News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I am needing help changing ignition lock cylinder in a 70 Charger....

Started by Blakcharger440, September 20, 2007, 04:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I have got the steering wheel off of my 70 charger and i am trying to get the steering collar off of the steering shaft so that I can change my ignition switch and lock cylinder.
I have taken the three bolts that hold the collar to the steering column and I have also removed the snap ring from the shaft.
I am trying to slide the collar over the shaft but it will only go so far and then stop! What the #*@^*$!!!! is going on. Everytime I try to remove it the shaft tries to come out of the column with it!!!!!

What else do I need to do to remove the collar so that I can get to the ignition switch and lock cylinder???

kamkuda

Notes from the Plymouth Service manual:

Disconnect the neg battery terminal at the battery

Remove the steering column cover and remove the two screws attaching wiring cover from the steering column

Disconnect wiring connectors at steering column

Remove Horn ring ornament, horn ring, or rim blow switch pad and ornament

Disconnect the horn wiresat the steering wheel hub

Remove the horn ring

Loosen steering wheel nut several turns and install steering wheel puller tool = Loosen the wheel first, then remove the steering wheel nut and the steering wheel

Remove the screw attaching turn signal operating lever and remove the lever
(On tilt columns, the lever screws out)

Attach a piece of string or fine wire to turn signal switch wiring before removing switch from steering column. When switch is removed, leave string in steering column jacket tubes as an aid to replacement of wiring

Remove screws attaching turn signal switch and upper bearing retainer screwsan remove retainer and turn signal switch and flasher switch.

Remove the two retaining screws and lift out the ignition key lamp assembly

DO NOT scuff light tube coating as this will result in some loss of light.

Remove snap ring from upper end of steering shaft

Remove 3 bearing housing attaching screws

Pull bearing housing from steering shaft

Remove the lower snap ring from the steering shaft

Remove the lock plate pin retaining ring from the lock plate hub. Some resistance may be encountered due to the friction of the ring retaining tangs.

Use a pin removing and installation tool and press the steering shaft lock plate and remove the lock plate. DO NOT attempt removal of the plate by hammering as damage to the collapsable column may result.

Remove the lock lever guide plate screws and plate

With a small probe tool inserted in the access hole provided in the housing boss, depress the key cylinder retainer toward the cylinder to disengage from the slot in the housing bore, then withdraw the key cylinder from the lock housing.

kamkuda

I got to this level and then removed the lock cylinder by inserting a tiny punch in the little hole on the side.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: kamkuda on September 20, 2007, 05:18:21 PM
I got to this level and then removed the lock cylinder by inserting a tiny punch in the little hole on the side.

Yep I knew that but the problem is getting that collar off first so i can get to the lock cylinder. Thanks for posting the instructions.

Blakcharger440

Hmmm...I  did not know there was a lower snap ring on the bearing housing. I wonder how I will get to that???

I have removed the upper snap ring and the 3 screws to the housing but it will still not come off.

Blakcharger440

I have all the inner stuff removed from that collar which includes the turn signal lever and turn signal switch assembly....and the collar will still not come off!

How do you get to this mysterious second snap ring?????

kamkuda

If I remember correctly, I removed the snap ring and bearing.  I removed any screws holding that housing in place.  It was a bit sticky and needed some light persuasion to remove.  The snap ring as I remember was visible and only needed standard snap ring pliers to remove.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: kamkuda on September 20, 2007, 06:17:53 PM
If I remember correctly, I removed the snap ring and bearing.  I removed any screws holding that housing in place.  It was a bit sticky and needed some light persuasion to remove.  The snap ring as I remember was visible and only needed standard snap ring pliers to remove.

Yep you are talking about the upper snap ring which I have already removed. The problem I am having is that I have removed all the screws,snap ring and turn signal lever and that housing collar with bearing will not slip off.

It seems like the bearing collar may be corroded or lightly rusted so that it doesnt want to come off.

kamkuda

I thought mine would not come off but I did need to apply a bit of pressure and it snapped out.  This is assuming everything is removed right, it might just be a bit tight after all those years,

Blakcharger440

I gave  up trying to get that bearing collar off and all I did was just pull out the collar far enough to get at the lock plate and lock cylinder so I could remove them and install a new lock cylinder.....it still bugs me not to be able to remove that collar though.  :flame: