News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how hard is this?

Started by mikes_classics_68, September 14, 2007, 09:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes_classics_68

hello everyone i dont post here much i usually just drool over everyones cars and try to gather information.
The question is, how hard is it to convert a 318 car to a big block car?
i am looking at a 68 318 and assuming i have the engine already and possibly a different trans, how hard or should i say "expensive would this conversion be? Unfortunately i don't posses the skill to do it myself so i would probably have a shop do it, any suggestions or guidelines or general info would be greatly appreciated  thanks alot!

Mike

Ghoste

It isn't terribly hard at all.  As to cost, it depends of course on how much you have to replace and how NOS style perfect you want to go.  If you just want a bigger engine between the fenders, you get away pretty reasonably.

Brock Samson

i think it depends alot on two factors...
1. how much of the work you do yourself... being as shop time is $60-75 bucks an hour and up...
2. How Deluxe do you want the conversion to be... a simple 440 or 383 or a built 446 six-pack with a/c, disc brakes, TTI exhaust etc...
  like i'm trying to finish...  :eek2:   :icon_smile_wink:

Joshua

IF you have a trans and engine, and both are complete and running.....you could swap it all over in a day.....it's an easy drop in... :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Assuming that matching-numbers values aren't high on your list and you just want an enjoyable fun car?

Then buy the car based on the sheetmetal's condition (rust & bondo) and the overall fit/finish of things.  Don't let a 318 car sway you away from an otherwise good car.  The swap costs a lot in mechanical parts, but it definitely beats bodywork.  The mechanical stuff is reversible at any point, it doesn't need to all be done at once, and the work is very quantifiable compared to other stuff.  (If you pay a shop to swap an engine, then either they did it or they didn't.  But the other kinds of work open up cans of worms about different opinions of "good" work, and you can get over your head about how much should all be done once the car has been torn down, etc.)

chargerman68

did it to mine no problem just finding a motor...thats all

also if u change out the motor u have to change trans,driveshaft,and rearend.... :Twocents:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Ghoste

There may also be a little exhaust adapting but nothing that can't be readily overcome.  You may be okay with the rearend too, some of the 318 cars came with the good stuff.

68chrgrwife

we swapped the 318 for a 440, new tranny, new rearend, that's about it.  Don't see much else that would need to be done.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

dpm68

If I can put a 355 Chev into my Toyota truck, then you can sure as heck drop a big block between the fenders of your ride...good luck!

70charger_boy

If you want to do a bb swap you have to do a full drivetrain swap.  That means you swap the 904 tranny for the 727 and the 8 1/4 rear for an 8 3/4 and possibly the drive shaft.  Also, the motor mounts will have to be fabbed on the kmember

Dave22443

No motor mount fab needed Charger Boy.  I put a 318 in my 68 as a temporary quick fix while I rebuilt my 440.  The ONLY THING I had to change (besides the motor) was the tranny and the driveshaft.  The 318 and the 440 fit the same K-frame perfectly and all the wires match up.  Only the mounts on the block are different and those are off the shelf parts. 

Oh, and I ran headers on both so the exhaust was not an issue.

:Twocents:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

mikes_classics_68

wow thanks for all the replys thiis has been very helpfull  i just want a driver and no a 318 has never swayed me away from a car i just wanted a fairly solid driver to tinker with to get it whre i want but also be able to drive it. the guy said it has a 8 3/4 rear end would that need to be replaced?

69bronzeT5

Yep, just like everyone said. Its pretty simple. Mine was a 318, its now a 383.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

If you already have an 8.75 rearend, it should be capable of handling a 440.  Unless your planning on building up a monster.  :icon_smile_wink:

Argos_Chargers

Don't forget the radiator.  Odds are an old 318 radiator will have leakage and flow issues.  Buying a new big block 4 core radiator is well worth th emoney spent!  Too many people ruin their engines by overheating them.  Now that;s expensive! 

That's my $0.02...
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

70charger_boy

Quote from: mikes_classics_68 on September 15, 2007, 12:11:07 AM
wow thanks for all the replys thiis has been very helpfull  i just want a driver and no a 318 has never swayed me away from a car i just wanted a fairly solid driver to tinker with to get it whre i want but also be able to drive it. the guy said it has a 8 3/4 rear end would that need to be replaced?

I don't know why you want to go through the trouble to do a swap.  I have a 318 in my 70 and it runs excellent and sounds mean.  It also gets 15 miles to the gallon, too

rt green

replace the fuel line with a 3\8 tube. you'll thank yourself for doing it
third string oil changer

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: what exactly are your plans?.. and what do you have to work with?..  :shruggy:

Joshua

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 15, 2007, 06:10:59 AM

I don't know why you want to go through the trouble to do a swap.  I have a 318 in my 70 and it runs excellent and sounds mean.  It also gets 15 miles to the gallon, too

All that trouble???? It's NOT a big deal to swap.......I got 17 MPG with my 440 when travelling a long distance when it was stock....
Sounds mean eh??? :smilielol: But is it quick??? :scratchchin: Nothing worse than having an old car that SOUNDS tough, but gets it's ass handed to 'em by Hondas.......
Chargers NEED Bigblocks....they're meant for each other!!!!  :icon_smile_big: IMO..........

70charger_boy

Quote from: Joshua on September 15, 2007, 01:45:12 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 15, 2007, 06:10:59 AM

All that trouble???? It's NOT a big deal to swap.......I got 17 MPG with my 440 when travelling a long distance when it was stock....
Sounds mean eh??? :smilielol: But is it quick??? :scratchchin: Nothing worse than having an old car that SOUNDS tough, but gets it's ass handed to 'em by Hondas.......
Chargers NEED Bigblocks....they're meant for each other!!!!  :icon_smile_big: IMO..........

I drive real slow so I can see the look on people's faces.  It's also a good way to pick up chics

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Dave22443 on September 14, 2007, 07:54:48 PM
The 318 and the 440 fit the same K-frame perfectly and all the wires match up.  Only the mounts on the block are different and those are off the shelf parts. 

Don't think the wires... Remember coil and dist are mounted in front on BB.

Quote from: rt green on September 15, 2007, 06:44:40 AM

Not really necesary unless you gonna race. For street/strip 5/16 is simply enough.

If engine comes with all miscelaneous, you're pretty done, just take a look on radiator, exhaust fit, And of course all drivetrain stuff: BB matching Tranny or bellhousing if if was manual tranny. Axle would it be a nice upgrade if doesn't have at least 8 3/4, althought NOT MANDATORY.

Better also change T bars and sway bar however not necesary at first instance of change if you are tight on funds.

that's on all engines B bodies setup up 72. 73 and laters are another dff story.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70charger_boy

Nacho made an excellent point about the wires.  If the wire's under the hood look like frankensteins monster it would be good to replace the harness, instead of splicing 40 year old wires

Jon Smith

QuoteQuote from: rt green on Yesterday at 06:44:40 AM

Not really necesary unless you gonna race. For street/strip 5/16 is simply enough.

speaking from experience I'd do the fuel lines and add a decent street/strip fuel pump,
if the fuel supply isn't up to the job it'll be slower than it was with the 318 :Twocents:

miller

i thought before people said i would have to replace the k-frame... i guess i bought extra parts for nothing? :shruggy:

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Mike DC

The K-frame issue has been covered many, many times.  The confusion never stops because it depends on the model-year of car whether a SB/BB swap needs a new K-frame or not.  (And the changeover didn't happen at the same time as a total-body-restyle either, so the info can't just be shorthanded into "2nd-gens do this, and 3rd-gens do that," etc.)

On wedge-head motors in 2nd-gen cars, the answer is easy.  The same common K-frame works on every V8 motor (except the 426 Hemi) with just swapping the small bolted-on motor mounts.