News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Salt Water as Fuel?

Started by Troy, September 12, 2007, 02:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

This just popped up on one of my news feeds. It's certainly an interesting concept - although there wasn't a whole lot of technical information.

ERIE, Pa. - An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

http://green.yahoo.com/index.php?q=node/1570

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlackDodge

........and the seas are rising due to the global warming thing.............more fuel! :smilielol:

We'll not see this technology mass produced anytime soon while there is still oil in the ground. :rotz: Or the car that runs on salt water will cost half a million bucks.

Good news none the less. :yesnod:

BBD

472 R/T SE

RD

i wonder what frequencies they would have to be using in order to excite the molecules enough so as to break the bond that H and O have... also, it brings back the old discussion as to whether or not radio waves are particles or multiphasic waves of particles running in congruent parallel paths (i.e. multidimensions).  I wonder if they have measured the energy output of the radio waves to see if the signal delineates at reception compared to origin.  Are the waves actually transferring energy to excite the hydrogen and oxygen molecules so as to necessitate a separation or increase in electron orbit levels so as to add to the current potential energy of the atoms while still maintaining its current energy level OR are the waves actually transferring energy to the atoms while losing their own kinetic energy after passage through the solution?

I wonder if they were able to replicate such experiments with demineralized water, or due to the salination of the water and its electric properties, it allows for a separation of hydrogen in a much easier fashion.

Either way, this strictly fascinating.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

eSJayDee

I think the important question is how much energy is required to emit the radio waves relative to what the "burned" hydrogen produces.

Also, like most alternative fuels, even if it is viable, i.e. net positive output, if done on a large scale, what happens?  Do we run out of water &/or do our oceans become more salty & thereby cause further ecosystem problems.

hemihead

Quote from: eSJayDee on September 12, 2007, 04:34:12 PM
I think the important question is how much energy is required to emit the radio waves relative to what the "burned" hydrogen produces.

Also, like most alternative fuels, even if it is viable, i.e. net positive output, if done on a large scale, what happens?  Do we run out of water &/or do our oceans become more salty & thereby cause further ecosystem problems.
That's my question. How to generate the radio waves and how much would a car cost then? Also, would this mean that any beach bordering salt water would be bought up by corporations ? Or would they just sell us an extremely exspensive and unless additive or process for the water to make their money. You know someone have to get their greedy hands into it.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Khyron

Rice cooks faster when you add salt to the water  :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

defiance

Unfortunately, none of the articles seem to mention that running the RF generator currently takes more energy than the hydrogen produces...  But considering that this technology is in its infancy, perhaps whoever buys it (the guy that invented it just wants to sell it off quick and get back to his cancer research) will tweak it into the positive energy production range :D

Khyron

[Conspiracy] and then the oil company's will buy it and bury it... [/Conspiracy]

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Mike DC

Masturbation really does cause blindness, too.

dkn1997

Quote from: RD on September 12, 2007, 03:02:59 PM
... also, it brings back the old discussion as to whether or not radio waves are particles or multiphasic waves of particles running in congruent parallel paths (i.e. multidimensions)...

yeah, that old discussion, I have gotten into more barfights over that one than I can count   :o   

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: 
RECHRGED

RD

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 13, 2007, 10:43:42 AM
... also, it brings back the old discussion as to whether or not radio waves are particles or multiphasic waves of particles running in congruent parallel paths (i.e. multidimensions)...

yeah, that old discussion, I have gotten into more barfights over that one than I can count   :o   

lol  :rofl: :rofl: smartazz  :slap: :smilielol: :P
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Argos_Chargers

Can you just imagine the trouble trying to keep a "fuel" storage unit and all of the lines feeding the power plant uncorrupted by the corrosion and deposits left by salt water.   I'm sure they would invent a delivery system that would require a $1,000.00+ cleaning every few months.  I look forward to dealing with that!
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

dkn1997

Quote from: RD on September 13, 2007, 12:07:22 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on September 13, 2007, 10:43:42 AM

lol  :rofl: :rofl: smartazz  :slap: :smilielol: :P

:shruggy: who, me?
RECHRGED

375instroke

Quote from: Argos_Chargers on September 13, 2007, 12:57:52 PM
Can you just imagine the trouble trying to keep a "fuel" storage unit and all of the lines feeding the power plant uncorrupted by the corrosion and deposits left by salt water.   I'm sure they would invent a delivery system that would require a $1,000.00+ cleaning every few months.  I look forward to dealing with that!
Use plastic.

68chrgrwife

does this mena that they wil ban the beaches to the general public so that we don't "steal" the water?  and make us go on Salt rations so that we don't produce the tuff our selves?
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

wetfeetmi

When I was a young buck, I sprinkled pepper on an open flame! I think it took more energy to raise and shake the pepper shaker than the amount of energy released when ignited. I can also create methane by lifting 12 oz. cans in succession.