News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice Ebay car dilema

Started by 70charger_boy, September 25, 2007, 07:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

I just won a 1966 Pontiac Tempest on Ebay for 2 grand.  Car is a very nice running project.  I was real happy when I won it.  I emailed the owner with my phone number, but he will call late at night when I'm sleping, so I don't answer. 
I call him during the day, but he has his phone off.  He doesn't email me.

Do you think the seller doesn't want to part with the car?  Should I just give up?  I feel that the guy might strip the car of parts, because it sold so cheap

The car is in Marengo, Iowa

nakita7

I've had Ebay 'dilemmas' before. You got to do what you got to do. I suggest, just answer when he calls, even late at night. Be polite, ask him "Buddy, what's the deal?" and take it from there.

supserdave

I work about 20 minutes from there, I could go check it out if you need me to. I work with a couple guys from there to, PM me if I can help.
Dave

70charger_boy

Quote from: supserdave on September 25, 2007, 07:23:09 PM
I work about 20 minutes from there, I could go check it out if you need me to. I work with a couple guys from there to, PM me if I can help.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Pm sent

supserdave

One other thing I thought of, his address is out in the country. If he's a farmer chances are he's harvesting now, which could explain not calling back until late.
Just a thought.
Dave

70charger_boy

Ok that would make sense

One other thing.  You say it's out in the country, do you think it would be hard to get an auto transporter over there?  I already got a shipping quote, but was wondering

dkn1997

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 25, 2007, 07:16:38 PM
I just won a 1966 Pontiac Tempest on Ebay for 2 grand.  Car is a very nice running project.  I was real happy when I won it.  I emailed the owner with my phone number, but he will call late at night when I'm sleping, so I don't answer. 
I call him during the day, but he has his phone off.  He doesn't email me.

Do you think the seller doesn't want to part with the car?  Should I just give up?  I feel that the guy might strip the car of parts, because it sold so cheap

The car is in Marengo, Iowa

you are not completing this deal because he calls when you are sleeping?   How about exchanging emails to get the deal done?   you have gone from winning to "he's stripping the car?"  that's a pretty big leap. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-Pontiac-Tempest-2-door-post_W0QQitemZ300150991458QQih
Z020QQcategoryZ6426QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice project, but it would be easier to sell it to you for the 2 grand than to strip it for parts.  Nothing extremely valuable on that car. 

RECHRGED

70charger_boy

I just talked to the guy and everything is OK.  He was a little disappointed that he didn't get more money, but a deal is a deal.  I'm excited.  I've been looking at getting a project like this for a long time.  If you guys want I will post pics when it arrives.  Thanks for all the advice.  It is often hard for me to trust people.

supserdave

I just talked to the guy I work with, and he knew of him and said he never heard anything bad.

Good to hear it got taken care of.

70charger_boy

Quote from: supserdave on September 26, 2007, 05:31:11 PM
I just talked to the guy I work with, and he knew of him and said he never heard anything bad.

Good to hear it got taken care of.

Thanks alot for your help, supserdave. If there is anything I can do for you let me know. :2thumbs:

HITMAN 149

congrats!!!!!!!! nice GTO clone!!!!!!! good luck w/ her!!!!!
:2thumbs:
$2k nice deal!!!!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

70charger_boy

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on September 26, 2007, 09:02:04 PM
congrats!!!!!!!! nice GTO clone!!!!!!! good luck w/ her!!!!!
$2k nice deal!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

HITMAN 149

don't forget bro... WE LOVE PICS!!!!!!!!!!  :yesnod:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

The70RT

I have a parts car. I may part with some things.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Forza

Very nice pick! That would make a great GTO clone, love that body style. Looks like a great project. Can't wait to see more pics.

HemiDave

Glad it worked out! :2thumbs:

I have two rough project GTOs. 66 HT and a 67 vert..like I said...rough, but all there. If I didn't liek Mopars so much, I'd be a Pontiac guy. :icon_smile_big: :rotz:

Dave
68 Charger R/T 440, auto

ChargerSG

Is it a running while restoring or a total tear down? Good luck with it :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

70charger_boy

Quote from: ChargerSG on September 27, 2007, 03:50:48 AM
Is it a running while restoring or a total tear down? Good luck with it :cheers:

The guy said it runs great, just the carb has alot of carbon in it.  I have 3 carbs laying around so that is not a problem

The70RT

I just seen the pics. Body looks pretty good. A little interior work and you should be good. Figure if you did all the prep work and had it painted for a couple K and interior for a K you would have 5k car worth way more in my opinion. Let me know if you back out on it :D Do you live far from where the car is?

70charger_boy

Quote from: The70RT on September 27, 2007, 10:18:46 AM
I just seen the pics. Body looks pretty good. A little interior work and you should be good. Figure if you did all the prep work and had it painted for a couple K and interior for a K you would have 5k car worth way more in my opinion. Let me know if you back out on it :D Do you live far from where the car is?

I live 1200 miles away from the car.  The check is in the mail today.  The seller seems cool.  I have my fingers crossed.  I was looking into getting a gto grille and tail panel and interior. Let me know if your gonna sell parts off of yours, 'cause I'm gonna be needing them.  I'm also thinking about putting in a 389 6 pk and a decent paint job.

I'm a mopar fan and when I look at the design of the tempest and GTO's, they have that same back window as the 2nd gens :scratchchin:

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bordin34

Great looking car my cousin has one like it.
To me the 1966 Tempest look like 1968 Chargers and the 1969 GTO's look like 3rd gens.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

HITMAN 149

sorry bordin  :shruggy:
i don't think a 66 gto/tempest looks anything like a 68 charger!!!????!!!! sorta agree that a 69 goat looks a lil like a 3rd gen charger... but they are sweet cars!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

70charger_boy

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on September 27, 2007, 02:17:58 PM
i don't think a 66 gto/tempest looks anything like a 68 charger!!!????!!!! sorta agree that a 69 goat looks a lil like a 3rd gen charger... but they are sweet cars!!!!

I use to think that too, but I saw a red 67 goat with a black vinyl top drive by me one day and was like whoa!!  The rear window was just like a 68 charger.  The decklid and quarters prob not, but hey

The70RT

Quote from: bordin34 on September 27, 2007, 01:55:19 PM
Great looking car my cousin has one like it.
To me the 1966 Tempest look like 1968 Chargers and the 1969 GTO's look like 3rd gens.

I see it is a OHC 6 enginee. I have the 4bbl. intake and exhaust manifold for one. I am about to make a boat anchor out of it.

bordin34

It used to have an ohc-6, he put a 350 in it. He keeps the emblems on it for the sleeper look.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

70charger_boy

Borin, your cousin has one nice tempest :2thumbs:

70charger_boy

Well, the car was dropped off, in the dead of night, and it looks pretty good.  Thanks to all you guys for the advice.  Especially, Supserdave  :cheers:  and DKN for smacking the dumb out of me.  More pics in the morning.

The70RT

I was always was amazed at how much the rear window area looks like the Charger. I wonder if MoPar copied it somewhat. :-\

70charger_boy

Quote from: The70RT on October 15, 2007, 08:35:34 PM
I was always was amazed at how much the rear window area looks like the Charger. I wonder if MoPar copied it somewhat. :-\

You know, when I was trying to get it started I was checking the gas tank for gas and I looked up at the rear window and thought it was my Charger.  So, that is why I took that rear picture

The70RT

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 15, 2007, 08:42:32 PM
Quote from: The70RT on October 15, 2007, 08:35:34 PM

You know, when I was trying to get it started I was checking the gas tank for gas and I looked up at the rear window and thought it was my Charger.  So, that is why I took that rear picture

You been deserving a lot of these lately, here's another :slap:

70charger_boy

HITMAN 149

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 27, 2007, 02:51:45 PM
Quote from: HITMAN 149 on September 27, 2007, 02:17:58 PM

I use to think that too, but I saw a red 67 goat with a black vinyl top drive by me one day and was like whoa!!  The rear window was just like a 68 charger.  The decklid and quarters prob not, but hey

OK... OK... now i see the rear 1/4 pic .. and FINEEEEE the back window does look like a 68-70 charger!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! & GOOOOOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! PICS!!!!!!!PICS!!!!!!!PICS!!!!!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

70charger_boy

HITMAN 149

NICE!!!!!!!! looks like it's in good shape!!! just like that fatal error!!!  :drool5:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

70charger_boy

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on October 19, 2007, 01:36:06 AM
NICE!!!!!!!! looks like it's in good shape!!! just like that fatal error!!!  :drool5:

Oh, I'll hit the fatal error llike there is no tomorrow.  :drool5:

HITMAN 149

:rofl:  :yesnod:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Lowprofile

Nice score bro! My uncle had a 66 convert GTO silver/black interior top. His brother borrowed it one day while he was at work and wrapped it around a telephone pole on Atwood ave, back in 1979.  :rotz: :slap:

For getting such a nice car........you get another picture!  :2thumbs: :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

HITMAN 149

marrone... that's some fatch!!! (my best itallian spelling???!!!) LOL :icon_smile_blackeye:
damn she'd put a hurtin on ya!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

70charger_boy

Quote from: Lowprofile on October 19, 2007, 02:55:53 AM
Nice score bro! My uncle had a 66 convert GTO silver/black interior top. His brother borrowed it one day while he was at work and wrapped it around a telephone pole on Atwood ave, back in 1979.  :rotz: :slap:

For getting such a nice car........you get another picture!  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Dude, you are the king of POON pics!!!!!!  Just for thanks I'm gonna take some pics of Federal Hill, and Kennedy plaza and whatever else you want this weekend.