News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker...what's it like?

Started by Purple440, September 12, 2007, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

Could anyone describe to me what it's like to drive a 440 stroker?  Especially going from a standard 440, hopped up or not, to a 440 stroker.  I know there are different sizes and all but just generalize.   I see a slim possibility of stroking mine and I'd like to get some feedback...stories...whatever.

Thanks,

- Doug

Mefirst

The higher torque a stroker engine puts out, will nail your behind allot harder to the seat than a stock 440, your face will also have a much wider :icon_smile_big: when you extend your right leg al the way...

/Tom

aifilaw

more power, especially more torque down low depending on how you build it... you will find yourself accidentally roasting tires and it pulling strong when normally they dont.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Ghoste

How hard it pulls will amaze you the most.  The first time you get two or three fat assed buddies in there and decide to show off to them and the car pulls just as hard as the old engine did with only you in it will be the point where you know the money and effort were well spent.  :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Steve P.

Just remember that it's better to STROKER than to STRIKER...   :icon_smile_blackeye:

They will both cost you, but the later will cost you for life....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Runner

just because its a stroker doesnt automatically make it better. there are plenty of 383s that eat 440s up.  plenty of hard runing 440s that beat up on 500 inch motors,  its all in the combination.     if its done right though, the low end torque is what will really suprise yu,  then again how hard it pulls at 70 mph is alos nice

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

You are absolutely right Runner, but with the stroker kits these days, they are almost like a combo in a box.  Unless you decide to really color outside the lines there are some pretty assured options to pick from.  But there's no doubt a bad combination will ruin the best laid plans.

Steve P.

More cubes, more tire, more converter, More suspension work, more carburetion, more gas, more gas flow, more head, more head, more head,  :naughty:  :slap: Sorry, I got off track a bit. :D

More, more, more....  And of course I WANT MORE......  :naughty:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

srpntlair1

took my 451 home today...all the kids were asking about the $100.00 bill on the dash trick  tape it to it and if you can peel yourself off the seat and grab it under acceleration it's yours......still got my 100 bucks...LOL  got some friends that said they will match dollar for dollar gonna make some money tonite :nana: :nana:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on September 15, 2007, 09:13:26 AM
just because its a stroker doesnt automatically make it better. there are plenty of 383s that eat 440s up.  plenty of hard runing 440s that beat up on 500 inch motors,  its all in the combination.     if its done right though, the low end torque is what will really suprise yu,  then again how hard it pulls at 70 mph is alos nice

:iagree: The combination is everything ! I just watched a nice looking 68 Charger race this past w/e at Norwalk and the car was running 11.40's at 119mph. I spoke with the owner and was surprised to find out he was running an iron headed 383 combo. This wasn't a pump gas build but the performance was impressive none the less. He said that earlier in the season he had run high 10's with the same motor and more gear but decided to tone it down a bit because he didn't want to cage the car. It's a full bodied Charger with no weight reduction.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

NYCMille

Interesting topic. I'll chime in since I have a mild a 440 in my '68 and 471 stoker in the '69 that 471_magnum built.

My '68's 440 is a true workhorse - 0.030 over, stock rockers and pushrods, mild cam, rpm intake, headers, exhaust and 800dp carb - nothing crazy. Powerwise, maybe 410 - 425hp or so but don't really know cause I've never had it dyno'd. I have 23,000 miles on that motor in 4 years all of which have been foot to the floor, kick the sh*t out it type of miles. In the last year I've done 2 4000 miles road rallies and 5 track days (not drag stripe runs, road course tracks) and had that thing spinning between 3000 - 5500rpm for 4000 miles at a clip. Keep in mind both cars have overdrive, one with a GV Unit and the other a Keisler 5-speed.

The main difference I see between the 440 and the 471 is obviously power - the 471 revs MUCH faster, almost violently so, infact I am constantly bouncing it off the rev limiter. I do a lot of high speed driving with my '68 (80mph-130+) and the 440 is a rockstar between 60mph-120mph - there are very few things out there (old and new) that will pulll the'68 from those speeds, but where the 440 begins to slowly trail off in power at about 120+mph the 471 in the '69 just keeps pulling and pulling. Even at 120+mph the 471 still had loads of torque on tap where again, the 440 is beginning to trail off.

My only concern right now is the reliablity of the stoker motor and this is only because I do not have much seat time with it - only about 1100 miles compared to the 23000+ with the 440. I can say that this will be the motor powering my Daytona and we will be doing high speed runs with it (think bonneville). The '68 will most likely top out at 155+ (I've had it radar verfied at 153) where I think the Daytona with the 471 will hit upwards of 180mph.

Again main differences:

MILD 440
Pros:
- It's a 440
- bulletproof reliabity and drivablity, it's a workhorse and Chysler stuck them in EVERYTHING
- very fixable everywhere - if something brakes in the middle of nowhere odds are a NAPA or some other place can get you out of a jam with some instock stuff.
Cons:
- You'll always want it to be faster and more powerful

471 Stoker
Pros:
- POWER, POWER, POWER!
- It's revs like a mutha'!
- Sounds just plain EVIL and goes like stink
Cons:
- Reliability: again, this motor may prove to be just as reliably as my 440 I just may need the seat time to gain the confidence in it.
- If something breaks in the middle of nowhere will it fixable than and there?
- Will it last 20,000 miles without a rebuild?

Jim, if you read this feel free to chime in as you know more about 471 than I do.

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

AKcharger

Quote from: NYCMille on September 18, 2007, 10:28:37 AM
Interesting topic. I'll chime in since I have a mild a 440 in my '68 and 471 stoker in the '69 that 471_magnum built.

471 Stoker
Cons:
- Reliability: again, this motor may prove to be just as reliably as my 440 I just may need the seat time to gain the confidence in it.
- If something breaks in the middle of nowhere will it fixable than and there?
- Will it last 20,000 miles without a rebuild?

Well the reason I went withthe 470 as apposed to the 451 is the side skirts are bigger. It "Should" be just as good as a std rebuild. but really I don't think these engine will ever see more than 50K miles in their lifetime if it's a "normal" weekend cruiser

471_Magnum

I really don't see a reliability concern with the 471.

Comparing the 471 to your 440 is somewhat apples to oranges.

The short light pistons and h-beam rods give the nice light bob-weight on the 471 and makes it rev so quick. The 3.915 (as opposed to 4.15+) stroke keeps the piston speeds realistic.

Unfortunately, that leads to bouncing it off the rev limiter, especially when coupled to the 4.10 gears. If you've still got it set at 6200, it ain't going to break.

Now running it at 180 mph, I make no guarantees. I built it with a stock oiling system. Some upgrades might be in order.

Nice to hear you've been beating on it.  :cheers:
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

NYCMille

Believe me Jim, you'll be getting some phone calls in the near future for some advise...   :2thumbs:

69Coronet

would somebody mind telling me what stroking is. Thanks
Its no disgrace being poor.  Its just inconvienient.

Purple440

Quote from: 69Coronet on September 26, 2007, 08:58:12 PM

In what context?  :rofl:

Steve P.

Remember what you were told could make you blind??   :D

A motor that has greater than stock displacement due to an increase in the factory crank throw. An increase in crank throw increases stroke (the difference between the piston's top dead center and bottom dead center position).
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69Coronet

Quote from: Purple440 on September 26, 2007, 09:25:44 PM
Quote from: 69Coronet on September 26, 2007, 08:58:12 PM

In what context?  :rofl:

:smilielol:

Quote from: Steve P. on September 26, 2007, 09:33:36 PM
Remember what you were told could make you blind?? :D

A motor that has greater than stock displacement due to an increase in the factory crank throw. An increase in crank throw increases stroke (the difference between the piston's top dead center and bottom dead center position).
so do ya just put in a different crankshaft or what

Steve P.

Cranks can be OFFSET ground to change the stroke. Many companies are now offering STROKER cranks and complete kits. Changing just the throw of the crank is possible on some engines, though this is not the norm. In most cases you would also change pistons and also some cases change rods..
Take a look at www.440source.com . They have some great kits at great prices.  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69Coronet

Quote from: Steve P. on September 27, 2007, 12:57:35 PM
Cranks can be OFFSET ground to change the stroke. Many companies are now offering STROKER cranks and complete kits. Changing just the throw of the crank is possible on some engines, though this is not the norm. In most cases you would also change pistons and also some cases change rods..
Take a look at www.440source.com . They have some great kits at great prices.  :2thumbs:

OK Thanks

Sledge57

Don't listen to them, you'll hate it.

Blowing the tires off from a 35mph roll is no fun.

Better build yourself a slanty  :nana:   :smilielol:

Oh yea and what they said about a 470 is true, it's a fast revving animal.

As far as being reliable mines been beat (like a rental car) for 3 years now (I'll be buying my 5th set fo MT ET Street Radials next spring), 7,000 - 10,000 miles or so and still purring like a kitten (a big mean kitten  :icon_smile_tongue:)

Not bad for a "POS PEDAL CAR"  :rofl:

Thank you "Stuntman" (speaking of a POS) where ever you are for that nick name  :2thumbs:
Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

Streetwize

Well i've built a bunch of them, to me the advantage of big cubes is you can put in a big cam, a big carb, bigger port heads and essentially more of "the good stuff", components that would make a convetional size 360, 400 or 440 too radical for street driving. You may not make MORE poewer than the same parts on a smaller motor, but you'll make it at a much lower, more usable for street range driving, RPM. That and you will have much more torque throughout the powerband...roughly proportional to the % increase in displacement.

Strokers have been built since the beginning of hot rodding...They are so popular now because you have the "perfect storm"... the Chinese foundries came in and made cranks and rods affordable to the average enthusuiast, and primarily thanks to Edelbrock making aluminum Heads for motors other than Chevies and Fords it brought competition into the marketplace.

Here's my Latest...517" of Low deck with 380cfm MW port Chapman CNC Stage VI's, Pro-systems 1000 HPcarb, it's pretty much like a 440 running a full time 250 shot. The auto is coming out, 4 speed going back in!!
Wize

www.StreetwizePerformance.com

471_Magnum

Quote from: Streetwize on November 17, 2007, 10:20:53 AMHere's my Latest...517" of Low deck with 380cfm MW port Chapman CNC Stage VI's, Pro-systems 1000 HPcarb, it's pretty much like a 440 running a full time 250 shot. The auto is coming out, 4 speed going back in!!

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!! I got to get me one of them (after I win the lottery).
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."