News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast 1/4 mile car

Started by Moparer, September 05, 2007, 01:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runner

Quote from: Steve P. on September 15, 2007, 12:57:49 AM
You are all set on buying a set of E heads.  I would defffffinitely  suggest a larger oil pan and pick up. A windage tray would not hurt. Not to leave out a good spark system.

i had that choice also,  i love my e heads  lol     good stock electronic igntion is just as fast as a aftermarket box, as long as your not running alot of compresion or you current igntion is in bad shape.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Challenger340

Quote from: Steve P. on September 15, 2007, 12:57:49 AM
Forgive me for sticking my foot in your spokes, but,,, it seems to me that you are doing just about everything to the 383 that you will be saving to do on a 440.. Unless you just don't plan any machine work on the bottom end.To me, this is a waste of time and money.

Let me put this another way.

You COULD put your hands on a 440 block. Get the stroker kit of choice. Pay for all the machining ONE time. Buy ONE cam. ONE manifold. You are all set on buying a set of E heads. I would defffffinitely suggest a larger oil pan and pick up. A windage tray would not hurt. Not to leave out a good spark system.

OK, here's the big point I'm trying to make. All this can be done without touching YOUR CAR. You can still drive it while ordering parts, waiting for stuff and the motor work is being done. Having a motor built and ready to go in cannot be beat. Besides all else, you could have the engine shop set up your motor on the dyno and you
could yank your carb. Bring it in and have the entire deal broke in (PROFESSIONALLY) and tuned. Once the engine is dyno'd it is ready to go into the car. Pulling the 383 and replacing it with a 440 is an afternoon job for most of us.

All in all you will be saving money. Doing the job once and right and down time for the car will be minimal..

This, of course, is just my 2 cents.... :cheers:

Steve P. has some good points here.

What do you ULTIMATELY want down the road ? 438 ?, or 499 W/440 block ?

Costs are gonna be very similar, less acquiring a 440 block.

Keep driving the car while you're building what you want, then just swap over ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Moparer

So after a long hard fought "conversation" :brickwall: with the girlfriend I was able to work out approx. how much a 440/499 build is going to cost over the next 7 months and convince her that it will save me money in the long run to only build one motor instead of 2.  :icon_smile_big: So I'm happy to say that I will be building a 440/499 block for my Charger. I really cant wait to see what kind of 1/4 mile times I will be able to run, not to mention beat the pants off my friends typhoon :D

Steve P.

Now your talkin... ;)    Just don't forget to take a night or two off and take her to the movies or something she likes...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Moparer

Yea defiantly, I might even have to let her drive it down the track once when its finished. :icon_smile_wink: