News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new Mopar

Started by Paul G, September 13, 2007, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I traded in my Ram pick up for a 2008 Caliber. This is my first new car. I have never had a new car before. I got really tired of putting gas in that truck. The Ram got a whopping 12 MPG. The Caliber is getting 27 MPG on the first few fill ups. It has the CVT trans with the 2.0 engine. The CVT is one weird animal that takes some getting used to.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Brock Samson

41husk

I like the 73 in the garage!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NYCMille

Congradulations on your new ride... nothing like getting a new car! :2thumbs:

Dave22443

You only got 12 MPG out of your truck???

I've got a 1998 Ram 1500 Sport 360cid 4x4 automatic extended cab with over 100,000 miles on it and I always get 17 mpg out of a tank.  The only time I get 12 MPG is when I'm towing my 29' Camper.   :2thumbs:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

The70RT

Quote from: Dave22443 on September 14, 2007, 07:48:18 PM

I've got a 1998 Ram 1500 Sport 360cid 4x4 automatic extended cab with over 100,000 miles on it and I always get 17 mpg out of a tank.  The only time I get 12 MPG is when I'm towing my 29' Camper.   :2thumbs:

He probably had a 350 gear like mine. 318 auto quad short bed and I get 15 on the highway if Im going with the wind down hill with the air off. I get 10-12 in town.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dave22443

Mine also has the 3.50 gear. 17" rims and 32" tires.   :shruggy:

I've checked the milage many times and its pretty consistant.  Maybe I just have a lighter foot?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Paul G

Quote from: The70RT on September 14, 2007, 08:08:18 PM
Quote from: Dave22443 on September 14, 2007, 07:48:18 PM

He probably had a 350 gear like mine. 318 auto quad short bed and I get 15 on the highway if I'm going with the wind down hill with the air off.

Yep the truck was a 5.9 with 3:55's, 2" leveling kit on the front. It would tow and haul like nobody's business. I put a Hypertech performance programmer on it. Mainly to correct the odometer for the 285 tires I put on it. The Hypertech actually helped improve the mileage a bit. The dealer I traded it to sold it in two weeks. I wonder how much they got for it?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Dave22443

More then they gave you for it   :nana:

Serioulsy though, it sounds like we had simular trucks, only mine is completely stock.  Even the new Hemi powered 2008 models are rated at 18 mpg highway.

- Abraham Lincoln

The70RT

Quote from: Dave22443 on September 14, 2007, 08:14:52 PM
Mine also has the 3.50 gear. 17" rims and 32" tires.   :shruggy:

I've checked the milage many times and its pretty consistant.  Maybe I just have a lighter foot?

How much ya gettin? Mine has 17's too. I can try and be real easy on the highway and that's about what it gets. It seems to not matter if I have a load or not......go figure?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dave22443

Seriously, I get 17 mpg like clockwork. 

- Abraham Lincoln

Paul G

Last year when gas was around $3.25 a gallon I was practicing "no Brake driving". Thats where you hardly give it any gas at all to get moving and then by anticipating your next stop letting it coast as long as possible before braking. Even at that It only got an average 13.5 MPG. My commute is 11 miles mostly highway.

I really enjoy this little Caliber. Now I can resume normal driving. Fill ups are around $25 a week instead of $60.  :thumbs:

Dave22443

Yeah, and 27 MPG is nothing to sneeze at!  Glad you like the new ride and hope it lasts a long time.  All that money you are saving in gas for the truck can now be put into the tank of your Charger   :2thumbs:

- Abraham Lincoln

WM23N1

I just bought a new ram 1500 hemi 4x4 quad cab about 4 -5 months ago and it really sucks the gas down. Now im thinking of tradin the damn thing for a new jeep compass ralley. http://www.jeep.com/en/compass/rallye.html
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

Todd Wilson

The highway mileage will increase to about 30-32mpg.   Our in town mileage hasnt been overly impressive sitting around 20mpg but my old lady drives like a wild woman going to shit so I suspect thats the lower in town MPG.

One thing to get used to with the CVT tranmission and it will help your mileage is dont race the engine as you take off.  Its hard to explain  but if you put your foot in it some the engine races (also feels like the tranny is slipping)
and the car takes off and the transmission pulls the car up to speed.

It takes some practice but theres a spot where the motors RPMS are like equal to the transmission and the tranny will bring the car up to speed as you push the pedal down at an equal rate. If you go to much on the pedal the engine races some while acelerating. Stay away from that and the MPG will be good. I think thats where my old lady is doing it wrong. Its like you need to increase the gas pedal at the equal rate the CVT transmission is also going up in speed not racing the motor. Go out and drive it and you will see what I am talking about.

As far as trucks  12mpg in town is doing pretty good!

Todd

ChargerSG

Quote from: 41husk on September 14, 2007, 07:09:19 AM
I like the 73 in the garage!
:icon_smile_big:

I was going to buy a Caliber but i dident think it was that good just to sit in(a little knees under your chin feeling), it felt just like my Suzuki and that was the feeling i wanted to vanished. So i dident went for it, i bought a 1970 RT/SE Challenger resto insted :icon_smile_big:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

hemi68charger

Good for you Paul.. You are correct, nothing like a new car. Nice '73 and garage there.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Paul G

Quote from: Todd Wilson on September 14, 2007, 10:19:30 PM

One thing to get used to with the CVT tranmission and it will help your mileage is dont race the engine as you take off.  Its hard to explain  but if you put your foot in it some the engine races (also feels like the tranny is slipping)

It takes some practice but theres a spot where the motors RPMS are like equal to the transmission and the tranny will bring the car up to speed as you push the pedal down at an equal rate. If you go to much on the pedal the engine races some while acelerating. Stay away from that and the MPG will be good. I think thats where my old lady is doing it wrong. Its like you need to increase the gas pedal at the equal rate the CVT transmission is also going up in speed not racing the motor. Go out and drive it and you will see what I am talking about.
Todd
I know exactly what that is now. It took a little while to get used to that. More gas doesn't it make go more quicker. It just makes the engine more louder.

Thanks guys for the compliments on the 73.

Brightyellow69rtse

grats on the new but i have to ask is it worth it for a 11 mile commute?  i get 15-16 mpg in my 03 2500 hemi ram that just hit 100,000. before i started playing with it i was gettin 11mpg so i did get a good improvement over stock. ive always heard the 5.9 were pigs on the gas.

Dave22443

I always heard the Hemi's were pigs on gas   :nana:

- Abraham Lincoln

69charger2002

Quote from: Todd Wilson on September 14, 2007, 10:19:30 PM

Todd

boy this sounds like a fun way to wake up and drive everyday huh?!? if i had to explain all that to my wife just to get her going down the road while saving gas mileage, she'd probably offer to drive one of my chargers WITHOUT a/c instead..
27 mpg isn't worth it to me, to sacrifice only having 158 horsepower on tap.. it would drive me crazy.. my 02 GT vert has 325 hp and gets a legitimate 22 mpg mix of city and highway.. and it doesn't matter if i punch it when taking off..
congrats on your new car though, it does smell good for a while!
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/