News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

exhuast

Started by clayman440, September 10, 2007, 11:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman440

I have a 68 R/T 440, w/ flowmasters, but it doesn't sound that great. What kind of mufflers would give me that throaty, deep rumble ? I use to have a Mustang 5.0 w/ flowmasters & it sounded perfect. I want to get the same sound out of my 440, but it's just not happening with these flowmasters.

firefighter3931

Dynomax Ultraflows...you'll luv them !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

keepat

:iagree: Dynomax sound great!

aifilaw

here's a vote for flowmaster 60 series mufflers as the best I've ever run, but then again to get them to sound even better than usual I calculated out the resonance length, put downpipes under the vehicles, and ran cast iron pipe. Since then I've switched to dual 3" regular exhaust pipe, they don't sounds as amazing, but pretty close.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Joshua

There's more to getting a nice sound than just mufflers.......Flowmasters don't sound that good with stock motors w/ stock exhaust manifolds....
Headers, higher compression and a lumpy cam will give a better sound through FM's......
My 440 is fairly mild with a slightly bigger cam, alum intake, headers and 3" exhaust with 40 series FM's.....sounds GREAT!

Build a NASTY motor and it doesn't matter what mufflers ya run....it'll still sound bada**!
:icon_smile_big:

chargerman68

Quote from: Joshua on September 11, 2007, 04:45:23 PM
There's more to getting a nice sound than just mufflers.......Flowmasters don't sound that good with stock motors w/ stock exhaust manifolds....
Headers, higher compression and a lumpy cam will give a better sound through FM's......
My 440 is fairly mild with a slightly bigger cam, alum intake, headers and 3" exhaust with 40 series FM's.....sounds GREAT!

Build a NASTY motor and it doesn't matter what mufflers ya run....it'll still sound bada**!
:icon_smile_big:
:iagree:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

clayman440

thanks, for the input. I think I'm gonna go w/ the Dynomax ultra flow. the car currently has a 440, 509 cam, headders, 2.25" exhaust into flowmasters, ( not sure what kind of FM's) the 2.25"pipe was on there when i got the car. I like the idea of 3" exhuast pipes, but I just got a pair of new stainless exhuast tips that fit a 2.50" pipe, would it defeat the purpose if I reduced the 3" pipe size right at the tips ? or is it possible to stretch my new tips to fit ?

Mean 318

:iagree:

This isnt exactly what I was looking for, but I dont think it sounds bad.Everyone else seems to like it. I wanted more of a crisp rumble. I couldnt afford flowmasters, I have the summit 3" W/ their low rest welded mufflers
Click here for a video ->     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iQ3MOXFhqo

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1iQ3MOXFhqo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1iQ3MOXFhqo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

69bronzeT5

Thought Id throw this in here as well. I have a stock 383 w/ stock headers in my 69. Any suggestions for exhaust/mufflers that gives the car a tough/mean crisp rumble but also dosent eat away at my wallet?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

0X01B8

Is anybody else using the Hemi repro mufflers? I like 'em, they're plenty loud.   ;)  I like the sound of the iron HP manifolds too.   :Twocents:

aifilaw

just remember, if you ever plan to road trip your car, or spend more than 30 minutes at a time in it, quiet is good... rumble gets real old real quick, to the point of a headache causer
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

69bronzeT5

Quote from: aifilaw on September 15, 2007, 12:08:09 AM
just remember, if you ever plan to road trip your car, or spend more than 30 minutes at a time in it, quiet is good... rumble gets real old real quick, to the point of a headache causer

:icon_smile_blackeye:, im planning a roadtrip :lol:

dkn1997

I run 2 chamber flowmasters with stock manifolds, decent cam...resonated a lot. I put a set of summitt glasspack mufflers as resonators and it is perfect now.  just loud enough, no vibration..  sounds way healthier than it did with no glasspacks and headers.

that's one thing, the manifold sound is much deeper and has more "balls"
RECHRGED

Brightyellow69rtse

i put a ultraflow on my truck, having heard Ron preach it time and time again i had to try one. their a great muffler sounds real good when u step on it and theres really no resonance at all. i have delta flows on my charger and their pretty quiet i was really never happy with them. this year in an effort to keep crap off my paint i took off the tailpipes and dumped it at the axl. i like the sound alot better now. its no louder at all when driving but the idle is louder and just sounds alot meaner. i just try not to sit in one spot very long lol.....MIke

69bronzeT5

Hey Ron, how much do ultraflows usually cost for a 69 Charger?

firefighter3931

Cody, The Ultraflows go for ~ $70 at Summit Racing.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Joshua

Quote from: aifilaw on September 15, 2007, 12:08:09 AM

I've driven my car for HOURS...doesn't bother ME...I like a good sounding engine (loud pipes) :icon_smile_big:...I don't even have radios in my cars. :2thumbs:

myk

What mufflers sound like isn't as important as how well they flow and perform, at least to me.  Because of that I will NEVER put FM's on my cars.  I'm using U-flo's on the Dodge now and I don't see using anything else.  ..

69chargeryeehaa

Here's my old 69 charger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRFUKS6KscI
that is with headdman hedders, 3" all the way back and Flowmaster 40's, on a 440.  I liked the sound, but they droned like crazy, that made me hate them.  I just ordered the tti system for my new 69 charger r/t and i hope they sound alot better.  :popcrn: :cheers:

DukesofHoward

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 15, 2007, 05:08:44 PM
I run 2 chamber flowmasters with stock manifolds, decent cam...resonated a lot. I put a set of summitt glasspack mufflers as resonators and it is perfect now.  just loud enough, no vibration..  sounds way healthier than it did with no glasspacks and headers.

How far back of the flowmasters did you place the glasspacks. I'm considering doing the same to my Duster. I guess I'm getting old.

RDR-838

Magna Flow. Deep and throaty and level out after acceleration.

dkn1997

Quote from: DukesofHoward on September 20, 2007, 08:00:53 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on September 15, 2007, 05:08:44 PM

How far back of the flowmasters did you place the glasspacks. I'm considering doing the same to my Duster. I guess I'm getting old.

Just behind the rear bumper, very close to the exhaust tips.  took about an hour, used 2 cheapie mufflers, 4 cheapie muffler clamps and my cordless sawzall.  order the right size and there are no fitment issues.  order the smallest ones possilbe. 

Pics here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19774.0.html
RECHRGED

4aThrill

super turbos gottem on mine not to loud but sound great all together

:Twocents:

DukesofHoward

dkn1997
Thanks for the info and pics. I believe I'll be doing that to the Duster this week.

I love the sound of the flowmasters at idle but cannot hear my self think when I'm on the throttle.