News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help need input

Started by onebadmopar, September 22, 2007, 10:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadmopar

hi everyone pulled my 383 out this morning its in need of a rebuild (looks to be just high mileage engine) my question is now that its out how should i go about it im gonna tear it down and see whats what with it i know i plan on changing the whole top end timing chain gears  cam lifters rockers but being on a strict budget im hoping to reuse crank rods pistons yes i know their cast but again on a budget not looking for a high horse power race machine more towards turn key go wherever i wanna go with out any worries the motor is a 1967 383 i noticed the push rods have a different tip at the end can i use newer push rods? what cam wouldyou guys use for a stock 383 ? the heads have already been done so no issues there i believe the castings on them are 516...that sound right ? and finally what do i bring to the machine shop for preppeing? i figure the block the mains and the pistons and rods im gonna try doing the assembly my self with the guidance of a friend of mine who just did his 440 in his 68charger ...wich i told him about this site and he loves it ......i hope none of thse questions are that stupid but im a  novice when it comes down to tearing an engine down and rebulding it but like he said when done i,ll  know for sure what i have :) thanks for any in put  i appreciate it

aifilaw

one question at a time...
based on what your doing, I would invest in some newer forged aluminum pistons, you will be clearancing the cylinder walls anyways, may as well find out what overbore you need, buy a larger piston and some new rings, and as long as your using a forged crankshaft the bottom end will last forever, you will be out minimum monies, and the shortblock will be able to withstand a lot more hp that you will obviously be trying to send its way later.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads