News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

re-pop calipers

Started by HeavyFuel, September 21, 2007, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I have to vent.

Why doesn't some company just make re-pop 4 piston calipers, rotors and pads for the 2nd gen cars?  I  just seems too easy.  I mean, all these companies make lots of conversion kits for every application.  Or we can go out and search out tons of later model used stuff to rig something up. 

It just dosen't make sense to me.  A company could make a bundle on just calipers, pads and rotors, direct swap out for original parts.

:brickwall:

Ghoste

Well, the four piston setups were heavy and prone to pistons hanging up in the bore so coupled with the fact that it was a very rare option there likely isn't much demand for replacement or retrofit parts on them.  As far as updating drums to disc, there are a number of kits already on the market doing it better.
Easy for me to say though since I have new rotors and pads and some backup pads stashed away for my car.  But it would be nice to score some new calipers.

Mike DC

The options for 14" wheels aren't too great though.  And some of the aftermarket kits don't even use OE-based stuff. 

HeavyFuel

I  didn't think that factory discs were that rare.  But after you said that I had to look it up, and that was an optional item, even on the R/ts.

I guess I'll be converting over to the later model stuff, and shelving the original stuff I have.

Ghoste

It wasn't as rare with some of the other brands I don't think but the Mopar standard drums on the muscle cars were so big that I think a lot of guys back in the day just didn't bother ordering an upgrade.

Mike DC

Yes, that's the reason IMHO. 

GM would build a GTO or a Chevelle SS with shiite little drums if you didn't option them up.  It was literally sizes that would scare you on a little A-body Mopar, like 9x1.5" or something like that.

HeavyFuel

I spent a bunch of time looking through the files on this site, and found some good info.  I think I'm just going to have the orginal 4 pistons calipers rebuilt.

I looked at my orginal stuff that I took off the car.  It appears that the car had a total brake job front and rear just before it was parked by the previous owner about 25 years ago.  The front rotors have little wear and have never been cut.  The rear drums are similar.  The pads up front still have the Raybestos part number (R4528-4-FP) on the edge, fully visible.  They are about 3/8 inch thick and appear to be almost new.

I guess it would be a shame to not put this stuff back on the car.  Either that or sell it to some schmuck for a jillion dollars for his concours car.