News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

323 vs 355

Started by 4aThrill, September 22, 2007, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

What are the pros and cons of having a 323 rear end ratio vs a 355 rear end ratio?

I have a 71 Charger 500 with a 383 with a ex energy 268, 3 angle valve job, headers, performer rpm, 670 moving to 770 soon. As for trans I have an 727 with a shift kit and a 2800 stall, rear end is 8 3/4 with 323, so which would be better an 323 or 355? I know it's all what I am looking for and would this combo match the 355 right. Just thinking about my options when I do have the car apart that's all, and be a good idea to now then later on down the road.
:cheers:

71superbee

I have a 71 Super Bee 383 4-speed that came with an 8 3/4 3.23 posi. The car went great on the interstate, but was not what i had hoped for around town. I talked with a few people and, on their advise, bought a 3.55 ring and pinion a 68 posi unit and a used carrier housing and had that set-up by a local mopar speed shop. I was very impressed after installing the 3.55's , the car is much more responsive around town. I can take the car on the interstate also.  I'm glad I made the switch and I have the 3.23's ready to pop in if I was planning a road trip.

Ghoste

It all comes down to primary usage really.  If you want a good highway cruiser that doesn't see excessive rpm at interstate speeds then you will want the 3:23.  If you want to be able to outpull anybody from the stoplight and make some legit dragstrip passes then you may even want to gear down some more (a 3:91 or 4:10 even).  If you want a little of both then the 3:55 is a nice balance and compromise gearset.  :Twocents:

aifilaw

unfortunately I can't pull up the important cam information from comp cams, or google's websites/searches.... have it handy?
durations and lobe seperation at 50 or advertised, pref. both.... or the in and ex openings and closings at both?
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

4aThrill

Thankx Ghoste  for the info i will look up the specs on the cam here soon. answered my questions that i had

:2thumbs:

4aThrill

ya the cam info I don't have here at work be able to do that like later sunday night