News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do i remove old fiberglass?

Started by Lord Warlock, September 20, 2007, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Is there an easy way to loosen old fiberglass from metal so i can scrape it off? its held the floor of the trunk long enough, its time to see whats under it.  I put the fiberglass cloth and resin on it back in the 80s/early 90s, lucklily it isn't the whole trunk, but the center portion, and the underlying metal feels pretty solid still, as it supports my weight, but now that i've got the rest of the car moving in the right direction, i don't want any surprises so will force myself to remove it.  I don't have a sandblaster, so have to figure out an alternate way if possible. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bill440rt

1) Torch (watch the fumes!)
2) Grinder.
3) Wire wheel.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Winged 1

;)
Either NAPA or body shop paint store should have a wheel that will fit in your drill. They are meant to remove paint and rust but leaves the metal un touched other than being nice and shiny. Not sure of the name of these but they are put out bu 3M, and are the same size as a 4 inch wire wheel. They work aw sum and wont hurt any thing. Thought of heat but don't think that will work on glass. Might make sure you wear something to breath thru also or have a large fan to pull dust out with..
Best of luck..
:2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

Sometimes if you can get under it with a screwdriver & pry up it will break lose in one big peice if your lucky, or just grind away. LEON.

Doright

A 90 degree high speed die grinder with 2 inch 3m sanding disks 80 grit wear a dust mask! and take your time.

Also OLD Trick put some baby powder on bare skin keeps the glass out of your arms after washing up wipe your arms down with nylons from your wife or girl friend will take much of the rest of fiberglass out of you it works!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Lord Warlock

:eek2:pretty much what i expected, the old fashioned hard way...lol.  Initially i'd seen the rough edges of the cloth, and a couple spots towards the tail lights and another around the filler neck looked a little rough and i figured I'd see if i could trim it down or cut it off, and several fairly large chunks came off, so now 1/4 looks like ass and the rest looks normal, so i'm left with no choice but to take it all off and work the surface to the factory metal.  When i did it originally there were a couple of the drain holes that were eaten away around the edges, and the surface rust caused concern. 

I just got a bitchin set of chisels/punches, i'll try that first, to get the big chunks off, then break out the 12000rpm 6 inch grinder.  I'm used to stripping with a wire wheel on a grinder, but doing it in the confined space with your head nearby is going to be painful when the little bristles shoot off and embed themselves into my legs, arms and face, nothing gets your attention faster than a sharp hot piece of wire sticking thru your pants and into a tender spot underneath.  It'll give me an excuse to get a new wheel, i wore the last one out stripping a couple cars to metal on the outside. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.