News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alternator lasts less than 2 months

Started by moparjohn, September 21, 2007, 09:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparjohn

Yep. you heard it.  I replaced an alternator in March or April, it let go at Gettysburg at the TDC meet, I got another this time at NAPA instead of Autozone, it let go today.  Same problem on all 3 the power lead bolt that comes out the back is loose and the alt. short circuts. Anyone buy an alt. latley that lasts?? I don't want to go though this again, roadside fix ups are a pain even if you have the parts. The car is a 69 w/ the 2 belt A/C pulley.  I highly recomend a spare fuse/link and such if these are the only ones we can get. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

deputycrawford

John, nice to hear from you again. My teenage daughter, Jessie, says hello also. You are her favorite at the Charger meets. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I had one rebuilt by a Chrysler nut that rebuilds starters and alternators for a living. He did a heck of a job, and mine has lasted four years. I hope you find the right guy this time or send me one to be rebuilt. He even has cores laying around and will just send you one. He even steel shot blasts the shell so it looks brand new for quite a long time. He's cheap to Chrysler nuts also. He just likes to see more of them on the road. He considers it doing his part.Let me know.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Rolling_Thunder

i purchased mine from a local swap meet...      100A conversion and it has lasted 6 years now...     Sinse its not in my car I put it in my boss's Bird...     makes driving at night alot nicer.  :2thumbs:

sorry to hear about your troubles...
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BrianShaughnessy

My powermaster is about 5 years old now.   :shruggy:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

2Gunz

Are your sure your not just putting the nut on to tight?

Also make sure something isnt banging into it.

3 of all the same problem seems really fishy.

JR

I must have gone thru 10 of the parts store reman in 5 years when  I was daily driving my car. I had one or two do what you describe. I don't know how to make the stupid things work, I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement, or probably running a GM or Toyota one wire alt.

I think the problem with the original alternators if finding a quality rebuilt one. There all 40 plus years old now and have been rebuilt countless times. I don't have good luck with them either.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

70charginglizard

Quote from: moparjohn on September 21, 2007, 09:52:32 PM
Yep. you heard it.  I replaced an alternator in March or April, it let go at Gettysburg at the TDC meet, I got another this time at NAPA instead of Autozone, it let go today.  Same problem on all 3 the power lead bolt that comes out the back is loose and the alt. short circuts. Anyone buy an alt. latley that lasts?? I don't want to go though this again, roadside fix ups are a pain even if you have the parts. The car is a 69 w/ the 2 belt A/C pulley.  I highly recomend a spare fuse/link and such if these are the only ones we can get. John

The sugestion I got from Shucks on this problem was on your next new one to place some lock tight on that stud for the power.

:smilielol: thanks....that will help. Not!

I actually got another one from them (shucks) and it was having problems the same day I put it on. I tried swaping the voltage regulator with the extra one I had and found that it wasn't it so I took the new alternator off and brought it in and they put it on there tester at tell me it's fine. I tell them it's not fine it's got to be bad because my alternator gage is all over the place so they tell me to bring the car in with the alternator installed and when I do this they finally admit with it installed on the car that the alternator is bad because it's overcharging the system. So I finally get a replacement and low and behold. It works this time. Of coarse I had to prove myself to these bastards before they'd do it. Lessons learned though I guess. 
70charginglizard

resq302

John,

I had a similar problem like you.  I was fine tuning my engine trying to adjust the distributor curve and I noticed that the back of my alternator stud was sparking a little.  I checked the tightness of the wire and found it to be loose which was causing it to spark since it was not a good solid contact. :o  I think that might be the problem that you are having also.  When I pulled the wire off, I noticed that there was no lock washer to hold the nut and wire tight to the alternator stud.  I put a split ring lock washer on there and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any problems. I think I caught mine before it started sparking too bad and really causing an amp draw that would make the fuseable link blow.  Either way, I have the spares that I ordered for you and they will be on their way to you on Monday morning.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A34

I saw at the Mopar Nationals, a company is now offering a restoration service for alternators. They are RPM Restoration Parts, but I believe it is more for concourse stuff than daily driver stuff. You might want to check with them. www.rpmrestoparts.com.

Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice