News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM Goes on strike

Started by The70RT, September 24, 2007, 05:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

GM workers went on strike today. If the econonmy isn't bad enough already :rotz: Anyone here work for GM?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TUFCAT

Let's not get started on the union topic..... :icon_smile_blackeye:  It could get ugly.  Maybe this thread will last more than 3 hours.  :RantExplode:   Suffiice to say, I hope both sides make compromises where needed.  With wages, benefits, legacy costs, medical, etc., GM spends $70 per hour/per worker to make a vehicle :yesnod:  BTW, have you noticed (....on a positive note),  their new cars are getting better and better looking every year  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Silver R/T

They're getting uglier and uglier imo, including their trucks. Only car I would consider would probably be a Vette
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Khyron

wholoohooooo! The Challenger will beat the Camaro to the production line now!

well, someone had to be an ass and say it. Seriously though, hope it gets settles soon.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

70charger_boy

deputycrawford

I live here in Toledo. I have many friends that work at the Toledo Jeep plant. They all seem to think Chrysler is not up for striking. They just went private and wouldn't want to do any damage to their future that is already in the air. We should be OK. I don't think there's any real trouble brewing.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

TUFCAT

70charger_boy

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 24, 2007, 09:40:48 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 24, 2007, 08:39:33 PM

:popcrn:   meow

Now that's FUNNY!!!  Meow back at 'ya 70charger boy  :2thumbs:

:smilielol:  I have been known to lock some threads, but I'll be quiet on this one. 

blackcharger

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 24, 2007, 07:40:48 PM
They're getting uglier and uglier imo, including their trucks. Only car I would consider would probably be a Vette

glad you like it. that's about one of the uglist of them all. and way overpriced.

TeeWJay426

I heard on the radio this morning that they have a two month backlog of unsold vehicles.... the supply won't be affected until they are sold! Hopefully it doesn't last too long- won't be good for anybody if it does.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

TUFCAT

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on September 25, 2007, 08:34:39 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that they have a two month backlog of unsold vehicles.... the supply won't be affected until they are sold! Hopefully it doesn't last too long- won't be good for anybody if it does.

A sixty day supply of new vehicles is normal and considered pretty standard. As far as lost production, (according to media reports) GM will lose 11,000 vehicles per day and 3 MILLION dollars per week in lost revenue. If the strike continues longer, it will affect Candaian production as well,  from a shortage of engines, transmissions, etc to build these units. If this happens, GM will lose 18,000 per day in North American production alone.

The longest UAW strike with GM in 1970 lasted 69 days. 

pettyfan43

I hope the UAW and those workers who think they can't live without them are happy. All they are doing is giving GM one more reason to consider moving their job to Mexico or overseas.

Which is better, taking a little less of a benefit to secure your job, or filing for unemployment because you're su bullheaded you can't see the whole American car market is in BAD shape?

This is NO time for grandstanding. They better see the real truth before they are all asking "You want fries or onion rings with that combo?"

The70RT

The trickle down effect will take it's toll on lots of manufactures. Goodyear will be one. They make pass & lt. truck tires here in Topeka and will only be able to stockpile tires for a little while before their lay off will began. This is about the worst time for a major strike with everything else going to hell in a handbasket.

TUFCAT

Without coming across as sounding political here....the local news (in Detroit) was interviewing many of the folks on the pickett line. Surprisingly (good that is) most of them want to get back to work, and hope the strike ends very soon. The consensus is they can't afford to be without pay, and its bad for the economy - SHOCKING!!! This would have never been the case 5-10 years ago.  It seems from most of the strikers interviewed, they have more loyalty to GM, and (less than expected loyalty) to the UAW....bottom line is: they want, and need their jobs. Go figure.  :scratchchin:

P.S., I don't mean to offend loyal UAW members, or get the thread locked.  ::) 

hutch

Lets give the Unions what they want so cars cost 50K to drive one off the lot.  I have worked at my share of union shops and they suck. Its only a matter of time till America makes nothing anymore because we can produce it at a cost people will pay to buy it.  Health care is fucked up and no one wants to fix it. they only want to tax people to pay for a fucked up system.  I say pay OT to people who want to work OT, fire people who dont want to work or cant work.  Its simple.  If a place cant afford to give you breaks and time off and the type of health care you want then find a new job.  It sucks but why on earth distroy something for everyone and an entire nation just because you and a band of people have them by the balls.

The issue of making cars people will buy is not 100% of the issue.  GM cant make a good car people can afford because of Unions.  You cant get a great car like we did in the 60's at a low price because of two things.  Goverment safty standards and Unions. 
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

41husk

I think a strike affects the entire community, employees don't go out and make any purchases not absolutly needed.  I know when the teachers went on strike here 6 years ago, one local restaurant went out of buissness.  The owner said he had mostly teachers and not only did they not come in for the 6 weeks of the strike, but months after buissness was still not back to normal.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

70charger_boy

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 25, 2007, 08:40:57 AM
Quote from: TeeWJay426 on September 25, 2007, 08:34:39 AM

A sixty day supply of new vehicles is normal and considered pretty standard. As far as lost production, (according to media reports) GM will lose 11,000 vehicles per day and 3 MILLION dollars per week in lost revenue. If the strike continues longer, it will affect Candaian production as well,  from a shortage of engines, transmissions, etc to build these units. If this happens, GM will lose 18,000 per day in North American production alone.

The longest UAW strike with GM in 1970 lasted 69 days. 

According to CNN GM is loosing 100 million dollars a day

MichaelRW

I recall the GM strike of 1970 since I lived in Lansing, Michigan back then. There were newspaper articles that showed the gains the workers finally got was less than what they lost by being on strike.  :brickwall:  It just mades no sense back then and even less now. Like it or not, the American manufacturers must compete in a a world market but with hourly labor rates of $25 per hour (mostly due to retirement benefit costs) more than the Japanese it is difficult for them to compete.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Our 68 Obsession

I haul cars for Allied Systems in Ontario. My dispatcher told me today  that both car lines at the Oshawa plant will be down this afternoon. Trucks tommorrow. Hopefully they came come to a resolution quickly, it effects alot of people, and as of tommorrow, most likely me :'(

41husk

Yep! and the people like you that are effected, don't get strike pay or any bonus after they get back to make up for lost wages.  Will you get unemployment?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dukeboy_318

even though Im a mopar fan by birth, I will say that I hope they get it worked out soon. just for the fact that its an american company and I dont want to see any of the big three fail and get bought out by a japanese car maker
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

John_Kunkel

I have no predicted need for such a product as Caterpillar produces but if I did I would buy from Caterpillar solely because they told the unions to "shove it" and didn't knuckle under to their terms.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

red72chrgr

My step-daughter is a dispatcher for a trucking co. in Ohio. She called today and said they layed her off and were probably looking at laying a lot more people off. GM is there main acct. Thank goodness she's not married or have kids.
Nothing personal, just business

runningman

Chrysler employee here, most of this stuff cracks me up.   The companies complain about people being in the jobs bank but continue to open plants in Mexico, the bank was made just for that purpose.......to motivate companies to keep product here.  Most of the extra costs are due to retirees.......tons of them.   I believe Toyota just started having people retire in the last few years.  I pay 50% copays for office visits for my family which I don't mind but is alot more than all my friends are paying.  We don't make much more per hour than the foreign companies are paying in this country......maybe a dollar or so.  The sticking point from what I understand is job security, not pay cuts or taking on more of the health care and what not.  I figure it is only fair, if the companies want us to take these cuts and we do......fine......gotta have something in return though to make sure they don't send all the work overseas. 

The70RT

The news tonight shows GM hasn't had a proffit since 2004.

70charger_boy

Quote from: The70RT on September 25, 2007, 06:11:13 PM
The news tonight shows GM hasn't had a proffit since 2004.

It's pretty hard to make a profit when upper management receives millions of dollars of stock and bonuses a year

Ghoste

I never fail to be amazed at the number of people who think working people should just be grateful they have a job and never try to improve their quality of life while.  And yet, it seems perfectly acceptable that a tiny handful of people are somehow entitled to millions of dollars.  Does anyone here really believe the power brokers of our civilzation don't get together and hammer out an agenda?  Why is one called a union and it is evil but the other is at worst, a lobby group, and at best the western way of life?
Don't for a minute think that I am implying that unions are angels or the greatest thing since Chinese made bread slicers, but I do think that in a world where business scandals turn up frequently, that if the people who work for these companies can get a piece of the pie by standing together, then they should.

charger01

Iam GM assembly worker in Ohio.  It just happens the plant I work for is the only non UAW plant in the U.S.  We were off work today due to ack of parts and will remain off work until the strike is settled.  Before I ever worked an auto assembly line I often questioned the workers pay and benefits.  I dont anymore.  Working an auto assembly line is very hard on your body.  You get aches, pains in body parts you never knew you even had.  I back the UAW 100%.  I do not have a problem with concessions at all to help GM.  It is totally necessary, but it has to go both ways.  Iam confident it will be settled soon.  A couple of weeks off will not hurt GM. In fact they lay off many plants for weeks at a time.  A strike is just cheaper for them, than to lay off temporarily.   It will actually help clear out some of their overproduced vehicles.  They will have it settled in 2 weeks.  The Uaw will sign a new agreement, and we will have business as usual.   Gotta love GM,  they bought my charger and my cuda for me. ;D

TUFCAT

I doubt it will go on past Friday ....so you can get back to work  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

charger01

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 25, 2007, 10:01:04 PM
I doubt it will go on past Friday ....so you can get back to work  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Hope you are right

2Gunz

The concept behind unions is great.

People should stick together to better their lives.

Problem is times are changing and people need to adapt or lose it all.

And Im sorry.... but you shouldnt have to pay somebody $40 an hour to do a job a trained monkey could do.

I work with the union alot (not the auto union) and most times I want to strangle them.

Then tend to cause trouble just because they can.

Some really great guys, but upper management seems to have an odd agenda then even the workers dont seem to

understand.

They need to overhaul and revaluate or lose it all.

70charger_boy

charger01

Try working an auto assembly line for a 10 hour shift.  May give you a different concept.  Dont know any line workers that make 40 bucks an hour.  Maybe you had a trained monkey as a math teacher.

The70RT

Quote from: charger01 on September 25, 2007, 10:39:25 PM
Try working an auto assembly line for a 10 hour shift.  May give you a different concept.  Dont know any line workers that make 40 bucks an hour.  Maybe you had a trained monkey as a math teacher.

:smilielol:............and to 70 Charger Boy..... :cheers:....your probably a little dry :D

TeeWJay426

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

hemihead

Always the same old story here. Union bad. Blue Collar worker bad. White Collar workers great.
I guess too many people were brain washed in the 80's by the Yuppies. I see nothing wrong with blue collar workers trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.The only way that can be done is with a labor union. Try going to work at a non - union shop and see how management treats you. You get treated like you are a company slave. Paid barely over minimum wage, 10 - 12 hours a day, mandatory overtime, no benefits.
Of course the white collar people think there is nothing wrong with that. They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.
And you can't blame the Unions for sending jobs to Mexico. That is White collar looking to improve their own bottom line.So when you want to blame the poor economy , blame corporate America. If people can't make a living, they can't buy your products.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TK73

Quote from: hemihead on September 26, 2007, 07:35:17 AM

They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.

HEY, that's MY job... and I worked long 'n hard to get to this level   :D
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

The70RT

Quote from: TK73 on September 26, 2007, 08:33:00 AM

They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.

HEY, that's MY job... and I worked long 'n hard to get to this level   :D

No wonder Jesus built your hotrod  :D

nh_mopar_fan

Always the same old story here. Union bad. Blue Collar worker bad. White Collar workers great.
I guess too many people were brain washed in the 80's by the Yuppies. I see nothing wrong with blue collar workers trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.The only way that can be done is with a labor union. Try going to work at a non - union shop and see how management treats you. You get treated like you are a company slave. Paid barely over minimum wage, 10 - 12 hours a day, mandatory overtime, no benefits.
Of course the white collar people think there is nothing wrong with that. They sit in an office play on the computer all day,actually do work for about 10 hours a week, never get dirty or do anything physical.
And you can't blame the Unions for sending jobs to Mexico. That is White collar looking to improve their own bottom line.So when you want to blame the poor economy , blame corporate America. If people can't make a living, they can't buy your products.
Are you a painter? I ask because you seem to be quite skilled with that broad brush.

MichaelRW

I guess you forgot about Toyota, good pay and benefits, no union.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Silver R/T

Quote from: blackcharger on September 25, 2007, 06:42:16 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on September 24, 2007, 07:40:48 PM

glad you like it. that's about one of the uglist of them all. and way overpriced.

actually Z06 is one of the best US cars made for the money, if you knew what you're talking about you wouldn't be just blubbering it out. It compares to 100K price range exotics, etc. out there. Sure I like older body style but this new one has much more performance that compensates.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

runningman

Quote from: MichaelRW on September 26, 2007, 12:03:47 PM

I guess you forgot about Toyota, good pay and benefits, no union.

True, but if there wasn't a UAW they would be making $12 an hour.  Alot of pay is based off what the UAW has negotiated with the Big 3.  If Toyota didn't pay them that well the UAW would be in there in a second.  They figure they already have it pretty good, why join the union and have to pay dues???

The70RT

I just seen on the news a guy that was loading up the picket signs in the back of a Dodge truck :lol:.............hope it isn't a sign to come.

derailed

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 25, 2007, 06:19:03 PM
[

It's pretty hard to make a profit when upper management receives millions of dollars of stock and bonuses a year
Very good point, one that alot of people either dont see or overlook, they are just like most typical corporations anymore. What set of books are we gonna show them today. I would be willing to bet you could cut the well deserved wages and benefits of these workers in half and GM would still be crying poverty.

70charger_boy

Quote from: derailed on September 26, 2007, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 25, 2007, 06:19:03 PM
[

Very good point, one that alot of people either dont see or overlook, they are just like most typical corporations anymore. What set of books are we gonna show them today.

I have a really good friend that is a captain for American Airlines.  He took a 50% paycut  a couple years ago, because the airline said they were teadering on going bankrupt yada yada yada. The pilots union and mechanics union approved $1.6 billion in cuts. Later on that very same year the CEO and high level executives received $70 million in bonuses in the form of stock.  WTF!!
Wether you believe in a union, or not.  The truth is the worker does all the work and management reaps all the awards

RD

man who gives a shit really.... office worker vs auto worker... it dont matter, its not about physical labor or sitting in front of a computer... its about people making a choice at a vocation that brings them the money so that they may attempt to live their life the way they want to.

if you assume that one profession is better than another, then you are just a stubborn, opinionated ass in my eyes.

if you call the autoworker an asshole for trying to obtain a better life, then shoot yourself in the foot.  That is America.  We all want a better life.

if you call the Union Leader and the CEO dickheads for milking the little man, then finally you see through the bullshit.

but hey, we all know this, its called the American Way.... either jump on board or get left at the station.  What the hell is new about it?  Get over it.  Geez.

I dont blame the autoworker for trying to take care of themselves and their families, I blame the corporate greed mongers for trying to get rich off of everyone through self-indulgent quirks, bonuses, and ego strokes.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

derailed

Quote from: RD on September 26, 2007, 10:28:14 PM

I dont blame the autoworker for trying to take care of themselves and their families, I blame the corporate greed mongers for trying to get rich off of everyone through self-indulgent quirks, bonuses, and ego strokes.
:thumbup:  right on