News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

uhaul car haulers (out of state)

Started by c5_nc, September 10, 2007, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c5_nc

Need to make a 12 hour trip out of state to pick up a car.  I'm looking at $975 for a transporter.  Or can haul myself.  Uhaul 1-way is $422 for a car hauler (I could not believe it).  I assume people do the "local" $39.95 per day rental and just go both ways?  Can have a car/equipment hauler with 1 brake axle built for $1200 but don't have anywhere to store it when not using. 

The70RT

You can buy a new car dolly for like 750-800. It won't be the real heavy one U-Haul has but does the job. I seen them used for like 4-500. I got mine for like 250 used. I was just the first one to get there before anyone else.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ipstrategies

I have rented Uhaul Trailers local and brought them back in 24 hours and was changed one day. One winter trip I ended up 2 days charged 3 days. They are nice trailers to haul with the brakes are great.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

c5_nc

Quote from: ipstrategies on September 10, 2007, 01:01:47 PM
I have rented Uhaul Trailers local and brought them back in 24 hours and was changed one day. One winter trip I ended up 2 days charged 3 days. They are nice trailers to haul with the brakes are great.

Good, so they were OK with that?  I rented one a couple weeks ago.  I don't remember much from the others I've towed, but the uhauls light alumium and sit low, looks like it would be the easiest.  I was taking one empty at 62mph or so I thought it was bouncing some, maybe to light to tow unloaded?

Troy

It's definitely cheaper to grab one local and haul it both ways. You really shouldn't notice it too much when it's empty and you'll save several hundred dollars. The one-way rates are ridiculous.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68charger383

$422 for the U-Haul one way, Plus gas for a 12 hour drive round trip figuring about 3-4 gallons per hour at $2.75/Gal.  is about $100-$150 for gas, plus your food, wear & tear on your truck and time...might be worth just having it transported unless you want it quicker or cash is tight.

If you have a job where you can work 8 hours during the time you would have gotten the car....this could also offset the cost.

Then again, a road trip, espically to pick up a new ride, is priceless

Could also try Moparts transport thread...might catch someone heading your way with an empty load looking to make gas money. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=transport
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

blackcharger

I rented a car transport (trailer) in July, took it 14 hours round trip, picked it up Saturday, took it back Tuesday morning, charged $158.84. I live in eastern ohio, took it to Detroit, Mich.

jasonfromIKILLYA

yeah, I'm dealing with the same problem.  I have to haul mine from IN to NYC at christmas.  Not quite sure how I'm going to deal with the problem....
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

Highbanked Hauler

Just for grins check out Penske I know there trucks are less expensive and I think they have trailers also
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

ipstrategies

The penkse up the street said I had to rent their truck to pull the trailer. I went to Uhaul and got trailer and pulled it with my Durango 5.9 to haul a Dodge Aspen 8 hours each way the empty trailer is noisy more then anything. On previous trips to pick up my 71 in Virginia and a parts 71 in KY. The insurance is an extra 8.00 and covers tow vehicle and vehicle being towed. They never cared where is was going to get the cars just that they charged per 24 hours. They also would allow me to pick up on closing Friday (around 8 pm) and as long as it was dropped of before they opened Sunday I was only charged for 24 hours.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

c5_nc

I rented a uhaul local, was only charged the $45 b/c returned afterhours.  This trailer was a lot better than the last one, I was taking my time but trailer was fine empty at 80mph although I went slower most of trip.  Back safely but barely, another car lost control and flipped over the top of me.  Concrete slamed into the side and front of my truck, just feel luckly to be alive.

Brock Samson

wow glad your o.k. any more details?..  :popcrn:

41husk

We picked up my buddies 72 RR in VA. with a U-haul trailor, and used another to haul my parts car back from Jefferson City MO. and niether cost over $100.  well worth it in my opinion.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dukeboy_318

i paid 80 to rent one for two days and return it to a different dealer(one way move).  I flew with it drove upwards of 80 mph most of the time and that was with it empty and loaded, it cost me 64 bucks for the two days and then 18 something for the insurance, which i reccomend getting no matter what.  the uhaul trailer i hauled was a steel one though, had to request it, plus it was cheaper to use than the aluminumn one.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

jasonfromIKILLYA

yeah, but there is some new law now that makes you have to pay for a minimum of 4 days for a one way trip.  I called about it.  sucks.  gonna cost me $1000 to move the car 12 hours away.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

The70RT

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on September 18, 2007, 08:41:05 PM
yeah, but there is some new law now that makes you have to pay for a minimum of 4 days for a one way trip.  I called about it.  sucks.  gonna cost me $1000 to move the car 12 hours away.

Buy one

dukeboy_318

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on September 18, 2007, 08:41:05 PM

who told you that bs? , i just hauled mine on july 30th and it was out of state.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

69charger2002

good tandem axle 16 or 18 foot car haulers can be had for $1000-1500. it is the best investment you will ever make if you have room to store them. heck i get rental fees all the time, buddies beg me to let them borrow it for $50 all the time. it has paid for itself not having to deal with uhaul BS.. never again. i bought a 3 car hauler this past weekend, time to get serious. lol
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

jrust

I'd watch those U-Haul trailers ! In June I bought a 3rd Gen. in Dallas and rented a car hauler on a one way trip, $225.00 + tax, back to Austin. During the way back I saw rubber flying off the driver side of the trailer so I pulled off at a Shamrock in Belton,OMG, the left rear and the right front trailer tires were down to the steel belts and ready to blow. I called U-Haul and after 1-1/2 hour of waiting a repair crew showed up, I made the dude change all the tires and off we went. Needless to say, that was one long day but we did get back to Austin without further incident. Anyway, good luck and watch those tires. James

Steve P.

I agree with (BUY ONE)...  Transporters don't give a crap about your classic muscle. They treat it like they stole it. Toooooooooo  many horror stories to remember them all. Many of them having rubber on the 1/4 panels and ripped out frame holes from tie downs...  No way.. No transporters ever for me......
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chris G.

I was thinking of using one at the end of the month, and was wondering if they supply a hitch with the trailer? Anytime I have rented a trailer (from a real trailer company), I couldn't use mine and they gave me one that was compatible. I am lucky to have a u-haul right up the street, but they rarely have a trailer in stock, so I would have to get one ordered. Please let me know about the hitch if you can.

:cheers:

The70RT

Quote from: Chris G. on September 20, 2007, 11:29:30 AM
I was thinking of using one at the end of the month, and was wondering if they supply a hitch with the trailer? Anytime I have rented a trailer (from a real trailer company), I couldn't use mine and they gave me one that was compatible. I am lucky to have a u-haul right up the street, but they rarely have a trailer in stock, so I would have to get one ordered. Please let me know about the hitch if you can.

:cheers:

They will sell or rent you one.

C_stripes

Quote from: Steve P. on September 19, 2007, 07:45:58 PM
I agree with (BUY ONE)...  Transporters don't give a crap about your classic muscle. They treat it like they stole it. Toooooooooo  many horror stories to remember them all. Many of them having rubber on the 1/4 panels and ripped out frame holes from tie downs...  No way.. No transporters ever for me......
My friend had a 71 'cuda transported and when he finely got it, Alot later than told. The fender tag was missing as well as other parts. plus There was a dent in the 1/4
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

greatwn73

I just brought my car back from Maryland and was quoted $550. (3 day min)one way with the online booking so took one locally and went down with the trailer. Cost of the trailer was $136. with insurance and taxes. Funny thing was the truck got better gas mileage coming back loaded than going down. 2200km (1320miles) was $335. in gas.