News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crank cast or steel

Started by jackel440, September 13, 2007, 06:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

max

for what it's worth,

do i think they will bend? yes.

from laying down? never had one bend but it could be possible.

i stand them up in a homemade crate just to keep from banging them up and keeping them out of my way.

squeakfinder

I want to make one thing clear, I think John is a top notch person. And I value his opinion. He really has helped me out on some things. But the rest of you, I'm not so sure about...

Hang a cam?   :eek2:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

SeattleCharger

Quote from: rotsparts on September 18, 2007, 07:13:32 PM

I want to make one thing clear, I think John is a top notch person. And I value his opinion. He really has helped me out on some things. But the rest of you, I'm not so sure about...

I was told this by a mopar fanatic engine builder to hang a cam, was at his shop when he said this,  if I am wrong I apologize.    A different mechanic, with 30 years experience, head mechanic at shops, and was autoshop teacher at college said hanging a crank doesn't matter.   I don't have any first hand knowledge of which way is best to store,   standing up a crank sounds reasonable and a cam seems supported fine laying on flat surface. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

max

Quote from: rotsparts on September 18, 2007, 07:13:32 PM

But the rest of you, I'm not so sure about...

i get your point. ::)

Nacho-RT74

I think hang the crank makes more damage than rest on floor, if it does some.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

max

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 19, 2007, 09:25:50 AM

now i was told that a crank will streatch in length under it's own weight if it is hung very long. :smilielol:

firefighter3931

Quote from: max on September 19, 2007, 10:00:29 AM

now i was told that a crank will streatch in length under it's own weight if it is hung very long. :smilielol:

About as true as the fact that it will warp when stored on it's side.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

I agree,  that makes sense.   The part of the crank at the first counter weight that is nearest the rope would have extra stress on it from the rest of the weight of the crank, even standing it on the floor would have similar extra stress on crank at the first part above the floor ,  laying it on a flat surface would offer the most support seems like

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

squeakfinder

SeatleChargerDog-

I was just messing with you. My thinking is, I probably wouldn't store a camshaft and reuse it later anymore than I would reuse a set of piston rings. And the one time I bought one new I installed it shortly afterwards.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....