News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Donor roof is on!

Started by Harlow, September 23, 2007, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I finally got the roof on permanently. The first picture is when I was test fitting it and the rest are after I got it glued down. I ended up using the Lord product called Fusor. I called and talked to a few local resto shops and they agreed that it would work fine. So I went with it. I had to buy 40 1" C clamps from Harbor Freight. I have all the stuff I need to finish it up. I'm going to use Metal 2 Metal to fill in the seams at the pillars, seal the drip rails and then I just gotta put on the top. It should be pretty easy from here on out.

70charger_boy

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

pettyfan43

Man that is looking great but NEVER EVER SAY "It should be pretty easy from here on out." when working on an old car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's just ASKING for trouble!

bull

Looks good!

And people ask me why I don't like vinyl tops... :o

Charger_Fan

Fits like a glove, congrats!! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi-hampton

How many hours did it take you to do it? LEON. :scratchchin:

Harlow

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 23, 2007, 07:55:14 PM
How many hours did it take you to do it? LEON. :scratchchin:

The longest part of the whole thing was getting the donor off. I had to drill it from the bottom side so we didn't have any holes in the skin.sometimes we had to drill through 3 separate layers. :brickwall: We (my dad and I) probably spent about 20 hours getting the donor separated, 5 hours prepping the donor, 4-5 hours getting all the glass and chrome trim off of my car, 10 hours getting the old roof off, a few hours prepping the roof structure and another 2-3 test fitting and actually attaching the roof skin. So probably about 45 hours with two people. This was a learning experience for both of us so if we had some body work experience we could have probably done it much faster. I spent a lot of time waiting for products in the mail (adhesive, Metal 2 Metal, vinyl top glue, window sealer, drip rail sealer) I also had to make 2 or 3 one hour trips to go get more spot weld cutter bits. Drilling through multiple layers on the donor really chewed them up.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikesbbody

good job! you guys work fast  :2thumbs: but if you dont mind me saying, it seems alittle strange to go through all that and put a vinly back on? then again, your in AZ and not likely to see any (very little) rain but wont the hot sun fry the vinly top? give it some thought.