News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM Goes on strike

Started by The70RT, September 24, 2007, 05:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

The news tonight shows GM hasn't had a proffit since 2004.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

70charger_boy

Quote from: The70RT on September 25, 2007, 06:11:13 PM
The news tonight shows GM hasn't had a proffit since 2004.

It's pretty hard to make a profit when upper management receives millions of dollars of stock and bonuses a year

Ghoste

I never fail to be amazed at the number of people who think working people should just be grateful they have a job and never try to improve their quality of life while.  And yet, it seems perfectly acceptable that a tiny handful of people are somehow entitled to millions of dollars.  Does anyone here really believe the power brokers of our civilzation don't get together and hammer out an agenda?  Why is one called a union and it is evil but the other is at worst, a lobby group, and at best the western way of life?
Don't for a minute think that I am implying that unions are angels or the greatest thing since Chinese made bread slicers, but I do think that in a world where business scandals turn up frequently, that if the people who work for these companies can get a piece of the pie by standing together, then they should.

charger01

Iam GM assembly worker in Ohio.  It just happens the plant I work for is the only non UAW plant in the U.S.  We were off work today due to ack of parts and will remain off work until the strike is settled.  Before I ever worked an auto assembly line I often questioned the workers pay and benefits.  I dont anymore.  Working an auto assembly line is very hard on your body.  You get aches, pains in body parts you never knew you even had.  I back the UAW 100%.  I do not have a problem with concessions at all to help GM.  It is totally necessary, but it has to go both ways.  Iam confident it will be settled soon.  A couple of weeks off will not hurt GM. In fact they lay off many plants for weeks at a time.  A strike is just cheaper for them, than to lay off temporarily.   It will actually help clear out some of their overproduced vehicles.  They will have it settled in 2 weeks.  The Uaw will sign a new agreement, and we will have business as usual.   Gotta love GM,  they bought my charger and my cuda for me. ;D

TUFCAT

I doubt it will go on past Friday ....so you can get back to work  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

charger01

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 25, 2007, 10:01:04 PM
I doubt it will go on past Friday ....so you can get back to work  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Hope you are right

2Gunz

The concept behind unions is great.

People should stick together to better their lives.

Problem is times are changing and people need to adapt or lose it all.

And Im sorry.... but you shouldnt have to pay somebody $40 an hour to do a job a trained monkey could do.

I work with the union alot (not the auto union) and most times I want to strangle them.

Then tend to cause trouble just because they can.

Some really great guys, but upper management seems to have an odd agenda then even the workers dont seem to

understand.

They need to overhaul and revaluate or lose it all.

70charger_boy

charger01

Try working an auto assembly line for a 10 hour shift.  May give you a different concept.  Dont know any line workers that make 40 bucks an hour.  Maybe you had a trained monkey as a math teacher.

The70RT

Quote from: charger01 on September 25, 2007, 10:39:25 PM
Try working an auto assembly line for a 10 hour shift.  May give you a different concept.  Dont know any line workers that make 40 bucks an hour.  Maybe you had a trained monkey as a math teacher.

:smilielol:............and to 70 Charger Boy..... :cheers:....your probably a little dry :D

TeeWJay426

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

hemihead

Always the same old story here. Union bad. Blue Collar worker bad. White Collar workers great.
I guess too many people were brain washed in the 80's by the Yuppies. I see nothing wrong with blue collar workers trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.The only way that can be done is with a labor union. Try going to work at a non - union shop and see how management treats you. You get treated like you are a company slave. Paid barely over minimum wage, 10 - 12 hours a day, mandatory overtime, no benefits.
Of course the white collar people think there is nothing wrong with that. They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.
And you can't blame the Unions for sending jobs to Mexico. That is White collar looking to improve their own bottom line.So when you want to blame the poor economy , blame corporate America. If people can't make a living, they can't buy your products.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TK73

Quote from: hemihead on September 26, 2007, 07:35:17 AM

They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.

HEY, that's MY job... and I worked long 'n hard to get to this level   :D
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

The70RT

Quote from: TK73 on September 26, 2007, 08:33:00 AM

They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.

HEY, that's MY job... and I worked long 'n hard to get to this level   :D

No wonder Jesus built your hotrod  :D

nh_mopar_fan

Always the same old story here. Union bad. Blue Collar worker bad. White Collar workers great.
I guess too many people were brain washed in the 80's by the Yuppies. I see nothing wrong with blue collar workers trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.The only way that can be done is with a labor union. Try going to work at a non - union shop and see how management treats you. You get treated like you are a company slave. Paid barely over minimum wage, 10 - 12 hours a day, mandatory overtime, no benefits.
Of course the white collar people think there is nothing wrong with that. They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.
And you can't blame the Unions for sending jobs to Mexico. That is White collar looking to improve their own bottom line.So when you want to blame the poor economy , blame corporate America. If people can't make a living, they can't buy your products.
Are you a painter? I ask because you seem to be quite skilled with that broad brush.

MichaelRW

I guess you forgot about Toyota, good pay and benefits, no union.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Silver R/T

Quote from: blackcharger on September 25, 2007, 06:42:16 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on September 24, 2007, 07:40:48 PM
They're getting uglier and uglier imo, including their trucks. Only car I would consider would probably be a Vette

glad you like it. that's about one of the uglist of them all. and way overpriced.

actually Z06 is one of the best US cars made for the money, if you knew what you're talking about you wouldn't be just blubbering it out. It compares to 100K price range exotics, etc. out there. Sure I like older body style but this new one has much more performance that compensates.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

runningman

Quote from: MichaelRW on September 26, 2007, 12:03:47 PM

I guess you forgot about Toyota, good pay and benefits, no union.

True, but if there wasn't a UAW they would be making $12 an hour.  Alot of pay is based off what the UAW has negotiated with the Big 3.  If Toyota didn't pay them that well the UAW would be in there in a second.  They figure they already have it pretty good, why join the union and have to pay dues???

The70RT

I just seen on the news a guy that was loading up the picket signs in the back of a Dodge truck :lol:.............hope it isn't a sign to come.

derailed

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 25, 2007, 06:19:03 PM
[

It's pretty hard to make a profit when upper management receives millions of dollars of stock and bonuses a year
Very good point, one that alot of people either dont see or overlook, they are just like most typical corporations anymore. What set of books are we gonna show them today. I would be willing to bet you could cut the well deserved wages and benefits of these workers in half and GM would still be crying poverty.

70charger_boy

Quote from: derailed on September 26, 2007, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 25, 2007, 06:19:03 PM
[

Very good point, one that alot of people either dont see or overlook, they are just like most typical corporations anymore. What set of books are we gonna show them today.

I have a really good friend that is a captain for American Airlines.  He took a 50% paycut  a couple years ago, because the airline said they were teadering on going bankrupt yada yada yada. The pilots union and mechanics union approved $1.6 billion in cuts. Later on that very same year the CEO and high level executives received $70 million in bonuses in the form of stock.  WTF!!
Wether you believe in a union, or not.  The truth is the worker does all the work and management reaps all the awards

RD

man who gives a shit really.... office worker vs auto worker... it dont matter, its not about physical labor or sitting in front of a computer... its about people making a choice at a vocation that brings them the money so that they may attempt to live their life the way they want to.

if you assume that one profession is better than another, then you are just a stubborn, opinionated ass in my eyes.

if you call the autoworker an asshole for trying to obtain a better life, then shoot yourself in the foot.  That is America.  We all want a better life.

if you call the Union Leader and the CEO dickheads for milking the little man, then finally you see through the bullshit.

but hey, we all know this, its called the American Way.... either jump on board or get left at the station.  What the hell is new about it?  Get over it.  Geez.

I dont blame the autoworker for trying to take care of themselves and their families, I blame the corporate greed mongers for trying to get rich off of everyone through self-indulgent quirks, bonuses, and ego strokes.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

derailed

Quote from: RD on September 26, 2007, 10:28:14 PM

I dont blame the autoworker for trying to take care of themselves and their families, I blame the corporate greed mongers for trying to get rich off of everyone through self-indulgent quirks, bonuses, and ego strokes.
:thumbup:  right on