News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The germans keep screwing things up...........

Started by Todd Wilson, October 06, 2007, 12:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I read in the paper yesterday that a bunch of traditionalists are upset with Daimler because they want to just stick with Daimler instead of calling the company Daimler-Benz.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

I suppose they figured that Volvo did it to White and the uncultured Americans still buy them, so...

Or maybe, they figure it's a good way to help disasocciate themselves with those Chrysler people and prove that their great name is desirable after all?

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

Todd Wilson

They got FL and Detroit  because Chrysler owned them!

Todd

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 06, 2007, 02:02:19 PM
They got FL and Detroit  because Chrysler owned them!

Todd

Really?  I was always under the impression they were both swallowed when Daimler was purchasing big companies.

"In 1981, Daimler-Benz AG, one of the world's premier automotive companies and world-renowned builder of heavy-duty commercial vehicles, purchased Freightliner from Consolidated Freightways."
http://www.freightliner.com/inside/our-history.aspx

You think gearheads are patriotic and think with their heart versus quality.  Truck drivers are some of the strongest willed with their patriotic ways.  This name change can't be good for a visual affect.  True...FL's have always been German owned but held on to their name.  Just like changing the name of the Dodge Ram to Daimler Ram you're gonna have truckers' who won't buy.  :Twocents:

Ghoste

And Chrysler didn't own Detroit Diesel.  DaimlerChrysler bought DD in 2000 and Daimler chose to hang onto it when they divested themselves of the Chrysler group.  Some "merger of equals".
Oh well, water past now.

Todd Wilson

Yeah I reread that. Wasnt aware that Mercedes bought them in 81. I would have swore  Chysler bought FL years ago but I guess not.

Some of the Dodge sprinter stuff is from FL. New Sterling trucks are actually Dodge 4500 and 5500 series trucks. Its all mixed up now.

Detroit was bought by the DC group in 2000. Detroit used to be owned by GM at one time.

Todd

Ghoste

Yeah, Roger Penske bought it from GM I think.  He is definitely the one who sold it to DCX.  The funny thing about Sterling being like Dodge models is that when FL brought back the Sterling name, it was after they had bought the big Ford models.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Ghoste on October 07, 2007, 03:55:11 AM
Yeah, Roger Penske bought it from GM I think.  He is definitely the one who sold it to DCX.  The funny thing about Sterling being like Dodge models is that when FL brought back the Sterling name, it was after they had bought the big Ford models.

Yeah Penske had Detroit for a while. The new Dodge 4500 and 5500 trucks has a FL frame and the rest is all Dodge and they are putting a Sterling grill on some of them selling them as Sterlings.  The talk in the big truck world is similair to what we all here experienced with Mopar. FL has been going down hill with cheaply built trucks that are expensive. Quality has suffered a lot. Someone said they wondered when Volvo is gonna axe the Mack truck name from their line up?!?!  Good thing Chrysler got spun off when it did or be may had saw Daimlier Ram's and Damlier 300's   :brickwall:

Todd