News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Aluminum Heads from 440 Source

Started by chargerbr549, September 23, 2007, 08:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbr549

I don't know if this the place to post it but I see that 440 Source has released pictures of its new aluminum heads to come out in 08 and they look Sweeeeet!, its probably been up for a while but I just finally seen them today.

Kevin

metallicareload99

Thanks for the heads up.  I have been checking their site regularly for updates and the pictures are new to me.  I'm really thinking about getting a set, they look great

http://www.440source.com/heads.htm
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

my73charger

Wow that sounds like a good deal.  I was thinking the Eddy 84cc heads but this is half the price.  I wonder if I would have any problems with my domed pistons?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TRW%2DL2295F30&autoview=sku

Chatt69chgr

Anybody called 440 Source to see what kinds of valves they will use in these?  Stainless?  And wouldn't you want to let your cam manufacturer specify the valve spring to ensure comptibility?

Musicman

I've been waiting for these heads to hit the market myself... ever since Firefighter told me about them. I may use them in my upcoming Stroker project. We'll see what they have to offer when they actually hit the street.

chargerbr549

I saw in one of the descriptions that they are stainless 2.14/1.81 valves and hopefully they are 11/32 stems instead of the 3/8 stems.

Kevin

my73charger

After doing a little comparison with Eddy heads these look to be very comparable and definitely a better buy.  I think these are the way I will go for sure.  Ron can you give me your two cents?  :yesnod:

bill440rt

I'm patiently waiting for these to come out as well! I'm looking forward to some test articles about them before I buy & be the guinnea pig.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on September 25, 2007, 09:07:17 AM
Wow that sounds like a good deal.  I was thinking the Eddy 84cc heads but this is half the price.  I wonder if I would have any problems with my domed pistons?

The 440 source heads will work with the 2295 domed pistons but you won't be able to run a huge .600 lift roller cam with them. The chambers look identical to an e-head 84cc closed chamber RPM and those work fine with the 2295's. Piston to valve clearance will limit you to a .550 lift cam and approx 250@.050 duration which is still a pretty healthy street/strip stick....probably as big as you would want to go with a  pump gas build anyway. Assuming the block hasn't been extensively decked....those pistons will be .050 in the hole. With an 84 cc chamber and .040 head gasket your static compression will be in the 10.5:1 range.  :2thumbs:

Hopefully these heads will flow as advertised. If so there's an easy 75hp increase and possibly more depending on the rest of the build.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

In my case, I am simply waiting to see if I'm better off spending the cash for these new heads, or spending cash updating and fully porting a set of 452's. What will the differences be be in terms of performance verses cash, that's my question?

jg68

A little "heads" up on the new 440Source heads, they should flow 330 with a little touching up, Now i've talked with a dealer friend of mine who sells ProComp. heads for the SB & BBC, he sells them complete for 700.00, they have a really nice thick deck for milling, nice castings, & they flowed 440+ CFM on the BBC with some mild work, on a basic small cammed 454, they were getting 600+ HP on the dyno, I have a STRONG suspition this is the company that is jumping on the Mopar aluminum head band-wagon, if they are halfway decent in construction like the RPMs, i'm buying a set, we shall see :cheers:

tricky lugnuts

Maybe this is a question for 440 Source, but do you guys think the 'assembled' heads come with valves and springs?

Would they work with factory rocker arm set ups?

What kind of effect would they have on a bone stock, hmm, let's say '71 440 HP engine?

If yes to the first two questions, and 'good' to the third, that's a price I would be willing to pay!!!

Musicman

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on October 01, 2007, 05:15:21 PM
Maybe this is a question for 440 Source, but do you guys think the 'assembled' heads come with valves and springs?

Would they work with factory rocker arm set ups?

What kind of effect would they have on a bone stock, hmm, let's say '71 440 HP engine?

If yes to the first two questions, and 'good' to the third, that's a price I would be willing to pay!!!

The answers to your questions are available here:  http://www.440source.com/heads.htm

my73charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 27, 2007, 04:11:49 PM

The 440 source heads will work with the 2295 domed pistons but you won't be able to run a huge .600 lift roller cam with them. The chambers look identical to an e-head 84cc closed chamber RPM and those work fine with the 2295's. Piston to valve clearance will limit you to a .550 lift cam and approx 250@.050 duration which is still a pretty healthy street/strip stick....probably as big as you would want to go with a  pump gas build anyway. Assuming the block hasn't been extensively decked....those pistons will be .050 in the hole. With an 84 cc chamber and .040 head gasket your static compression will be in the 10.5:1 range.  :2thumbs:

Hopefully these heads will flow as advertised. If so there's an easy 75hp increase and possibly more depending on the rest of the build.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Hey Thanks Ron!!  This sounds like the direction for me. :2thumbs:

Challenger340

I'm hearing from my sources that it's the same foundry as "procomp", and definately an EDDY chamber copy. So far just heresay though.

Gonna talk to him again Friday, he's checking his sources for the licensing/buy-in deal specifics involved with the foundry(hope he don't forget, Pomona's coming up, and it's a "mopar" question).

Outa be a "good to go" head casting.

Everybody should support Brandon & 440source for stepping up ! These type of efforts NEED to be supported by YOU the consumer. It is NOT cheap to do, not to mention the TIME to go after it.

Go 440source  :2thumbs:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

my73charger

I am already working on having the funds to order these up.

SeattleCharger

reading their ad I am very psyched to see this part:

" . . . And, the straight (100% factory) spark plug location puts an end to hassles with header tubes fitting correctly." 

Eddy's have a slanted plug that doesn't  allow hp exhaust manifolds or many header applications, I was going to get the Mopar Performance alum. 84cc heads because of the straight out plug design, Mancini has em for 1400/pair, but these are the same basically and much less dough  :2thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

aifilaw

Ron,
since you seem to have the insider information on these guys, and they have obviously already flow benched them, can you post or send me the full flow numbers for 0.200 to 0.700 in increments of 0.05 or smaller?
Will save me from calling them.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 27, 2007, 04:11:49 PM

Ron
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Quote from: aifilaw on October 02, 2007, 06:45:40 PM
Ron,
since you seem to have the insider information on these guys, and they have obviously already flow benched them, can you post or send me the full flow numbers for 0.200 to 0.700 in increments of 0.05 or smaller?

I spoke with Brandon at the MATS show last spring but he didn't have the prototype ready....just some CAD drawings. I don't know if he's had them on a bench yet....he just posted a pic of the sample head....so far it looks pretty good. The chamber size and port volumes are identical to an RPM head, so i would expect it to flow in the same ballpark. I may order a set for my 70 R/T 6-pack car....it would be a killer stealth upgrade.

As soon as i have some data i will be sure to post it.  :2thumbs:

Some nice features built into the design :

(1) blind header/manifold holes....no leaking coolant to worry about.
(2) blind freeze plugs....stock look and no leaks.
(3) The casting looks very stock....that matters to some looking for a resto look
(4) The factory rocker shafts & rocker arms will work fine.
(5) Stock valve covers are no problem.
(6) closed chamber and 50+ cfm increase over the factory head translates into BIG power increase with the right parts.
(7) Straight spark plugs.....works fine with any header that fits an Oem head and factory exhaust manifolds as well

Ron

Ps. Here are a few pics Brandon posted....these heads look very nice !

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

I am so buying a set of these when they come out.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 04, 2007, 09:35:50 AM
Quote from: aifilaw on October 02, 2007, 06:45:40 PM
Ron,

(6) closed chamber and 50+ cfm increase over the factory head translates into BIG power increase with the right parts.

Ron what type of cam spec do you think would make the most out of that CFM increase (+50 over stock), assuming street not strip situation.  Set aside gearing and all, I just mean utilizing the flow potential of the head.  230-240 @.050 range, or....?

- Doug

Musicman

Quote from: RD on October 04, 2007, 10:39:41 AM

I am so buying a set of these when they come out.

Who said that you weren't?  :nana:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on October 05, 2007, 09:01:47 PM

Ron what type of cam spec do you think would make the most out of that CFM increase (+50 over stock), assuming street not strip situation.  Set aside gearing and all, I just mean utilizing the flow potential of the head.  230-240 @.050 range, or....?

- Doug

Doug, assuming these heads flow as well as the e-heads there are huge gains to be had with just about any cam profile. It's not only about the peak flow numbers....the low-mid lift flow numbers are more important because that is what the engine see's. The max lift is a very short period of time in the grand scheme of things....unless you are building an all out race motor.

Ideally, what you want are fat low/mid lift flow numbers for most any street motor. The e-heads are very strong in this area and i would expect that these will be too.

The duration at .050 just affects the powerband....not how much power the engine will make. The headflow and properly matched camshaft will ultimately determine how much power the engine will make. Of course other factors like headers, carbs, intake manifolds will come into play....so it's important to match all the components so that one (or more) aren't holding it back.

Ron

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 06, 2007, 12:06:45 AM
Quote from: Purple440 on October 05, 2007, 09:01:47 PM

- Doug
Ideally, what you want are fat low/mid lift flow numbers for most any street motor. The e-heads are very strong in this area and i would expect that these will be too.

That's exactly what I want, but I thought that the higher flowing heads only gave an advantage and higher RPM.  So even with a stock cam (for example) the e-heads or these would provide a torque increase?  I know they have optimal chamber shape and all (I think?) so that helps..closed chamber ect.  So going from 452's to a smaller cc closed chamber head with the proper shape is the goal, as an example?  You many remember I have 452's and am pushing for the e-heads, or these from 440 source, but I'm trying to understand what that would change in my engine performance.  I need a selling point (not for me, but for my dad)  :popcrn:

Steve P.

^^^  Hahaha... Tell dad the aluminum heads are much lighter, flow better and look killer when the hood gets lifted...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida