News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm done, stick a fork in me !

Started by jrust, September 21, 2007, 09:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrust

Here is a brief history. I bought this 3rd gen back in June to  use as a sometime driver. 400cu, bored to.30,  hughes camshaft lifters and adjustable pushrods, milled heads,  750 dp, summit 3" exhaust, 2500 stall. This is a rebuilt motor from the receipts I have.
This is what I'm done since then: MSD plug & play dist., 6al box, new 750 DP, NGK plugs, indexed the balancer, hv carter fuel pump, 5 core radiator, Doug's headers w/ TTI x-pipe w/ 2-1/2 exhaust system, hv water pump.
I've have gotten advice from Ron on timing and the carb adjustment which I applied to this car and this afternoon I gave it another try and this what happened.  After a full warmup, vacuum around 12*, idle screws out to 1-1/4 out, 850 rpm, timing out around 13-15*. I was running the throttle back and forth and again the damn thing backfired again, it went to 1200 rpm and wouldn't come down, after 30 seconds  the # 7 tube was RED hot so I shut it down. After this I saw that the hose on the PVC valve had been blown off.  I need some help here becasuse I'm at a point to trash this bad boy and suck the $$$$$$$ I've already made and get another motor.

chargerman68

dont let it get to u.if u were reading any of the help wont start i have been go on a no start motor for months..hang in here she will be worth it :cheers:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Purple440

Do a forum search, you'll find threads on "backfire", if you haven't already.  I know what you mean about sticking a fork in it, I've been there.  Keep at it!

jrust

Hi Guys,  :cheers: I have reseach about all the treads here & there and I come up with the same sernio.  I sit in the garage here going o

charger Downunder

I would say running lean turn idle screws out to two turns and try it.
[/quote]

jrust

Hi guys,  :cheers: I sit here in the garage thinking about all the scenarios and it just don't add up. I 've yet  see a pipe that hot which means alto of fuel burning after the spark. I own several powerstokes with the" programmers"  and they dont get this hot.

aifilaw

a specific cylinder got red hot.....
have you pulled a valve cover and checked the valve geometry on that specific one...

if not, perhaps you have a clogged venturi out of the 4 on the carb which is causing one corner of the engine to run lean and produce that result.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

If it's running hot the motor is either lean or the timing is retarded. Disable the vacuum advance if you're still using it. Retime it using a vacuum guage for max idle vacuum and see if it still runs hot. The problem with stock dampners is that the outer ring can sometimes slip which throws the timing #'s off. The only way to verify this is to index the balancer.

The backfire could be timing or an incorrect power valve.

How do the plugs look ? What kind of color are You seeing ?

Is this isolated to one cylinder ? Do you have access to an infrared heat gun ?

Ron

Ps. I looked at the hughes cam specs on your stick....it should be easy to tune. That's a pretty mild cam.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs