News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new engine doesnt turn smoothly by hand?

Started by AWSOM50, September 20, 2007, 03:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

I bought an engine all built up and dropped it off at the garage the other week.   The guys who are putting it in tried to turn it by hand, they said it was extremely hard with the plugs in and with the plugs out it was turnable but "notchy" rather than smooth.  Does this mean it has been put together wrong?  Would the stroker crank or high lift cam have anything to do with this?

Appreciate your advice as I don't want to waste putting this in if it's a bogus engine
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

AWSOM50

update: they have now told me the "notch" only occurs once per revolution of the crank..

any advice?
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

The70RT

Whatever the case that doesn't sound good. I would take the valve covers off then turn it and when you get to the hard part check and see if any spring bottoms out. If they are adjustible it could be a minor fix :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mick70RR

One of the rods could be hitting the oil pump pick-up. Some pick-ups are too wide near the block and need grinding/filing for clearance.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Rolling_Thunder

When I built my boss's hemi it was extremely difficult to turn and rotated in a "notchy" sorty of way - it did spin freely without hitting anything...    ring to wall clearance was .003" - pretty much as tight as you want to get them...    This is what made it diffucult to turn...    for piece of mind I would do a teardown - cheap insurance at this point.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip