News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash question

Started by ryan053, September 26, 2007, 09:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryan053

I just got my charger and i have some questions about the dash.   Most of the gauges dont work and i havent figured out why yet.  One question i have right of the bat is that next to the speedo on the right is supposed to be a switch.  What goes there.  Mine just has a big rectangular hole?

UFO

Well if this for a 68,that empty hole is for a rear defroster switch.

ryan053

yeah its for a 68 sorry i forgot to mention that.  and the defroster switch is missing.  There are no wires in the back window for a defroster though?

Rolling_Thunder

rear defroster was an  option...     if it was not optioned on the car the dash recieved a little plastic cover that snapped into the hole...     as far as i know that piece is hard to find
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ryan053

ok well that news isnt so good.  Maybe ill have to make something up.

Ghoste

As for the guages, which ones don't work?  You may have a bad limiter.

lilwendal

PG Classic makes the filler piece for the defrost hole. 45.00

ryan053

so far i know the oil pressure guage, the speedo, the clock, and the alternator guage reads at around 20.  I dont know if thats normal.

smokinrt

Suggest you start by purchasing a Service Manual, you can find them on the internet all over under automotive classic literature.  I couldn't live without it.  Also buy a restoration book, one that referrs to car part numbers.  It will be so much easier when looking  for a true matching part, good luck,
SmokinRT

smokinrt

One more thing, start by replacing your limiter on the guage cluster before you even start fixing any guage,  it may solve a bunch of problems, than go from there. They have replacements at the local Chrysler parts counter.

HITMAN 149

Quote from: lilwendal on September 27, 2007, 05:06:38 AM
PG Classic makes the filler piece for the defrost hole. 45.00

i picked one up from PG somewhere in the $35-$45 range...they do pop up on ebay every now & then.
actually i have to spray my PG piece to match my dash bezel that i'm re-doing... so that it'll match... the PG piece was a lil shiny/glossy compared to how the dash should be dull/flat. but the piece fit in real nice!! if it helps!?!?!?
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

ryan053

is the part just called a limiter or is it a voltage limiter?  also what does this thing look like.  id like to bring it with to make sure i get the correct one.

Ghoste

It's called a voltage limiter and it's a small metal can on the back of your dash.  It's rectangular in shape and about 2 inches long and .75 wide and maybe .5 deep.  They will be a lot cheaper from a place like NAPA than they will from Chrysler.  Also, you can get the service manual for your car on cd-rom from Mopar Performance.