News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A500 conversion..........

Started by BigBlackDodge, September 25, 2005, 08:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlackDodge

I'm thinking about swapping out the 904 I have for a A500 OD tranny..........

I have the 904 out now, it's in need of a rebuild. It and the motor (318) was pulled from a '74 Satellite Custom a few years back.

I've seen several artices on how to swap a 727 for a A518, which requires modding the trans mount, drive shaft......etc. Lotsa work. But I've not run across the A500 conversion? ???

The 318 has been treated to a 600 cfm carb and alum intake, nothing too wild...........new cam and lifters are going in while the tranny is out. This car is a cruiser.............it is not raced, at least at a 1/4 mile track. ;D The car does see interstate duty at times when I drive it to work.........approx 30 miles round trip.

Just looking for ideas/help. Is this a good idea or should I just stick w/ the 3 speed 904?

BBD

Chryco Psycho

I have not done the conversion either but it should be well worth doing especially with gas prices where they are now

BigBlackDodge

Update.............

Found this on the A518 swap...................still looking for an A500. :P

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/43323/

BBD

RD

there was a guy on moparts who did the conversion and actually modified the housing of the tranny instead of fabricating a new tranny mount.  saved a lot of time and energy.  I had pics of his modifications, once  :scratchchin:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander