News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Brake Adjustment

Started by Chris 69, September 17, 2007, 09:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

For a '68 Charger (H-code) with factory drum brakes:

Do I have to take off the wheels and drums to adjust the brakes?

I'm asking because my '73 F-250 has "self-adjusting" rear breaks that (I think) are supposed to adjust themselves when I apply them in reverse. Does my Charger have something similar?

Thanks,

Chris

Charger-Bodie

yes the charger has self adjusters. they can seize up thou so id check them and lube them with anti seize.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chris 69

Thanks, my self-adjusters are propably seized.

I am assuming they work in the same manner as my truck - apply the brakes in reverse.

Chris

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Chris 69 on September 18, 2007, 09:58:10 AM
Thanks, my self-adjusters are propably seized.

I am assuming they work in the same manner as my truck - apply the brakes in reverse.

Chris

that is a correct assumsion!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

y3chargerrt

The 11" drums didn't have self adjusters until 1970. Are your drums 10" or 11" ones?

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 18, 2007, 03:50:00 PM
The 11" drums didn't have self adjusters until 1970. Are your drums 10" or 11" ones?

my 69 charger r/t has them, unless someone installed it.  plus new brake shoes for a 69 charger with 11" brakes come with the stud installed for the adjuster arm. :o :icon_smile_question: :D :shruggy:

Chris 69

Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 18, 2007, 03:50:00 PM

I do not know if they are 10" or 11". I have the build sheet, is there a code for either? Otherwise I would have to go to the (storage) garage to measure directly.

If I remember correctly, one of the options checked off is the HD suspension.

69chargeryeehaa

from what i remember, the 10" drums are smooth on the outside, and the 11" drums are finned on the outside, if you remember what they look like you would know if they are 11 or 10" brakes.  My old charger with 10" brakes had the self adjusters and my new r/t with 11" has them too. :scratchchin: :shruggy: :D

Chris 69

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on September 19, 2007, 09:19:18 AM
from what i remember, the 10" drums are smooth on the outside, and the 11" drums are finned on the outside, if you remember what they look like you would know if they are 11 or 10" brakes.  My old charger with 10" brakes had the self adjusters and my new r/t with 11" has them too. :scratchchin: :shruggy: :D

My drums are smooth on the outside, so they must be 10".

If I take a drum off, how do I determine if they are self adjusting? Can someone please post a picture?

Thanks, Chris

69chargeryeehaa

there is a cable, going from the top spring mount around a guide on the shoe, and down to a lever which adjusts the star adjuster, it's really easy to spot, just look.  if you just have a manual adjuster, then you don't have the cable/lever/star adjuster; for manual applications the adjuster part is not side specific from what i've seen, where the self adjuster ones are side specific (ie: left/right). :cheers:

Chris 69

Thanks for the info, I will check out the drums this weekend.

Chris