News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

started fitting the Daytona parts

Started by pandamarie, September 21, 2007, 06:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

I have started fitting the parts from Ted Janek and the fit is great. still need to fit all the headlight buckets and get a few parts from Dayclona
but right now the nose fits dead even with the side and tops of the fenders. still need the seal kit and the rubber between the nose and hood and fenders, anyone know of a good place for these for a reasonable price?? Next will be taking it apart to prime and paint then refit it all. still need to fit the valance panel after I modify the fenders.

70charger_boy

Looking good.  You're giving me some motivation :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Looking good.  If you're using a Janek valance, don't forget that the valance has a curvature where it meets the fender. When I converted Howie's fenders, I made a fixture from 3/4 inch angle iron to match the curvature of the valance.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

More pics

Charles Addams

70charger_boy

That was going to be my question.  Can a do it your selfer, like me, cut the fender for the valance, or should I take it to a pro?

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

hotrod98

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 21, 2007, 09:28:51 PM
That was going to be my question.  Can a do it your selfer, like me, cut the fender for the valance, or should I take it to a pro?

All it takes is basic body skills and the right tools. Notice that I only notched the corner of the drop down area of the fender to make the bend and then cut the new lip to match the original lip. A lot of guys cut the fender first and forget to allow for the bend allowance (setback). The trick to making the guide for bending the fender is to make slotted cuts in the piece of angle iron and bow it to match the radius of the valance and then carefully tack the slots to keep it from changing shape. You have to make a seperate guide for each side since they're opposites. First grade stuff in the body shop world.
Of course the next step is to fill in the side marker opening. I used the piece that I removed from the fender to make the filler piece for the marker opening.

Charles Addams

TomP

Looks good, Jack!  Hey - nice fenders!

Seen any Vega hatches around?  I'm still looking.

I just started the measurments for my wing tonight.  I've got a crunched quarter to repair and have to replace the rear valence, too.  I''d love to come see the nose sometime, since I'll probably be getting the same one.

'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

70charger_boy

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 21, 2007, 11:36:27 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 21, 2007, 09:28:51 PM

All it takes is basic body skills and the right tools. Notice that I only notched the corner of the drop down area of the fender to make the bend and then cut the new lip to match the original lip. A lot of guys cut the fender first and forget to allow for the bend allowance (setback). The trick to making the guide for bending the fender is to make slotted cuts in the piece of angle iron and bow it to match the radius of the valance and then carefully tack the slots to keep it from changing shape. You have to make a seperate guide for each side since they're opposites. First grade stuff in the body shop world.
Of course the next step is to fill in the side marker opening. I used the piece that I removed from the fender to make the filler piece for the marker opening.

thanksfor the tip, hotrod :2thumbs:

moparstuart

nice to see another project coming along
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pandamarie

Thanks Larry for the reminder. I will be getting some 3/4 angle iron monday and make it fit the curve of the valance. I wish I wasnt having back surgery so soon so I could get more done, You can see the vette in the background that I have to finish still figured I will get them both in primer at the same time.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Lifsgrt

What is Ted Janek charging for this kit??  Thanks
Best time 11.07@121

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Beep Beep Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam