News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help wont start

Started by chargerman68, June 16, 2007, 01:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

EffinDuff

chargerman68

EffinDuff

Looks like two of us... No compression so it's machine shop time and stroker kit for me, but waiting for money $$$.  So the race continues neck and neck.  Till then its a good thing i still have my other wheels.   :shortbus:

chargerman68

i guess i will be walking for awhile..... :coolgleamA:

alfanta

Man, I had really high hopes going into the beginning of this thread, I was having the same problem with the car not starting, Except it was just randomly one day didnt start up. got fuel, got spark, firing order was correct, timing was correct, still not firing.

Fried the starter. :brickwall: took out the old one and found out I shot a rod through my oil pan.  :brickwall:Time to get my 440  :icon_smile_big:.

Good luck with your problem though, I dont know what to tell you. It seems like you are definitly on the right track, and at least you known you arent stuck where I am building a new motor. I bet your timing is just way off from messing with it before.
there is just 4 things the car needs fire.

fuel-you can smell it
spark-you can test it
air-your breathing right?
timing- If the other 3 are there then this is off somehow.

That theory there has never failed me before so...that should get it at least to fire.

Again, good luck!

chargerman68

Charger-Bodie

did that beast ever firre to life????
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68chrgrwife

Nope...N we changed out the starter and re-tried it today...arrgghhh still not working....Bumblebee is getting on my nerves.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

chargerman68

well after months on money and time got the new starter and back to square one.....STILL WILL NOT START........

supserdave

Bring us back to speed  with what it's doing?

chargerman68

bumps over 3 times then stops picks back up and stops again,have had several carb fires, fuel spitting out, triple triple checked the fire order and tdc on #1...im at a total blank point on this motor......

supserdave

To far advanced if its coming out the carb...

chargerman68

i pulled the carb ever which way....nothing

thinking problem with inital timing pulled plug and wire bumped over to #1 tdc but there was no marking on the balancer for 0,10,20 degress on the timing tab.....

supserdave

It could be the #1 piston is at the top of the exhaust stroke. Turn it over with a ratchet on the crank bolt, with the plug out of #1. You need to find TDC, both valves will be closed, so it should hiss out of the spark plug hole pretty good, you should be able to feel it if you plug the hole with your finger. This is where those TDC finders come in handy to find the exact top dead center.

If your positive its at TDC with both valve closed, make a mark on the balancer, that will be your new 0 mark. You will need to pull the cap off the distributor, put #1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing, then do the rest of your firing order.

chargerman68

trying that for the hundred time but we will c

chargerman68

still nothing any ideas......got to be something simple cause i checked everything else

twinscrew698

Man you are having troubles..But let me put my 2 cents worth in!! Did not see any replies to do this!

Try Jumping the Ballast resistor,if i remember you have a two prong right? Just unplug it and use A comparable gauge Wire with a good connection and then try it.

Try with the key ignition then try with the key in run position and use a screwdriver to jump the starter relay and see if getting any spark to plugs while cranking.

Was having almost the same problem with my 73 one day would not start after no problems starting  after engine rebuild,except mine was a four prong resistor.

Found out it looked like the plug was on the resistor but it was not, it wanted to push the prongs away from getting a good connection, had to push wires on while holding the plug assy..
After that no problems with mine...

chargerman68

well after 3 months of wondering y it finally started.........found out had a work buddy come over looked at it for like 5 damn minutes and fired right up...the problem was the rotor on the dist wasnt all the way on :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

oh well...be it sounds real nice with headers and no exhaust..... :drool5: :drool5:

will be doing a proper breakin once i get some kind of exhaust on it its too loud for the navy housing area......

but i fiqure i will let everyone here know,and thanks for all the troubleshooting of here....again if it wasnt for this fourm my car would still be parked in the garage and i would of gave up on it...so thanks :cheers:

68chrgrwife

Ok so I love my husband, but gotta tell you guys what happened yesterday.....Ya'll know how this dang car just won't turn over...Well, hubby has a buddy come over and look at it..10 minutes later the beast was roaring!  (Something about the distributer free spinning).  It was so funny.  He has been trying for months and couldn't figure it out, kept checking wires, plugs, firing order, everything and it was something so freakin' simple. :smilielol: The worst of it all...the neighbors were all outside when it happened...they think it is hysterical....his credibility is shot I think.  Poor hunny. 

On the good side...THE CAR SOUNDS MEAN AS HELL!  Gotta get exhaust soon.

(damn..he beat me too it..I had to pause to take care of kids)
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

mikesbbody

sometimes the simple things are often overlooked, Im just happy for you guy's  :2thumbs:

70charger_boy

It's about freakin' time!!!!!  Congrats, consider this a learning experience.  I had a learning experience today.  I was adjusting my drivers side door latch and broke my opera window :brickwall: :brickwall:

If you guys ever have to adjust your door, put the window down

chargerman68

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 15, 2007, 05:52:41 PM
It's about freakin' time!!!!!  Congrats, consider this a learning experience.  I had a learning experience today.  I was adjusting my drivers side door latch and broke my opera window :brickwall: :brickwall:

If you guys ever have to adjust your door, put the window down

Write that down :icon_smile_big:

supserdave

Awesome man! I knew it had to be something simple!

chargerman68