News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'70 R/T Charger on Ebay....possible VIN swap???

Started by gts95, September 09, 2007, 11:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gts95

Browsing through the Charger section on Ebay i checked out this ad on a supposedly real '70 R/T...here is the auction #: 290158732527.

What strikes me is looking at the fender tag posted it is coded for B5 blue, a 4-speed, and black/white interior. Now look at the pictures of the floorpans (the carpet is out)....they are Burnt Orange all over. It got an automatic console, automatic brake pedal assembly, looks like the taillight panel does not have the R/T emblem, non-woodgrain dash,
etc.
To me there are red flags up everywhere that something is amiss? I mean sure its possible that someone did a color change....but it just does not seem likely that they would bother to paint all the floors Burnt Orange as well you know?? I don't see a hint of B5 on the car.

I emailed the seller this info (it was too late to call) but never got a response.

What do you guys think? (Oh, don't forget to look at his feedback!  :eek2:

Chris G.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D290158732527%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1&item=290158732527

I agree, something is not right about that car. Too bad someone can't check the rad support and around the trunk rails for the VIN. My guess is that they took the VIN and stamped it onto the dash that originally came in that car.  :Twocents:

hemi-hampton

Yeah, Suspicious, He's sure to say in Description not a Clone, I'm not so sure about that, He also forgot the mention the the whole entire Trunk Floor has been Replaced. LEON.

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

The70RT

Not a hint of blue anywhere. I asked for pics of the rad support & trunk lip. I bet he never responds.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dodge Don

Lots of issues here:

That car looks original burnt orange interior.....whatever it was it wasn't white or blue.

The tag has a car with center buddy seat...this one has console.

The tag has no mention of AC yet the dash is an AC dash. And the tag has A33 option which you cannot get with AC.

The tag indicates a AM radio....in 70 the AM radios had round dials...the dash in the car is set up for an AM/8-Track.

Tag build date says 227 (Feb 27 70)...yet the tail lights don't appear to have the reflectors unique to cars buil;t after Jan 1 70.

The dash is missing the woodgrain that is standard on R/T

Also that looks like a 22" rad not a 26" rad.

68charger383

Quote from: Big Lebowski on September 09, 2007, 01:56:09 PM
  What about the burnt orange on the seat. :smilielol: :popcrn:

Maybe if you pull off the vinyl top it will have a the reb flag.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Dodge Don

Quote from: 68charger383 on September 09, 2007, 04:52:59 PM
Quote from: Big Lebowski on September 09, 2007, 01:56:09 PM
  What about the burnt orange on the seat. :smilielol: :popcrn:

Maybe if you pull off the vinyl top it will have a the reb flag.

It is a 70 not a 69...... :brickwall:

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Dodge Don on September 09, 2007, 03:30:18 PM
Lots of issues here:

That car looks original burnt orange interior.....whatever it was it wasn't white or blue.

The tag has a car with center buddy seat...this one has console.

The tag has no mention of AC yet the dash is an AC dash. And the tag has A33 option which you cannot get with AC.

The tag indicates a AM radio....in 70 the AM radios had round dials...the dash in the car is set up for an AM/8-Track.

Tag build date says 227 (Feb 27 70)...yet the tail lights don't appear to have the reflectors unique to cars buil;t after Jan 1 70.

The dash is missing the woodgrain that is standard on R/T

Also that looks like a 22" rad not a 26" rad.

My 70 Charger RT 440 4speed car of course did not come with factory AC but I added it myself and slightly modified the dash to accept the AC vents....so someone could have converted that car but I do agree that there are alot of other red flags and warning signs about that car.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

70 Charger RT

Something's definetly fishy with this one.  I'd want to check out the trunk rail and rad cradle support before I bought it.
QuoteThe tag indicates a AM radio....in 70 the AM radios had round dials...the dash in the car is set up for an AM/8-Track.
I had several 70s with the AM that had the thunbwheel controls.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Charger_Fan

It has the non-R/T tail panel emblems too. I wonder if there's an R/T emblem on the headlight door, or if that's why the doors are open in the pics...because there's no emblem? :scratchchin:

Looks like that car's been patched together from multiple cars & rebadged as an R/T.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

The70RT

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 10, 2007, 11:32:38 AM
It has the non-R/T tail panel emblems too. I wonder if there's an R/T emblem on the headlight door, or if that's why the doors are open in the pics...because there's no emblem? :scratchchin:

Looks like that car's been patched together from multiple cars & rebadged as an R/T.

Same as I was thinking about the covers. He never did repsond to my questions I asked. I wonder if any bidders even noticed anything funny?

PocketThunder

Shoot, i drove thru River Falls friday night to go to a friends house.  i might be going thru that way again this friday night so i could go look at it if i get time.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

gts95

Yeah he never answered my emails either - he's got his number listed I may try and call tomorrow if I get a break at work.

It'd be nice to know where the real car is that the VIN belongs to (given it truely is a fake).....B5 blue, 4-spd R/T sounds pretty nice!

pettybird

yeah 4 speed tag with an AC body (electronic ignition box is hiding the hole for the blower motor, and you can see the AC line holes above the heater hoses) isn't kosher and WOW that's the worst home stamping job i've EVER seen on the engine top pad!    4  4  0      E       come on...  you even forged the wrong damn year.

both cars are pretty interesting!  i love burnt orange on burnt orange chargers, and a b5/white/white stripe 4 speed RT is just plain awesome.

any way to report this to ebay?

PocketThunder

Stopped in and took a look at this car today.  Its has a dealership emblem on the trunk from someplace in Nevada.  The trunk floors extensions were rock solid.  The outer body was beat up here and there and the pass fender was crinkeled.  There was no headliner, the dash was usual for an unrestored car.  Now for the part you have been wanting to hear....  there were NO numbers on the radiator support.  None at all.  Now help me out if i didnt look in the correct spot for 1970's, but arent they right where the 68's and 69's numbers are located?

I will probably be going by this car again next Saturday if you guys want to know anymore.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The70RT

I don't know about a 68 or 69 but on a 70 they are on the numbers are on the drivers side of the support facing the cowl not on top.

hemi-hampton

You might have missed my other comment, The only reason that the Trunk Floor & Extensions are solid is because they where replaced with brand new ones, Who knows how bad the originals were? LEON.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on September 10, 2007, 10:59:31 AM
Something's definetly fishy with this one.  I'd want to check out the trunk rail and rad cradle support before I bought it.
QuoteThe tag indicates a AM radio....in 70 the AM radios had round dials...the dash in the car is set up for an AM/8-Track.
I had several 70s with the AM that had the thunbwheel controls.

The 69 AM radios were thumbwheel. The only thumbwheel radio for 70 was the AM-8 Track. The AM and AM/FM radios were new round dial models.

PocketThunder

Quote from: The70RT on September 15, 2007, 08:57:31 PM
I don't know about a 68 or 69 but on a 70 they are on the numbers are on the drivers side of the support facing the cowl not on top.

Well i learned something new today.  I'll stop by there again on Saturday morning then and check for the numbers on the rad supt where you indicated. 

pettybird

and check the trunk rail if you can...  driver side, under weatherstripping, halfway down.  you can feel under the rail for the stamping "dent" and look there (on top)

i don't think there's a need, though.  fender tag says four speed, body says A/C.  the only explanation there is that the fender tag is a total fabrication...

The70RT

Is it still there? It went for 12K. Unless a buddy of his bid?.........but it was a no res.?

PocketThunder

Quote from: The70RT on September 16, 2007, 08:15:54 PM
Is it still there? It went for 12K. Unless a buddy of his bid?.........but it was a no res.?

Ya it was still there on Saturday.  I'll stop by again next Satruday and see if its gone or not.

I tried to figure out where the winning bidder was located but had not luck so far. 

70charger_boy

The guy who won the car is a real deal.  He is a classic car collector who buys mustangs, gto's and he bought a charger a while back