News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car is running like poopie...

Started by Khyron, September 18, 2007, 05:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

Car is sputtering out the exaust and through the carb when I give it gas.

Replaced the plugs, Carb, wires, ect. Can't seen to get this issue resolved.

I rejetted the carb to a set of 72s. Adjusted the floats... and went as far as upgrading to a MSD-6AL box. WTF is this things problem? It's fouling out plugs like there is no tommorow.

Car is a 72 440HP with a mild cam and aluminum intake. Holley 750 on top.

How much voltage is suppost to be at the ignition coil? DO you think it's not giving enough spark? The timing is set at 32 degree. Ran great, this just happened.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Joshua

Sounds like a carb problem.....
Are the floats stuck? Or debris on the needle tip? Sounds like fuel is coming out the vent and getting sucked back into the engine....

BrianShaughnessy

It ran like poopie before all those changes?  Or you did the changes because it started to run like poopie?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

andy74

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 18, 2007, 06:01:11 PM
It ran like poopie before all those changes?  Or you did the changes because it started to run like poopie?
ditto?

Khyron

Quote from: Joshua on September 18, 2007, 05:25:21 PM
Sounds like a carb problem.....
Are the floats stuck? Or debris on the needle tip? Sounds like fuel is coming out the vent and getting sucked back into the engine....

I checked and replaced the floats to be safe and reset the level. I thought the same things.

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 18, 2007, 06:01:11 PM
It ran like poopie before all those changes? Or you did the changes because it started to run like poopie?

I made the changes because it ran like poopie... it still runs like poopie.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BrianShaughnessy

Did you put a new valley pan / gasket on the intake?       Got a vacuum guage /  fuel pressure guage handy?   

Off hand I'm wondering if you just blew a power valve with a backfire.  But it sounds a bit worse than that.
    Those power valve saver kits are cheap.   drill a hole, drop a ball down the hole... put it back together.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Khyron

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 18, 2007, 06:56:48 PM

Did you put a new valley pan / gasket on the intake?       Got a vacuum guage /  fuel pressure guage handy?   

Off hand I'm wondering if you just blew a power valve with a backfire.  But it sounds a bit worse than that.
    Those power valve saver kits are cheap.   drill a hole, drop a ball down the hole... put it back together.

fuel pressure is at 6 lbs, vacuum is good and intake didn't come off.

i'll have to check the carb again. i'll take it back off after Big Brothers over ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

0X01B8

Quote from: Khyron on September 18, 2007, 07:06:44 PM
i'll have to check the carb again. i'll take it back off after Big Brothers over ;)

:smilielol:  me too...  :popcrn:

Khyron

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

Pulled the plugs, re gapped them and cleaned them, checked the power, checked everything else... I'm of the opinion my Carb is crap.

I can't think of anything else that would make this thing run like this. I'll have to scrape some money together for a new one  :'(

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

tecmopar

Other things that can make it run like that are a cracked Dist. cap, bad coil, reluctor gap too large or too small etc etc, good luck.

jg68

Quote from: Khyron on September 18, 2007, 11:55:24 PM
Pulled the plugs, re gapped them and cleaned them, checked the power, checked everything else... I'm of the opinion my Carb is crap.

I can't think of anything else that would make this thing run like this. I'll have to scrape some money together for a new one  :'(

If you need that carb rebuilt, I will be glad to do it up for you at a fraction of what a new one will cost, you send it to me & pay the shipping back, i'll do it for 120.00 & i'll buy the Holley kit, it'll run like a new one & be tested before it leaves, just let me know :2thumbs:

Khyron

Thanks for the offer. but here is where we are at now.

I have a new carb out the box. Tested it and car still has the problems. Returned carb ;)

I replaced the distributer and wires. Car is running a bit better now. I reset the gap in the distributer <not points...electric> and just bought some new plugs ... these fouled out as well, so this is my 4th set of plugs. Got some new wires also.

I redid all the electrical that had to do with the ignition system and replaced the ignition coil as well.

Problem is...while I'm tracking down issues the car is fouling up the plugs...then no matter what I do the car still runs bad... So this time I'm going to replace it all at once.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

BTW: Ran a compression check on the car.... lowest was 120 ... highest was 130. So thank god it's not a back head gasket or bad valve.  :icon_smile_cool:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

firefighter3931

Sounds like the ignition system is weak. Pull a plug and crank the engine over while grounding it. You should be seeing a bright blueish white spark. If you're seeing yellowish orange the ignition is not up to par.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 19, 2007, 06:41:07 PM
Sounds like the ignition system is weak. Pull a plug and crank the engine over while grounding it. You should be seeing a bright blueish white spark. If you're seeing yellowish orange the ignition is not up to par.  :Twocents:

Ron

I agree with Ron, check the ignition.

Khyron

I'll do that tonight. I just switched to an MSD-6AL system. Getting the correct voltage to the Box / Bypassed the balister. and the Ignition Coil has been replaced.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

jackel440

I don't know if this is much help,but could the timing chain have jumped a tooth or something :shruggy:
just a thought.
good luck  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

my car will run like crap and pop fart sneeze and ill that if the vacuum advance is hooked up and it msd 6al i dont have a clue why it does that so i run with the vac adv plugged so it just looks hooked up cause i dont run the v/a anyway . anyone ever heard of that ? prolly not youre problem since it did it before  but who knows .  .... by the way mine has done that with 2 engines and 2 diff distributers! :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Khyron

update, it no longer runing rich, but it's still popping out the exaust  :-\

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.