News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Complete OE level Gauge Cluster Restoration!!

Started by 706pkvert, September 17, 2007, 09:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

706pkvert

If you are looking for a professional shop with extemely high quality dial refinishing and top workmanship, please check us out on the web at www.instrument-specialties.com

*Tachometers, Speedometers, Clocks, Fuel, Temp, Oil, Amp & Vacuum gauges, etc... Full cosmetic and mechanical restoration.

*All work is 100% OE level show quality.

*All our inks and paints have been color matched to NOS dials. You cannot tell a refinished gauge from NOS! Factory Silkscreened, not decals!

*All work is backed with extensive warranties.

*Tachometer upgrades to work with modern electronic ignitions, Amp gauges converted to voltmeters, voltage limiters upgraded to solid state

*Custom colors schemes, we do it all.

706pkvert

Charger RT

706pkvert

resq302

The charter temp gauge has the incorrect norm op temp reading area.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

rudyjrusa

i used tachman.com - he did a great job on my 1974 charger instrument cluster and turnaround time was fast!

706pkvert

The temp dial is not incorrect. I have seen two different variations of an original Chrysler dial and this is one of them. The other is where the normal scale is centered in the middle.

Thanks

Chatt69chgr

It ain't gonna be cheap.  No prices listed on the website.  I guess you get what you pay for but for some of us that are not independently wealthy price is a consideration.

706pkvert

There are no prices listed on the web page because price depends on condition of a particular cluster or gauge. I offer a free evaluation and price quote if you send a cluster in. My pricing is very competative. You do get what you pay for and I offer nothing but high end workmanship. I also place a 5 year warranty on all gauge repairs and rebuilds, the highest in the industry.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions. I'll be happy to help.

BrianShaughnessy

What's a basic estimate and turn around time on converting a ammeter to a voltmeter for a 69?    Where are you located?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

706pkvert

Cost would be around $125 and about 3 weeks turn around.

resq302

There was a TSB or a recall regarding the coolant temp gauge face.  Most of them were replaced with the correct ones.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

706pkvert

The gauges were not very accurate when new. The only reason Chrysler changed the temp face was so that the gauge appeared to be calibrated correctly. The gauge cores are all the same and have the same asbestos wound wire inside with the same resistance. It's not a matter of what's right and wrong. It's what your car is equipped with.

Thanks

dkn1997

"incorrect" is correct for many cars that came with it that way.  mine was "incorrect" and when I refurbished my cluster, the kit had both types.  I put the one that reads correct in.  you can also calibrate the gauges quiet easily using the little dials in the back.  might even be possible to get an early one to read correct while maintianing the proper "incorrect" original appearance...I have done several and while most were close, a few were way way off. 
RECHRGED

resq302

hmmm :scratchchin: so maybe I can recalibrate my temp gauge that is now reading 30* to warm :scratchchin:

Anyone have a pic of the adjustment dial in the back of the gauge?
Brian

dkn1997

not the best pic, but it's the 1 "holes" at 11:00 and 5:00.   there are little wheels in there with teeth. you can turn the wheels by using a small jewelers type screwdriver.  I beliieve one wheel does the lower 1/2 sweep of the needle while the other does the upper. 
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

looks pretty good but unfortunately I cannot afford their work
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 22, 2007, 08:50:49 PM
looks pretty good but unfortunately I cannot afford their work

706pkvet is offerning "OE" level work.  This type of work, the silkscreening, odometer refacing, converting from amps to volts,  can't be duplicated at home and you get what you pay for, hence the price. 

you can restore your own with quartz clock conversion, decals, hand paint the bezels.  fine for most drivers and if you can live with a yellow odometer wheel, painted bezels, and full functionality, then you can accomplish it at home and get pretty good results.  all the info you need to at least get them functioning correct is on the net, this sight and moparts especially.  even if you have a bad gauge or 2, core clusters are cheap enough and you will find one that works. i find that the factory gauges get a bad rap for not working right, etc... mine were a bit erratic, but simply removal and reassembly fixed that.  calibration made them read correctly.  I think you can get them pretty accurate by building your own solid state limiter, calibration, and cleaning. 

I think his warranty if fantastic and the decal/paint route is not good enough for a lot of people.  plus some of us who went this way will probably get sick of it in a few years and pop for the real deal resto....

RECHRGED

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 706pkvert on September 17, 2007, 09:07:37 PM
If you are looking for a professional shop with extemely high quality dial refinishing and top workmanship, please check us out on the web at www.instrument-specialties.com

*Tachometers, Speedometers, Clocks, Fuel, Temp, Oil, Amp & Vacuum gauges, etc... Full cosmetic and mechanical restoration.

*All work is 100% OE level show quality.

*All our inks and paints have been color matched to NOS dials. You cannot tell a refinished gauge from NOS! Factory Silkscreened, not decals!

*All work is backed with extensive warranties.

*Tachometer upgrades to work with modern electronic ignitions, Amp gauges converted to voltmeters, voltage limiters upgraded to solid state

*Custom colors schemes, we do it all.

would you be able to convert a 150 miles speedo in to 240 Km speedo ?, not only the scale, also the counter. How much if you do?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

706pkvert

I can make a custom KPH appearing dial but the odometer would still record in miles, there is a different odo gear that allows proper registering in KPH. I simply do not have them and would not have a clue where to obtain them. You can email me direct if you have any other question. vintageignition@yahoo.com

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

706pkvert

That dial is no problem. Its the gear that I can't do. Is that your speedo? or a pic off the net?

Nacho-RT74

a pic of the net... a 71 R/T built for export to switzerland and returned back to USA. Was on ebay and I saved the pic.

rudyjrusa

how do paint the chrome or silver around the woodgrain trim piece??  having a problem re-painting trim pieces around the gauges??

706pkvert

The trim around the bezel is platic chrome plating. I can help you with that when you are ready. I'd be happy to re-face your speedo as the export version.

Thanks
Mike

chargerman68

do they retrip the odometer to zero...i only need that done
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL