doubt you'll find a running 440 that doesnt need any work for only 500,  recently 440s that need rebuilt are going for around 500 and thats if you find one close enough.  Iv been looking for a while and im just 8 hrs south of you in indiana, so I decided to go for a 400 from another member.  440s are good but by the time you find one, you could have rebuilt that 400 yourself and had it bored .030 if needed for that price.  Just some helpful advice.  If you have your heart is set on a 440, try the local junkyards, never know what might show up there one dya suddenly.  Post some pics of this charger too, man

Steve P.

I just found a complete 77' "C" class motor home with a 440 for $300.00.....   That might just end up being my next car hauler...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blazingenemy

Blazingenemy

How much is a 440 block worth? If i go up north and get that 440 out of the motor home for $200 I take it its a win win deal (maybe not), I know its a newer motor so Is that a bad thing? What major difference will I run in to? Sorry for all the questions I don't know much but I'm trying to learn

Thanks

Steve P.

You say the 40 you found is WAY UP NORTH in a JUNK YARD. Well, I would look for something close to home that is running. Check CraigsList in your area. I find many deals there...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dukeboy_318

Quote from: Blazingenemy on September 27, 2007, 09:40:00 PM
How much is a 440 block worth? If i go up north and get that 440 out of the motor home for $200 I take it its a win win deal (maybe not), I know its a newer motor so Is that a bad thing? What major difference will I run in to? Sorry for all the questions I don't know much but I'm trying to learn

Thanks

Dont worry botu askign questions, I too am learning and have been in this hobby for just a little bit.  My opinion is to ask as many questions as possible to avoid ruining one of these cars, too much money involved to screw something up.  Anyway,  if you do go and get the motorhome motor, you'll need a oil pan for a b-body as truck and motorhomes were different pans, you'll also want to swap out to either a stock 440 cam for a car or go with a upgraded cam as the rv cam thats in it wont work very well in the charger, you'll probably need a new intake and carb as well. Some of the accessory brackets might be different.  Id say for 200 and depending on the driving distance, the 440s not a bad idea, it will just require effort

dukeboy_318

do you know if that 400 is the orginal engine that came with the car from the factory, if so then keep it and rebuild it, a numbers matching car is worth way more than a 440 swapped charger.  numbers matching means that all of the numbers on the vin, motor and trans all match and were put in the  car from the factory in case you didnt know what i meant